Texas Fishing Forum

How long can you safely keep fish on ice?

Posted By: stretch

How long can you safely keep fish on ice? - 12/21/21 09:26 PM

Going on a 3 day camping trip. How long can you keep crappie on ice before cleaning them?
Posted By: boocat

Re: How long can you safely keep fish on ice? - 12/21/21 09:56 PM

gut, gill and ice.... 3 days no problem
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: How long can you safely keep fish on ice? - 12/22/21 12:49 PM

fish In hot weather [85 +] If i have been fishing for several hrs. i will put em on ice, sometimes over nite ,in the shade/ garage.Clean em next day.When the fish are kept cold there is less mess, blood. In cooler weather iam thinking 48 hrs.. Good luck!!!
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: How long can you safely keep fish on ice? - 12/22/21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lazy Ike
fish In hot weather [85 +] If i have been fishing for several hrs. i will put em on ice, sometimes over nite ,in the shade/ garage.Clean em next day.When the fish are kept cold there is less mess, blood. In cooler weather iam thinking 48 hrs.. Good luck!!!

^^^This^^^ very seldom do I clean my fish the same day
Posted By: leanin post

Re: How long can you safely keep fish on ice? - 12/22/21 04:06 PM

layer the fish and the ice dont just pile ice on top. or vise versa. at 3 full days when u clean them, you will get a funky smell from the innards starting to gas a bit, strange smell, but still ok. drain the water that comes from the melted ice now and then,
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: How long can you safely keep fish on ice? - 12/22/21 04:25 PM

Every commercial fish in the grocery store has been on ice for weeks. You don't think those big ocean trawlers come back to port after a day of fishing do you?

That said, I have kept fish on ice without issues for two days. The longer they are in the ice the harder they freeze it seems. You do need to dump the water as it causes the ice to melt faster. Putting fish on ice makes them easier to fillet. I prefer to put fish right into ice after catching them rather than put them in a live well. I use the live wells on my boat for dry storage.
Posted By: bigcheessee

Re: How long can you safely keep fish on ice? - 12/22/21 04:26 PM

3 days. Pull the plug on cooler, let drain, maintain ice in cooler. 4 days, ungh it may time for the garden or your next door neighbor you don't really like😉 [Linked Image]
Posted By: TheThumpChump

Re: How long can you safely keep fish on ice? - 12/22/21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by leanin post
layer the fish and the ice dont just pile ice on top. or vise versa. at 3 full days when u clean them, you will get a funky smell from the innards starting to gas a bit, strange smell, but still ok. drain the water that comes from the melted ice now and then,

This. Especially the first part. Letting them sit in water will make them mushy. Make sure there's some red to the gills still.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum