Texas Fishing Forum

#NoScope- RR 9/16

Posted By: TryHard

#NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 12:52 AM

Looking forward to having livescope one day, but until then we’ll just have to make do. This was a 2.5 hour trip after work today. We left them biting so my buddy didn’t have to drive home in the dark. Best spot was in 11 fow on a lay down log. Finished up fishing brush in 14 fow. All spots were on main lake flats. Water temps 85, still on minnows.
[Linked Image]

Last thing-

I’m hating the bonehead jigs right now. I went back to them today for the first time in months and I immediately started having issues. 10lb braid with a polomar knot and the line kept slipping out of a gap in the eye of the hook. I tried 3 different jigs, 2 different sizes and it kept happening. My redneck jigs never have that problem. I don’t want to bad mouth products, but I would stay far away from these jigs.
Posted By: K.G

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 01:19 AM

Nice Haul Man , Some Really Big Slab's There.thumb
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 01:25 AM

Sweeeet
Posted By: Esnow74

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 02:25 AM

I have had the same issues with a few jig makers. Once I started using a 10# fluorocarbon leader, the problem is not nearly as bad as with braid. I still have it happen occasionally but not too often.
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 02:40 AM

I’m looking at that big ol’ mess of fish and the first thing that comes to mind is thinking I sure am glad I don’t have to clean all those. nuts
Posted By: JSouther

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 02:52 AM

Good catch what lake? Did you weigh any of those big ones?

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Crappie Husband
I’m looking at that big ol’ mess of fish and the first thing that comes to mind is thinking I sure am glad I don’t have to clean all those. nuts

I’m 1/2 way done…
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jon

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by TryHard
Looking forward to having livescope one day, but until then we’ll just have to make do. This was a 2.5 hour trip after work today. We left them biting so my buddy didn’t have to drive home in the dark. Best spot was in 11 fow on a lay down log. Finished up fishing brush in 14 fow. All spots were on main lake flats. Water temps 85, still on minnows.
[Linked Image]

Last thing-

I’m hating the bonehead jigs right now. I went back to them today for the first time in months and I immediately started having issues. 10lb braid with a polomar knot and the line kept slipping out of a gap in the eye of the hook. I tried 3 different jigs, 2 different sizes and it kept happening. My redneck jigs never have that problem. I don’t want to bad mouth products, but I would stay far away from these jigs.

Nice mess of slabs! Have you tried just taking your needle nose plyers and mashing that ring eye gap to close up the space? I can remember doing this on various jig hooks including my own hand poured using matzuo sickle jig hooks. Seems like it solved the problem.
Posted By: jasonslabseeker

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 11:50 AM

clap
Posted By: pop r

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 02:03 PM

Awesome catch and a solid post! bow_down
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by pop r

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 03:30 PM

Beautiful,...what lake..? hooked

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jon
Nice mess of slabs! Have you tried just taking your needle nose plyers and mashing that ring eye gap to close up the space? I can remember doing this on various jig hooks including my own hand poured using matzuo sickle jig hooks. Seems like it solved the problem.

I’d rather just buy jigs that don’t have the problem in the first place, but if I ever run out of other options I will give this a try. Good thinking- Thanks 👍

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 04:46 PM

cheers

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
Beautiful,...what lake..? hooked

Ray Roberts.

Originally Posted by JSouther
Good catch what lake? Did you weigh any of those big ones?

It has to be a giant for me to weigh a Crappie. We had some quality fish in the mix, but no giants.
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

Plus #1. thumb

Plus 2 thumb
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 09:24 PM

Wowzers! Nice haul Josh! interesting they are that shallow in this heat.

Agreed on the jigs, i love their plastics but jigs never worked for me. You can add a speed snap (what fly fisherman use) - it is small, strong, and useful and doesn't slip out of the jig eye. plus it works even better than a loop knot for me keeping the jig horizontal. https://www.amazon.com/Mustad-Class...&hvtargid=pla-570149542008&psc=1
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/17/21 09:56 PM

I'm not a Bonehead fan. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Nothing like having to retie on the water and spend time pinching the eye closed

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/18/21 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides

Agreed on the jigs, i love their plastics but jigs never worked for me. You can add a speed snap (what fly fisherman use) - it is small, strong, and useful and doesn't slip out of the jig eye. plus it works even better than a loop knot for me keeping the jig horizontal. https://www.amazon.com/Mustad-Class...&hvtargid=pla-570149542008&psc=1

Pro-tip for sure, thank you. Regarding the shallow depth, I’m convinced I’ve been fishing way to deep this year and last. I’ll be spending a lot more time in 10-15’ going forward.

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
I'm not a Bonehead fan. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Nothing like having to retie on the water and spend time pinching the eye closed

Yup- I’m one of those weirdos that just wants their stuff to work out of the box…

Gratz on your guide adventures btw. getting your hobby to pay for itself is what dreams are made of.

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/18/21 04:35 PM

Here is a pic of the speed snap on a 1/16th jig. [Linked Image]
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/18/21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by TryHard

Pro-tip for sure, thank you. Regarding the shallow depth, I’m convinced I’ve been fishing way to deep this year and last. I’ll be spending a lot more time in 10-15’ going forward.

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2

Yup- I’m one of those weirdos that just wants their stuff to work out of the box…

Gratz on your guide adventures btw. getting your hobby to pay for itself is what dreams are made of.

Thank you! I will tell you, the fish have recently moved up shallow. I went out to a different lake yesterday for a trip and the fish were in 12 ft and had been in 25 ft. Fall is here and the fish are pushed up shallow feeding. Going to be some great fishing coming up!
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/19/21 10:31 PM

The link defaulted to size 3. Is that what you are using? They are cheap enough I might get some of all 3 sizes.

Re: #NoScope- RR 9/16 - 09/20/21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Yakker

The link defaulted to size 3. Is that what you are using? They are cheap enough I might get some of all 3 sizes.

I think i'm using large which is #1. thanks for asking.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum