Texas Fishing Forum

My Wife, The Cook. . .

Posted By: Jezreel

My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 12:43 AM

What can I say about my wife, but WOW! ! ! She can cook up some Goooooood Crappie! ! !

First pic is what we call Tin-Foil Crappie. Crappie, peppers, onions, capers, garlic, and lemon over quinoa rice, baked in the oven for 30-40mins. Oh Boy is it ever good. Second pic is what I call Pappadeaux Crappie. Crappie, capers, and artichoke hearts, over basmati rice with white wine, butter and lemon sauce cooked in the skillet. Wow! ! ! Ever so often we go out to eat and get some different fish dishes. After we finish, we pay a $50 bill, and ask ourselves, Why did we go out to eat this when we could have had just as good at home.

My wife says these are No-Fail dishes. I don't know about that. All I know is they are always great. And, don't get me started on our Crappie Tacos with the different sauces she makes.

I just wish y'all could smell these wonderful creations. Mmmmmmmm.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 12:44 AM

food
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 01:19 AM

#2 for the win,.. chef
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 02:46 AM

Mighty fine! food
Posted By: BASSCATONE

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 01:30 PM

Pretty sure most of us will be available for supper if we get an invite....just saying.
Posted By: pop r

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 01:35 PM

food thumb
Posted By: ~Moose~

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 02:07 PM

Very nice.... I have been looking for some different ways to cook up some crappie filets food
Posted By: BOBTHENAILER

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 02:42 PM

Those look and sound good.

I have been trying to get my buddies to try some crappie tacos. Those that have swerved away from the traditional fish fry (still the absolute best!) like them once I can get to try them.

Blackened fish seasoning, tomatos, fresh avocados, home made ranch dressing and some salsa. My wife will put some slaw on hers sans salsa.
Posted By: DaveS

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/15/22 09:34 PM

Any chance she'd let you post the recipe to #2? thumb

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/16/22 12:39 AM

So, my wife is one of these cooks that throws in a pinch here and dash there and so on. But. . . she did write down the ingredients and directions. Mmmmmmmmm.

Poached White Fish with Butter, Dill, and White Wine Sauce

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (for sautéing)
1 1/2 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 Cup Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup White Wine (I use cooking wine)
6 Crappie Fillets
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Lemon Juice (from 1 large lemon; I use a little more)
3-4 Marinated Artichoke Hearts, chopped
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon fresh Dill, finely chopped (use more, if you want more flavor)
1 Tablespoon Capers

Directions:
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil; add garlic and sauté for one minute (be careful not to burn the garlic). Remove pan from heat.
2. Place fish fillets in the pan. Add chicken broth until it reaches halfway up the sides of the fillets. Add white wine, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
3. Return pan to medium high heat, until liquid begins to boil. Reduce heat to low, and cover pan (tightly). Cook five minutes.
4. Turn off heat and let fish rest for an additional five minutes.
5. Remove fish to a plate and set aside, while you make the sauce.
6. Turn the heat to medium high and reduce the liquid by 50%.
7. Turn heat to low and stir in butter, and artichoke hearts.
8. Add Capers. Return fish to pan; cover and turn off the heat; let it rest for a few minutes. (I like to turn the fish over once, while it is resting.)
9. Serve over Basmati Rice. Makes 2 servings.
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/16/22 05:48 AM

I saw this earlier today and went to the store to make #1 as close as I could. They were out of capers so I just added some extra salt pepper and garlic seasoning. It was great!

Thanks for posting, I’ve been looking for a decent alternative to frying.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/16/22 02:47 PM

For #1 what temp does she bake the foil fish at? Both look amazing.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/16/22 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jezreel
What can I say about my wife, but WOW! ! ! She can cook up some Goooooood Crappie! ! !

First pic is what we call Tin-Foil Crappie. Crappie, peppers, onions, capers, garlic, and lemon over quinoa rice, baked in the oven for 30-40mins. Oh Boy is it ever good. Second pic is what I call Pappadeaux Crappie. Crappie, capers, and artichoke hearts, over basmati rice with white wine, butter and lemon sauce cooked in the skillet. Wow! ! ! Ever so often we go out to eat and get some different fish dishes. After we finish, we pay a $50 bill, and ask ourselves, Why did we go out to eat this when we could have had just as good at home.

My wife says these are No-Fail dishes. I don't know about that. All I know is they are always great. And, don't get me started on our Crappie Tacos with the different sauces she makes.

I just wish y'all could smell these wonderful creations. Mmmmmmmm.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You are a lucky man! food

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/16/22 05:37 PM

Yep. She’s Totally Awesome. Here are two more pics. First of some Crappie Tacos she made. Not her usual tacos, but they were really good. The second pic is of some Crappie and Sausage Gumbo. She made her Rue from scratch, and stirred that for 45mins until perfect. That gumbo was ever bit as good as in any restaurant I’ve had.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If interested, here is her best Crappie Taco Recipe.

1. Cover a broiler pan with foil.
2. Chop one red bell pepper, 2 jalapeños, and 1/4 c. red onion.
3. Arrange fish filets and veggies on the broiler pan, where fish will be under direct heat, but the veggies will not.
4. Drizzle fish and veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
5. Broil on high until fish is thoroughly cooked and lightly browned. If veggies are not cooked, move them under the heat source but do not let them burn.

6. Chop Napa cabbage and green onions; set aside.

7. Sauce: 4T mayonnaise, 1T Dijon mustard, 1T olive oil, and 1 T fresh squeezed lime juice. Whisk until well blended (may add a little more lime juice or a few drops of water, if sauce is too thick). Add seasonings to taste; I use chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and garlic salt.

8. Warm corn tortillas in the microwave. On warmed tortillas, layer: cabbage/green onions, fish, broiled veggies, sauce.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/16/22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jezreel

First pic is what we call Tin-Foil Crappie. Crappie, peppers, onions, capers, garlic, and lemon over quinoa rice, baked in the oven for 30-40mins. Oh Boy is it ever good.

[Linked Image]

i need the full recipe on the Tin-Foil Crapy...well, my wife duz...pls

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/16/22 08:04 PM

Tin-Foil crappie recipe coming up later. I’ll get her to write it down. Now that is such an easy meal, even this caveman could make it.

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/17/22 01:17 AM

Okey Doke. . . Foil-Wrapped Crappie with Quinoa and Rice

Ingredients:
4 small artichoke hearts, finely chopped
1/4 C. red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons purple onion, thinly sliced and chopped
6-8 olives, chopped (Calamatta or green olives)
2 Tablespoons Capers
1 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1-2 teaspoons of Italian Seasoning (according to taste)
1 pinch of Kosher salt and black pepper (according to taste)
(Ingredient amounts in this recipe should be adjusted to personal preferences.)

Add these ingredients to a bowl. Squeeze the juice of one medium lemon (or lime) over the vegetables. Add a drizzle of olive oil, stir well then set aside (10-15 minutes, for more flavor).

For half the time given on the package, microwave one pouch of Quinoa and Brown Rice (I use Seeds of Change brand).

Tear a 12 in. X 12 in. piece of heavy duty foil. Fold foil to make three equal sections. On the middle section, layer: 1/3 cup quinoa/rice; 3 crappie fillets; top with veggie mixture. Be sure the veggie mixture completely covers the fish and rice.

Repeat procedure for a second serving (recipe serves 2).

Carefully and completely seal edges of foil and bring ends up slightly (to keep liquid from seeping). Cook for 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven. If fillets are thick, cook an additional 5 minutes. For quick clean-up, eat directly out of the foil.
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/17/22 01:52 AM

Thanks Jezreel! food
Posted By: CrappieKiller62

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/17/22 05:08 PM

Thank you and your wife. Looks awesome.

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/17/22 06:01 PM

food I thank her every night she cooks. Amazing.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: My Wife, The Cook. . . - 02/19/22 06:38 PM

Making me hungry!! food
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum