Texas Fishing Forum

Recutting tips

Posted By: serj5150

Recutting tips - 03/17/22 03:05 PM

Hey everybody I was wondering if anyone had ever tried or have a technique on reshaping the feather to try and cut another tip out of it. Any input is appreciated grin
Posted By: SK.

Re: Recutting tips - 03/21/22 03:15 PM

I haven't but I do use just about all of the farther for v's and use the longer v's for my micro jigs...... confused 3
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Recutting tips - 03/21/22 03:33 PM

YES!!!!,, you dont reshape the feather.. you take the VEE portion that is left over, and tie it onto the jig.. here the key.. when you tie it on, orient the vee so it is in line with the hook shank.. the vee part of the feather actually works better than the single straight feather... the reason is because it resembles a minnows tail. the commonly tied feather jig, when wet is just a thin line in the water. with the natural shape of the VEE part of the feather, it stays slightly seperated with some indulating .
try it,, you will regret throwing the VEES away.. !!!!!!
jigum jigs used to tie something similair, called halo magic If I recall.. dont throw the VEE sections away, if so your throwing away the best part of the feather.. Jigum used all three parts,., the vee, and also the straight cut out in the middle of the vee.
if you dont understand I can take a pic and post it for you.
Posted By: Tin Boat

Re: Recutting tips - 03/21/22 03:34 PM

/\/\/\/\ What SK & Leanin Post said, I use the all of the rest for V's; I learned how to tie by watching SK's youtube vids though so I am probably partial, lol.
If you figure out a way to do it please post it up!
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Recutting tips - 03/21/22 06:04 PM

Thank you Everybody...I've been tying for around 3 years now and I definitely use all parts of the feather except the fuzz or dow at the bottom..I think I just got so focused on how it looks on my vise that I forget the feathers will slim down in the water. Thank you for all the responses everybody, very appreciated!! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum