Texas Fishing Forum

Grapevine crappie?

Posted By: rkd

Grapevine crappie? - 03/02/22 04:44 PM

I have a boat in the slips at Twin Coves. Late November/early December the crappie bite in the slips disappeared....at least for me. What time of year does the bite pick back up? Assuming since I'm in Twin Coves I will be catching the fish making their move from their deep water main lake winter rocks/brushpiles to the backs of the creeks for spawn?? March too early to expect the first waves through the marina?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Grapevine crappie? - 03/02/22 05:02 PM

March. they should be heading to the spawning areas about now,...look for water temps at 60*.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Grapevine crappie? - 03/02/22 06:18 PM

I don’t think it would be too early to expect the first wave starting to move in a little bit for pre spawn, but, it just started to warm up here in north Texas, and by the looks of it, it’s gonna cool down again next week. Needless to say I think we’re probably still 2-3 weeks out at a minimum before they’re up shallow spawning.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Grapevine crappie? - 03/03/22 12:26 AM

Need that water to get in the 60s for them to really move in the marinas. From my years of fishing slips at gvine they are always hit or miss you just have to stay on top of when/if they move in. Gvine is a late spawn lake for me and most spawn out deep
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Grapevine crappie? - 03/04/22 04:47 PM

In my 25 yrs experience with Grapevine, it is usually the last lake in the area to have a crappie spawn. I think I wouldn't worry about it for at least another month. And when it happens....go there at night and fish the banks. You won't be disappointed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum