[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It is with a Heavy Heart that I tell you we lost a Great Man yesterday.

He was without a doubt the Best Father anyone could ever ask for in life. He always had my back and he always will.

He was married to my mother over 52 years and boy oh boy did we love Crappie Fishing as a Family.

The entire family obviously is heartbroken.

We lost him too soon in my opinion. Seems to happen that way with the Good Ones.

I have no details yet and will share when I do.

My Mom has become my priority looking out for her.

He leaves behind his wife, two sisters, a son and daughter, two granddaughters, two grandsons, and four great grandchildren.

A Great Crappie Fishing Legacy for all who have followed our family over the years.

He passed on 02-02-2022 at 2pm surrounded by all his family and he went peacefully.

Must be that Air Force Fighter Pilot precision.

He was a fighter all the way to the end and he left it all on the field.

We could not be any more proud of him.

We Love you Dad and we miss you already. God Bless.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 03:59 PM

angel2 My Condolences "G"
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 04:09 PM

angel2 for your family as you grieve your Fathers loss. Tremendous family photo's and I'm sure you'll cherish the times and memories forever. Stay strong for your Mom and Family.
Posted By: fishingal23

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 04:16 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. But I bet he is fishing somewhere sunny and catching 3lb crappies.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 04:41 PM

Sad he is not with us here. But I know where he is now and he can't feel any better. angel2
Condolences and spiritual strength and comfort for the family.

When you think of "good men" and patriots, Bruce Schmidt is at the top of the list.

I considered it a privilege when he joined me at Cedar Creek. And that pic of y'all two in the cockpit is still awesome.
Posted By: cellis

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 04:51 PM

Very sorry for you and your family. He was a good man.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 05:34 PM

Very sorry for your loss. It is tough to loose a parent. My father died in 1974 & I still think of him most every day.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 05:42 PM

So sorry to hear and I will be praying for ya'll. I always admired how much time you spent with your parents. Great job!
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 06:02 PM

Prayers for you and your family in this time of mourning. He is fishing in heaven and catching crappie and having the time of his life fish hooked
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 07:00 PM

flag soldier

Rest in Peace to a great man.
Jim and Debbie
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 07:02 PM

so sorry for your loss
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 07:18 PM

Prayers to all. You have a lot of great memories!

Ken
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 07:18 PM

So sorry for your loss sir....it's hard to go through....obviously he was a very special dad! Thoughts and prayers for you guys.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 07:22 PM

Condolences to the family Hogon. He was always a happy camper whenever I saw him whether at our shop picking up toys or on the water. He loved you with all his heart but I don't need to tell you that as you already know, and yes, he still has your back my friend. Take care of your mother and we'll see you on the water...
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 08:06 PM

God needed another fishing buddy! Your Dad's Sprit will be with you always. Will be praying for you and your family, knowing the Lord Jesus Christ has control! angel2
Posted By: Fishin" A Jig

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 08:15 PM

Hogon ... i have always enjoyed seeing the smile on your father's face whenever you two went fishing together through your awesome posts with pictures. Sorry for the loss as I know what that feels like as I have lost my father also a few years back. Condolences to you and the rest of the family.
Posted By: Slick Rick ‘06

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 08:27 PM

My heart is heavy and I only know about you and your dad through this forum. Loved the posts, and know that God is near the brokenhearted. Psalm 34:18.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 08:30 PM

Really sorry to hear. I lost my father 4 years ago and miss him every day.

Prayers sent for you and your family
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 08:57 PM

My deepest condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 09:23 PM

Praying for y’all buddy. That’s a day I’m dreading myself. I loved reading y’all’s fishing stories here. No one will ever look up and say they spent too much time fishing with their dad. It was awesome the way you kept him out there.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 09:33 PM

Sorry for your loss sir. You guys have one heck of a family.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 09:59 PM

So sorry for your loss, prayers for you and your family.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 11:20 PM

Dutch was truly one of the nicest person and fisherman that I had ever met. He was always willing to help out a fellow fisherman (I met him on the 720 bridge many years ago when he stopped to talk). Then I had the pleasure of getting to know him and your Mom while working on his boat and realized what special people the entire family was. You could literally see all the Love between them and all of you guys.

My heart is hurting knowing that such a fine man has passed and my prayers and thoughts are with you Glen and the entire Dutch family.

Knowing Dutch, he will be soon be taking out the Good Lord to catch a mess of crappie.

Your Dad will never be forgotten but missed often.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/03/22 11:26 PM

So sorry for your loss, our prayers are with you and your family angel2
Posted By: El_Tortuga

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 01:17 AM

Sorry for your loss.

But wow, these are some great pics. Can imagine how much they trigger the memories, emotions, and funny stories.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 01:39 AM

So sorry for your loss Glenn. I'll never forget our trip to Texoma and the many times we got to meet on several lakes. You and your dad are very special friends to so many on this forum.

Red
Posted By: pop r

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 01:46 AM

Glen I'm so sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family. You guys made great memories together that will always be with you. flag RIP Dutch angel2
Posted By: FowlTrouble

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 02:15 PM

So sorry for your loss. You guys were my favorites by far! The pictures alone told the story. Thank you for sharing your special times with us. May God comfort and bless you and your family.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 02:55 PM

I lost my dad last year. I can't speak for long term, but this has been the hardest 6-7 months of my life. Like you, we lost him too soon. I'm only 37 and wasn't ready for this at all. Having family around to stick together with has been a major lifesaver. Sounds like you have the same. So sorry for everything you're going through
Posted By: aj_jacks

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 05:46 PM

Sorry for your loss. R.I.H
Posted By: Fish a holic

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 06:15 PM

I always enjoyed reading you and your Dad's post. I never met him but I am gonna miss seeing him on the forum. He seemed like a very good man. I will be praying for you and your family during this tough time!
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 06:50 PM

Sorry for your loss sir. God bless you and your family. Happy to hear that you got to cherish so much quality time together.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 07:08 PM

So sorry Glen! My old Beercan buddy he was………..Lowell
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 07:51 PM

Very sorry for your loss. Prayers up for you and your family.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 10:29 PM

I’m very sorry for your loss, I know your Dad fished with you a lot!
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 10:49 PM

I always enjoyed your post because your pics of you and your dad always reminded me of the times me and my dad spent on the water. My fishing buddy checked out on 1/1/2018 and still look at the back seat expecting to see him. Best wishes to you and your family at that most difficult time.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 11:04 PM

Sorry for your loss Sir, looks like a very close family.
Posted By: forsanmedic

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/04/22 11:42 PM

Sorry for your loss
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/05/22 03:26 PM

Sounds like a great man. I’m very sorry for your loss. Prayers sent.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/05/22 03:31 PM

Very sorry
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/05/22 03:59 PM

Loved you Dutch. Save me a place up there, and we'll go fishing again. angel fish
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/05/22 05:14 PM

Dutch is in crappie heaven, slinging those 3 lber's over the side of the boat. My condolences to you and the family. What a rich and fantastic life he had.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/05/22 05:37 PM

Prayer for you and your family.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/05/22 11:02 PM

You did not lose him, he will always be your father and you his son.
Just think of that for a moment.. FOR ETERNITY he will be your father and you his son!!!
. Try to think of it as a short period of seperation and how great it will be when you get to the other side and he is waiting for you , with that big, awesome smile, that only happens when a father looks at his son., Hes sees alot of himself in you , and also sees the individual you have become thru his teaching, patience and love.
Keep on Keepin on, and may God give you peace and understanding.
Posted By: fishrdude

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/06/22 05:55 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. Every time I saw Dutch at the lake he brought a smile to my face and made the day a little brighter. He will be missed. My deepest condolences to you and your family. In every photo you post the love leaps off the page. This is a sad day.
Posted By: Flyingjoe

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/06/22 07:50 PM

Glen, I am so sorry for your loss. I'm praying for you and your family. If you ever need anything or wanna talk, I am just a phone call away.
Posted By: SlabbedSilly

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/07/22 04:17 AM

So sorry for your loss, Glen.
Posted By: stickem2

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/07/22 03:56 PM

The relationship that I've seen between you and your parents says it all. You will speak of him often and miss him always. I too lost my dad much too soon (59 years) but the relationship lives inside of me as it will in you. Teach the grandkids like he taught you and enjoy the legacy as it lives on. My sincere condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: TheThumpChump

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/07/22 04:27 PM

My condolences man
Posted By: crappiekid

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/07/22 11:02 PM

So Sorry to hear about your fathers passing. Really enjoyed seeing you guys from time to time on Lake Lavon.
Posted By: Retired Farmun

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/08/22 05:00 AM

I am so sorry for your loss, prayers for you and the family. May his legacy live forever through your memories.
Posted By: Captain Cook

Re: Heavy Heart - 02/15/22 12:32 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss sir! Seems like a great man is an understatement! God bless you and your family.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Heavy Heart - 03/11/22 12:34 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful replies.

He is missed dearly every day.

It has been a slow process due to the backlog and coordination with the VA.

Here are a couple pics and his Obituary link which was just finalized and released today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

https://www.ariacremation.com/obituary/bruce-charles-schmidt/

Details for the Celebration of Life / Memorial and his Military Honors Burial are at the bottom of the Obituary Link posted above.

March 30th 10AM Celebration of Life
March 30th 2PM Military Honors Burial

For those that want to make it, but cannot we will be Live Streaming the Celebration of Life / Memorial.

Both the Memorial and Military Honors will be posted within days of March 30th if unable to attend or watch the Live Stream.

The link to view the Live Steam or watch either after the fact for those that had prior obligations is also in the obituary link above.

My Dad and the rest of the Family appreciate the TFF Family for being there for us and allowing the sharing of our fishing adventures over the last decade. It has been an honor.

Here are a few more pictures.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

God Bless!
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Heavy Heart - 03/11/22 12:56 PM

I crossed the Tawakoni bridge yesterday and thought of your Dad and how he loved to fish there.

Red
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Heavy Heart - 03/11/22 03:11 PM

As a veteran myself I always appreciated the "fly boys".. or zoomies we called them.,.,. back in desert storm... we were staging at a port warehouse when scud missles started coming in, one hit a warehouse and killed several soldiers right next to us. .. A short time later, we saw a couple what we think were F15 Eagles take off with afterburners lighting up the sky. hauling [censored] and breaking the sound barrier.. it was an amazing sight seeing them hammer down, right above the water . . I asked my platoon sgt what was going on and he said, we have triangulated exactly where that scud missle was shot from and they are going to hammer them.
. Most of the times they would shoot the scuds from trucks and then try to hide, but it didnt work. Thier first missle launch was thier last missle launch,.,

Hogon, is that a citizen navihawk blue angels watch your wearing? I have one getting reconditioned that im waiting to get back.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum