Texas Fishing Forum

Tips for spring break fishing with my son?

Posted By: shane87

Tips for spring break fishing with my son? - 03/07/22 05:45 PM

I am wanting to take my teen son out this week for spring break and catch some crappie. With the weather changing back cold in DFW where do you expect the crappie to be in the lake? Any tips would be great. We will be bank fishing or canoe with a cheap old depth finder. We live between Bonham and Sherman so easy to get to lakes are Lavon, Bonham, Crockett, Coffee Mill, Waterloo and Randell.

PS my two sons are on different spring break schedules so I will likely go out next week too with my little guy.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Tips for spring break fishing with my son. - 03/07/22 05:59 PM

Scattered is the name of the game. Can you find shallow fish? Maybe, if you really really know where to go. But here in north Texas the spawn was not going yet even before this front. I’d look in 5-15’ on structure at the mount of coves and major creek arms/spawning flats. If y’all are just looking to catch fish and don’t necessarily care about crappie, I recommend trying for some sandbass.
Posted By: DaveS

Re: Tips for spring break fishing with my son? - 03/07/22 06:03 PM

Found a bunch of crappie this weekend while bass fishing. They were hitting a small swimbait. Mostly black crappie, which typically spawn first, about halfway back in the creek. (Think they'd already been to the back) Would probably just throw a beetle spin and cover water until you get bit, then switch over to a slip cork with a minnow (or a jig) when you find them.
Posted By: rattletrap

Re: Tips for spring break fishing with my son? - 03/07/22 09:18 PM

Coffee Mill can be great this time of year. They typically move to the alligator weeds and water primrose in 2 to 3 ft. of water. Yes, it was always muddy looking, at least when I have been there. Bright colored jigs, especially orange and chartreuse. First cove west of the boat ramp to the right has a lot of laying logs in a little deeper (5') water and is easy to get to in your canoe. Also look along the dam. Don't let a bass take your jig away from you. They like the same places.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Tips for spring break fishing with my son? - 03/07/22 10:19 PM

Fish will be shallow spawning or very close to their spawning areas. I would look in the creeks or backs of coves. Especially if you can find some grass and you have black crappie in the mix, they will be there.
Posted By: jig master

Re: Tips for spring break fishing with my son? - 03/08/22 08:08 AM

This cold front put us a week or so back on that real shallow spawn bite I think . Now as the sun comes out and it starts to warm up they will move up to the banks some . I would find some creeks if you can get into any on the north end of the lake start at the mouth or maybe go in some and work my way out till I found them. Look for a lay over in the middle brush tops coming off banks fish it they are there. Fish anywhere from 3 to 10 feet. Make ‘em bite.
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: Tips for spring break fishing with my son? - 03/08/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by rattletrap
Coffee Mill can be great this time of year. They typically move to the alligator weeds and water primrose in 2 to 3 ft. of water. Yes, it was always muddy looking, at least when I have been there. Bright colored jigs, especially orange and chartreuse. First cove west of the boat ramp to the right has a lot of laying logs in a little deeper (5') water and is easy to get to in your canoe. Also look along the dam. Don't let a bass take your jig away from you. They like the same places.

BINGO
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Tips for spring break fishing with my son? - 03/08/22 05:04 PM

Two words...fishing guide.
Posted By: shane87

Re: Tips for spring break fishing with my son? - 03/09/22 02:42 PM

Thanks guys. We tried Bonham bridges but the low water was no help. We are going to try Coffee Mill next.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum