Texas Fishing Forum

Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake?

Posted By: Captain Cook

Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 06/29/21 07:04 PM

We are going to go camping out there in a few weeks and gonna have my wife tow my boat. I've never heard of it much less fished it. They supposedly have crappie. Just wondering if anyone has fished it with any luck. Thanks!
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 06/29/21 08:49 PM

I’ve caught crappie there fishing for trout in winter. Not sure I would go there just to crappie fish but it might be good! Waters really clear and there’s some big bass in there!

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 06/30/21 05:13 AM

Thank you sir! We just bought a travel trailer last week and this was the only place my wife could get us into for a 3 day weekend. Might leave the pontoon at home and just rent one of their John boats or canoes. I do have a 2 man bass boat in the shop with an 8 inch Hummingbird on it. I just love being on the water regardless. Did you say trout? Didn't know they had trout there. Hmmm
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 06/30/21 11:40 AM

They stock them in the winter. They’ll all be caught out or dead by now. The 2 man boat will work fine there. It’s a small lake. 50 acres or so.
Posted By: bucsfan69

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 06/30/21 03:25 PM

I’m camping at the park right now. It is a small lake, no standing timber or any visible structure . Banks other than the swimming area have a lot of vegetation but I don’t think it’s quite deep enough to hold crappie this time of year.
Maybe if you livescope you can find them schooled up towards center of the lake but your best bet I think would be bass fishing the vegetation mornings and evenings
Posted By: Flags

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 06/30/21 06:15 PM

I have caught a lot of good sunfish in the lake when I was using a float tube. Never tried for crappie. The water is really clear and pretty deep. It gets a lot of vegetation which can make it hard to fish from shore.

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 06/30/21 08:02 PM

Well my pontoon has Lowrance HDS with 2d, downscan and side scan. Also has a spotlock trolling motor. The bass buster had a Hummingbird with 2d and downscan but the drawback is it will be my wife, my 3 younger kids and myself. Hard to camp at a lake and not get in the water when you have 2 boats at home. The bass buster obviously I can only take one kid at a time. Don't really care what we catch or if we catch anything, I just like the thrill of the hunt! Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 07/02/21 12:29 PM

It’s a small lake but there have been some big bass caught out there, I don’t know about crappie. It’s not far up the road to Lake Hawkins or Gilmer if you want to make a little drive one day.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 07/02/21 02:17 PM

Please be aware they have a 5 MPH speed limit on powered boats. Back in the day, I used to scuba dive there and there were alway lots of schools of Crappie. Look closely on your depth finder as this lake has a very pronounced thermocline in the summer.

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 07/02/21 11:15 PM

I think 5mph is about where my pontoon tops out at and that's with a tail wind! Lol. Thanks for the info cantcatch5 and Oldrabbit!
Posted By: Quintin Dean

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 07/12/21 03:54 PM

TPWD deployed a number of artificial moss back habitat structures throughout the lake this past fall. If you can find them, I would think it would be your best bet at crappie, and I am sure there will also be some nice sunfish and bass on them as well! Good luck!
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 07/13/21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Quintin Dean
TPWD deployed a number of artificial moss back habitat structures throughout the lake this past fall. If you can find them, I would think it would be your best bet at crappie, and I am sure there will also be some nice sunfish and bass on them as well! Good luck!

That’s good to hear. Stayed there a few years ago and didn’t have much luck at catching anything. They stocked catfish on our last day there.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 07/13/21 05:01 PM

LTSP is where I did my dive certification back in the 90's . Visibility was not great, but we swam out to a brush pile, it was loaded with fish.
Crappie , sunfish , big cat on the bottom , bass on the fringe.

If you can find some structure, you will catch something,

Mo
Posted By: Texas Fight

Re: Has anyone fished Tyler State Park Lake? - 07/13/21 05:48 PM

I would jig the docks and the main kayak dock if not to busy. Finding main lake structure will be key. Years back they use to stock trout and the bass would eat them and get huge. There was one year Bass boats where in lines after a lake record was caught. Lake is pretty clear. TSP is a hidden gem.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum