Texas Fishing Forum

Lake o Pines help

Posted By: Fish_in dad

Lake o Pines help - 03/16/21 12:39 PM

I’m new to Texas and this is the first time I have been to lake o Pines, or LOP as I have seen in this forum. I am here with my children and two of them love fishing. I would appreciate ANY tips for us to have some success fishing. We have small kayaks to use and plenty of jigs etc but we lack on the important things like where to go on such a big lake. We are camped at alley creek. Any info, tips, tricks or pm would be greatly appreciated. Having moved last summer I am more confident in my fishing skill and knowledge going after cold water fish like trout and Kokanee than I am bass and crappie but we are excited to learn.
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Lake o Pines help - 03/16/21 02:34 PM

Work the edges of the banks all around the creek. Anywhere you can wiggle your kayak through the brush, there should be fish there. As far back in the creeks as you can get, there should be spawning fish there. Bass and crappie are doing their thing right now.

JR
Posted By: Asleep At The Reel

Re: Lake o Pines help - 03/16/21 04:18 PM

yes, work the banks in the shallow areas. Also there are good fishing spots next to any of the stumps that you can see in the middle of the lake under the bridge. Females will stage there before and after their spawn. On the banks I would start with 3ft water depth and work in. Caught them last year on another lake in about 9 inches of water. Depending on how muddy the water is will depend on their depth. They want to not be seen from above basically. Good luck out there.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Lake o Pines help - 03/16/21 05:59 PM

Fish slip corks with jugs around the banks in Alley. As close to the bushes as you possibly can. There’s fish all up and down the banks right now in that creek.
Posted By: tx6158

Re: Lake o Pines help - 03/17/21 02:23 AM

Don’t do what I did today. I couldn’t get a bite in hurricane fishing in 2-5 ft of water. Hard to get near the bushes with my 8 year old fishing partner much less in them.
Posted By: fishr3

Re: Lake o Pines help - 03/23/21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by tx6158
Don’t do what I did today. I couldn’t get a bite in hurricane fishing in 2-5 ft of water. Hard to get near the bushes with my 8 year old fishing partner much less in them.

There were too many boats in Alley creek yesterday so I tried Hurricane creek. I too could not get a bite. I got skunked but enjoyed watching an eagle and an osprey fly around overhead.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum