Texas Fishing Forum

Livescope and back problems

Posted By: JSouther

Livescope and back problems - 04/22/21 04:43 PM

My lower back has been bothering me lately and didn’t really think that having my garmin mounted on the deck was the cause. Fishing 3-4 times a week since the spawn is on and hunched over using livescope it has aggravated my lower back. Finally got around to making another mount hope it works. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/22/21 05:55 PM

Nice work. thumb
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/22/21 08:58 PM

That looks great! I need to make something like that.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/22/21 10:00 PM

That’s sharp! I have mine on a 12” RAM mount I got from David at Shut up and Fish! Having it raised off the deck is good!!
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/22/21 10:04 PM

I think you are on to something...you might want to patton the rights t that design before someone else does

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/22/21 11:55 PM

The only thing I don’t like is the wiring and zip ties. I think I’m going to drill a hole in the square tubing and run wires through the mount so they are hidden. The only reason I went this route is the hole was already in the deck with the clam shell.
Posted By: Redwatermelon

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/23/21 01:10 AM

Very nice work!! There's a lot of crappie fishermen that would love to have one of those!
You are definitely on to something. 👍
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/23/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Nice work. thumb

Plus #1. Hope it works and your back gets better! thumb
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/23/21 02:49 AM

Nice and neat. What type Garmin mount is that? Haven't seen that before.

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/23/21 11:56 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gborg

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/23/21 12:17 PM

Fantabulous , prolly have same for the 93sv.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/23/21 01:17 PM

Absolutely very well done JSouther!! clap

My Dad has very bad back issues. He swears it was from flying F-4's and pulling all the G-Forces.

We use that Garmin Quick Mount Cradle as well and that is fantastic.
Ours is mounted to a Ram Mount that comes off the floor to bring the screen to his face.

I will make one recommendation to you in make sure when you put your Garmin on the quick mount that it secures on to the Quick Mount on both sides. It's real easy to think your on the mount good when in fact it has not seated correctly. I was flying down the lake and our Garmin came flying off the Quick Mount Cradle.

It was operator error when it happened so no one to blame but myself had it departed the boat.
Luckily, it happened right as we were coming off a run when it fell into the boat.
I now know what to look for on the back side to make sure it is indeed secure and seated correctly on the mount and I will check it periodically throughout the day.

I will enclose a few pictures so you can see our set up.

One other recommendation is because of my Dads back issues as well as some balance issues I wanted him to have a more comfortable seat to fish from and I wanted to know he would not fall out of the chair. We bought and mounted a Captains Chair for a Pontoon Boat. We literally have folks stop by just about every single time we are on the lake commenting about how comfortable he looks in that chair. Had many state they were going to get one for their boat. It might be another investment for your boat to help with your back pain.

This is the chair we bought and you want the pedestal base to mount it on so it is raised off the floor.

https://www.pontoonstuff.com/products/reclining-pontoon-captain-chair?variant=12216494981189

My dad could not be happier with the chair and I honestly feel if we had not gotten the chair his fishing days may have been over.

Here are a few pics of our set up:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I know the first picture was taken back a bit, but you can see the Ram mount that comes off the floor that the cradle is mounted too.
In the second picture I took of Dad waiting on me at the dock and you can see the Garmin mounted.
In the last picture you can see where the screen sits in relation to my Dads chair.

Ron Duran aka Blue Nitro on the forum mounted all my equipment.

We recently put on a new Livescope pole mount by SEELITE that is not in those pictures.

I think you are really gonna love your new set up.

Thank you for sharing!
Posted By: bear64

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/25/21 12:11 PM

check out "Cornfield Crappie" , they make just about anything you can think of to make live scoping easier/better including raised mounts. great people to deal with also.
Posted By: bighouse161

Re: Livescope and back problems - 04/25/21 02:26 PM

That’s and awesome setup for your dad. I’m sure he’s delighted to be able to continue fishing. Great job!
Posted By: Bud B

Re: Livescope and back problems - 05/03/21 06:31 PM

I've had back problems since the mid '90's, though much less now. When I bought a new boat in 2003, I got both regular seats, plus a bicycle seat, knowing I was going to start doing more crappie fishing, and less bass fishing, so would likely want to start using that regular seat more. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the regular seat hurt my back a LOT more than the bicycle seat. 18 years later, the only time I use the regular seat is when I'm fishing under a bridge so low that the bicycle seat doesn't work. I don't think I could ever just stand up without a seat, like so many of the bass pros seem to do these days, but my back still very much prefers standing while leaning on a bicycle seat, rather than sitting in a regular seat.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Livescope and back problems - 05/04/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by bear64
check out "Cornfield Crappie" , they make just about anything you can think of to make live scoping easier/better including raised mounts. great people to deal with also.

I bought some stuff from them and I think they were closing the business. This was a few months ago, might have had something to do with the kung flu. They were selling out the inventory.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Livescope and back problems - 05/06/21 12:16 PM

Sorry don't know how to post pictures, but I took a seat pole and mounted it upside down. Bolted my garmin unit to it. Simple and easily removed if needed. I feel for everyone with bad backs. Mine hurts standing or sitting. Doesn't hurt near as bad if the fish are biting. Ha.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Livescope and back problems - 05/06/21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by DJB
Sorry don't know how to post pictures, but I took a seat pole and mounted it upside down. Bolted my garmin unit to it. Simple and easily removed if needed. I feel for everyone with bad backs. Mine hurts standing or sitting. Doesn't hurt near as bad if the fish are biting. Ha.

I did something similar. I have a 2 graph Dekit mount that I installed two set pole receivers in, then fashioned 2 seat bases to mount my graph gimbles to. I use 11” seat poles to get the graphs up to a better level.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Livescope and back problems - 05/06/21 12:57 PM

Scope Neck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum