Texas Fishing Forum

Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows?

Posted By: Ben Ther

Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/14/21 10:55 AM

Are Jigs harder to fish with vertically then minnows?
Posted By: nellie

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/14/21 11:11 AM

no
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/14/21 12:31 PM

Its more rewarding when the jig bite is good. It may take more dedication compared to dunking minnows but its worth it just to feel the thump.
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/14/21 12:47 PM

The bite is better with minnows, but jig is more fun and simple. Minnows are a hassle.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/14/21 09:00 PM

I feel that jigs are harder to fish with than minnow. Minnows, you can basically drop them down and hold them and they do the work. Jigging, you have to work the jig to their liking on that given day. With that being said, I have minnows with me during the summer because they seem to work better.
Posted By: TryHard

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/14/21 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
With that being said, I have minnows with me during the summer because they seem to work better.

I had a lot of success power fishing a jig earlier in the year. The hotter it gets, the more dominant the minnow bite gets for me.
Posted By: Lollygagger

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/15/21 12:48 AM

They say it's easier to feed them then to fool them. With that being said, I love fishing with plastic jigs mainly because I like having different options in colors. That and once I leave the house for the lake, I don't have to stop and buy minnows and then wonder how long I can keep them alive. Now, I'm not opposed to using minnows every now and then but I just prefer plastic.
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/15/21 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ben Ther
Are Jigs harder to fish with vertically then minnows?

Better question: are more fish caught with minnows than jigs & soft plastics vertically?
Depends on the lure, location, time of day, etc.
Posted By: Ben Ther

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/15/21 03:18 AM

Thanks all for your advice!
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/16/21 11:39 AM

I use minnows in the cold water of winter, rest of the year I use jigs!
Posted By: Gaspergou Master

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/16/21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderman
I use minnows in the cold water of winter, rest of the year I use jigs!

Same here Spiderman! They just work too good in cold 30’ water!
Posted By: oldmerc

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/17/21 03:38 AM

Haven't used minnows in a long time, but I'm sure I've missed fish on some of the tough days. I do use crappie nibbles occasionally.

This is another question to ponder. Do jigs, jigs with crappie nibbles, or minnows catch more fish?
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/17/21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldmerc
Haven't used minnows in a long time, but I'm sure I've missed fish on some of the tough days. I do use crappie nibbles occasionally.

This is another question to ponder. Do jigs, jigs with crappie nibbles, or minnows catch more fish?

I’ve said this before but it falls on deaf ears. Original formula Megastrike will catch any crappie when scent is an issue. They have it at Bass Pro, one tube will last you all year. Put it in the frig when you come in from fishing. Clear like vaseline (same consistency) but smells like garlic.

Used it on soft plastics for bass fishing for years, but it works on crappie too.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/17/21 05:32 PM

What I'm starting to notice myself doing especially summertime is buying and dozen minnows and seeing if I can get them excited and then drop the jig LOL grin... I'm still in the experimental stages wink
Posted By: oldmerc

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/17/21 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderman

I’ve said this before but it falls on deaf ears. Original formula Megastrike will catch any crappie when scent is an issue. They have it at Bass Pro, one tube will last you all year. Put it in the frig when you come in from fishing. Clear like vaseline (same consistency) but smells like garlic.

Used it on soft plastics for bass fishing for years, but it works on crappie too.

Thanks for that.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/18/21 12:09 AM

Nibbles help for sure when they are finicky but minnows are better IMO. I have some nibbles but could not tell you the last time I used them.
Posted By: Shady15

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/20/21 12:11 AM

I mainly fish jigs, but sometimes wonder if I wouldn’t pick up a few more with minnows.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Are Jigs harder to fish with then minnows? - 06/22/21 02:44 PM

The best way to learn to fish a jig , is with a minnow attached.

MO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum