Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie reel advice please

Posted By: pmnitro

Crappie reel advice please - 07/04/21 08:47 PM

Needing a new reel for my ultralight rod. Looking for suggestions. I'm a "middle of the road" guy.
Thanks in advance for the help...
Posted By: Gaspergou Master

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/04/21 09:55 PM

I buy cheap $20 Shakespeare reels, or whatever is cheap and decent looking. Think about it; you’re usually flipping a jig about 20ft. from the boat, or dropping straight down, and that’s about it. I hardly even reel when I catch one. Drag doesn’t matter until you accidentally hook a bass or catfish. That’s just my opinion, but it works great, is cheap, and they last longer than my poles. I hope that helps!
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/04/21 10:09 PM

Just buy the Pflueger President in whatever size you prefer and be done with it. They run about $40 and Academy will occasionally put them on clearance
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/05/21 01:27 PM

i have 12 Quantum Optix 10 reels and love them!!! cost $20 at Academy.. best Crappie reel iv ever owned! also caught a bass over 10lb and cats over 20Lb on them .
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/05/21 01:41 PM

IMHO: less is more on this subject. You`ll get lots of opinions just try and find Quality on sale when you can.Depending on how you fish Gaspergou explained it quit well! coolio
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/05/21 02:19 PM

Pflueger President is just a great reel for the price. You cant go wrong with it.
Posted By: Whaler-170

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/05/21 03:04 PM

I like the Pflueger President 25 series, never had a issue with them.
Posted By: pmnitro

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/05/21 08:10 PM

Thanks for all the help. Wife going after Bday present. Pitching my zebco closed face to the side. Nearly new but when fishing with a bobber stopper, it's a pain. All my other reels are spinners. Thinking about the president reel - she is buying.
Buy once - cry once.... banana
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/05/21 09:22 PM

shimano or abu garcia 1000 series,..$30. really good.
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/06/21 02:10 AM

My crappie reels are Daiwa Crossfires and Revros............... I like both alot. As far as I am concerned you cannot ever go wrong with Daiwa
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Crappie reel advice please - 07/06/21 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by hawghoover
i have 12 Quantum Optix 10 reels and love them!!! cost $20 at Academy.. best Crappie reel iv ever owned! also caught a bass over 10lb and cats over 20Lb on them .

This one gets my vote. different sizes to pick from and great quality. I also have used the Mitchell Avocet with great luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum