Texas Fishing Forum

Learned Something About Ray Roberts

Posted By: JP924

Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/16/21 01:03 PM

BUY MORE MINNOWS! Took a trip to Ray Roberts yesterday, on the way I stopped to buy a dozen minnows with the thought if I run out I'll just use jigs. Well they seemed to want the minnows much more. Used up all my minnows, went to jigs and managed to keep 10 shy of a limit. A couple of guys I was fishing near caught their limit in a couple of hours with of course, plenty of minnows!
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/16/21 01:16 PM

It is by far the toughest lake for me to catch em on jigs. But then again I'm no expert on jig fishing.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/16/21 05:28 PM

cheers Congrats, I have been trying to hit R R but, work or weather has made it hard. I like fishin went its not 95/100 Deg. Hopefully soon, unless i get a few days to ARROW a deer, then crappie will be in last place..
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/16/21 08:16 PM

Ray roberts has always been a minnow summer lake for me. If you are fishing where I think you are, that place get hammered hard. You may try downsizing and using a smaller profile feather jig and see if that makes a difference
Posted By: SangerCrappieMan

Re: Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/16/21 09:36 PM

It is a tough jig lake. I have fished it many years and always seem to do a lot better with the minnows.
I can go to Lewisville lake and just hammer the fish on jigs so I know that it is not just technique.
Posted By: JP924

Re: Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/17/21 01:31 AM

I'm wondering if anyone can explain why Ray Roberts is a better minnow lake while other lakes jigs work fine.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/17/21 05:07 PM

My venture would be Ray Bob is plagued with those little threadfin / shad so the crappie are tuned into eating those.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/17/21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JP924
I'm wondering if anyone can explain why Ray Roberts is a better minnow lake while other lakes jigs work fine.

Most lakes fish better with minnows in the summer IMO. This time of year I really don't think it makes a difference. It could be from the pressure there and that's why they are biting minnows better.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Learned Something About Ray Roberts - 11/17/21 07:56 PM

Fishing with jigs for Crappie is a real sport,...fishing with minnows is real fun !!

fish
` hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum