Texas Fishing Forum

Boys Are Back!!!

Posted By: HOGON

Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 05:04 PM

I definitely shed some tears of joy yesterday getting my father back on the water for the first time since late March or early April when our trolling motor went out on Fork. It's been so long even I don't remember the exact date. hmmm

We missed the entire spawn this year.

He has been dealing with some health issues and he currently has a torn rotator cuff on his right arm. (Good thing he is a Lefty). banana

My busy work schedule has allowed me no time to get out on the water.

We just got our trolling motor back from the repair shop last week.

Yesterday I woke up at 6am looked outside and it was like the perfect morning and here I was sitting at the house. hammer

I call Dad who is awakened from his sound sleep and I say to him...let's go fishing! Start getting ready I'll see you in 45 minutes.

By the time we got the cover off the boat, had to stop and get gas, clean out the coolers and restock with some fresh drinks, double check tire pressure in the tires on the truck and boat, and drove down to the lake we arrived around 09:45 am at Tawokini.

I honestly did not know how long Dad would be able to take the day. I told him if he got uncomfortable or was hurting just say the word and we would leave. I told him the entire goal of the day was for him and I to spend some quality father and son time on the water which we had not seen in months and I could care less if we caught anything or not for this was not what the day was about for him and I yesterday.

It was about spending time together on the water just the two of us. A belated Fathers Day.

Took a little time to get him situated up in his Captains chair.

Then he wanted to take about 10 minutes to play with the trolling motor remote and just practice putting the trolling motor through its paces.

When he felt comfortable and had his weapon of choice and jigs picked out he gave me a thumbs up...let's Fish!! thumb

The Boys Are Back!!! woot

Weapon of choice was 6'6" ACC Crappie Stix
Lews Baitcaster
Power Pro Super Slick in Aqua Green 20#.
Vanish Gold 8# Leader
Bill Baldwin Feather Jigs 1/16 ounce he had a Lavender and White and a Chartreuse and Chartreuse tied on.
Both jigs dipped in Slab Slobber Extreme Garlic.

First drop within 10 seconds he hooks up...Fish On he hollers while laughing like a kid!!! fish

[Linked Image]

What a great start and the smile on his face to me says it all.

Here are some more pics of our adventure yesterday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As you can see he is wearing his F-4 Phantom shirt. He flew those in the Air Force.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We brought home 19 and caught plenty of shorts so we had plenty of action.

There was no shortage of Thump Therapy.

We did try some timber but keeping my Dad under the bridge and in the shade with the East Wind was what worked best for his comfort.

It was a Great Day and I hope we can get out a little more frequently here in the future. I would like to get him out at least once a week if possible even if just for a few hours.

Tight lines to All. Back the Blue! flag
Posted By: TryHard

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 05:22 PM

Good stuff. I hope my son takes me fishing one day.
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 07:05 PM

Great post and photos. You both are very blessed to have each other to enjoy.
Posted By: fishinman

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 07:33 PM

Good times, for sure!
Glad y’all were able to get out!🎣
Posted By: BOZZ

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 08:03 PM

Nice fish, a good day for sure. I need to make one of those motor protectors for my boat, those bridge columns
can eat up a motor cowling. Looks like you have room for 1 more ice chest in the boat. thumb

Good Luck,
Bozz
Posted By: pop r

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 08:10 PM

Great to see you guys back on the water. That's a nice mess of crappie. Well done Hogon! cheers
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 08:25 PM

That’s awesome, days fishing with our dads as they get older are definitely ones to cherish forever. Thanks for sharing!!!
Posted By: gander

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 08:38 PM

Greatness..!! Memories to look back on
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 09:05 PM

The DYNAMIC DUO puttin in work! Nice Job fellers,Good to see mr. Dutch back on the water again "G" thumb
Posted By: Buckchaser

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 10:04 PM

Great story and great closing statement! Go do it again.
Posted By: Shady15

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 10:24 PM

Good day! And I thank him for his service.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 10:33 PM

Love seeing this. Glad to see y'all back at it. Maybe I'll see y'all soon.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/23/21 10:57 PM

thumb thumb
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/24/21 01:18 AM

Man that’s great! Glad to see y’all back on the water!!! thumb
Posted By: FowlTrouble

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/24/21 02:02 AM

Awesome trip guys!!! My favorite duo hands down!!!
Keep Dad comfy and the fish hook themselves!!!!

Looking forward to more reports from yall!
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/24/21 03:32 AM

That’s a great mess of fish and fishing with your Dad can’t be beat ! Please thank him for his service to our country.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/24/21 12:35 PM

Man that is just awesomethumb I pray that Mister Dutch has a speedy recovery from his ailments thumb quality time with your loved ones is what it's all about grin not going to lie I'm still drooling over that seat LOL hammer I need to get over to Tawakoni because I'm not finding the quality on Lake Lewisville realmad
Posted By: THarris22

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/24/21 12:37 PM

Great to see you both back at it great times.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/24/21 02:32 PM

Greatness!!!!!
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/24/21 05:48 PM

Great job boys! those black crappie look big and TALL! i'm never too proud to fish the bridge pillars. especially in the summer!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/24/21 07:40 PM

"Priceless"! It just don't get any better! thumb
Posted By: Gaspergou Master

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/25/21 12:49 AM

Enjoy every minute of it, and do it as often as you can. My dad has MS and it’s progressed to the point where it’s very tough to go anymore. I really wish we did more of this while he was able. Good work on filling the livewell too, y’all make a great team!
Posted By: crope1

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/26/21 08:16 PM

You know me HOGON,all about them memories being made while they can be. Tell them I said hello
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/30/21 11:43 AM

Great job woot
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 06/30/21 12:11 PM

coolphotos thumb
Posted By: Laner

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 07/01/21 02:04 PM

Best post of the year right there folks! Man just look at that smile!!
Posted By: Double Row

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 07/02/21 10:37 PM

That puts a smile on my face, it sure brought back memories of fishing with my dad. He passed away in 2013, I sure wish we could go fishing together just one more time.
Posted By: Palestino

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 07/06/21 03:23 PM

Looks like you boys had an awesome day!
Posted By: tjs011

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 07/06/21 03:44 PM

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing. Making memories with those who matter most.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 07/12/21 08:56 PM

Awesome post Glen and glad to see that your Dad (Dutch) is doing well and got to do some fishing with you.

I've been so busy that I haven't been on this forum for awhile but glad I was able to see the smiles on you and your Dad's faces.
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: Boys Are Back!!! - 07/15/21 12:45 AM

Awesome post & great pictures. thumb

soldier
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum