Texas Fishing Forum

Big boys club

Posted By: bigcheessee

Big boys club - 01/31/21 10:45 AM

Looking to see how many have got an 18”+ crappie or bigger....or the one that got away. What time of year & where at? I have my story, but mine got away.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Big boys club - 01/31/21 11:18 AM

18" is a HUGE SLAB! My PB is just a little over 15" ! thumb
Posted By: Mo

Re: Big boys club - 01/31/21 02:52 PM

My biggest was 2.78. I did not measure length. Length is for yankee’s and game wardens. 😀

Mo
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: Big boys club - 01/31/21 03:00 PM

I caught an 18” 3 pound white crappie at night on a dead minnow. It was super late and We were getting ready to head back in. I took a friend out on my boat, while waiting for him to fish his last live minnows I put out a dead one- it barely pick that minnow up. The line loosened up a bit, wasn’t 100% sure whether I had a fish. She didn’t fight too hard till I got her to the surface- then the fight was on! When it first starting coming to the surface- it’s mouth was so big my first thought was ditchpickle. What a surprise! Lol
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Big boys club - 02/08/21 04:20 PM

my PB is just a touch over 15". Not sure what it weighed as I don't have a scale in the boat.
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Big boys club - 02/08/21 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mo
My biggest was 2.78. I did not measure length. Length is for yankee’s and game wardens. 😀

Mo

Exactly!!! I'm presently working with several crappie that are 16" long and nearly 3½lbs. I did mount a 3½lb. fish that was near 21" long once. Length can
mean very little in comparison to weight at times.
Posted By: Roushmanf150

Re: Big boys club - 02/08/21 09:09 PM

Finally registered after reading this site for quite a while. And when i saw this post i had to comment with my story.

Me and my dad fish Caddo every year and one spring, mid March, we were catching crappie like no other! Pulled one in that just looked HUGE so measured it just to see. Measured at 17 1/2", dad said son thats the biggest crappie ive ever seen. Well long story short we caught several more over 17" and one that went 18 3/4"!! Sad part is we didnt have a scale nor did we realize how big they really were at the time. Guy at ramp saw us cleaning them and said 'dang boys you must've cleaned atleast a couple lake records there'. Still wish we would have weighed them but i can tell you that they tasted GREAT!

PB-documented- lake naconiche catch and release record black crappie 15 1/4" and a alil over 2lbs. There's a story behind that one as well but....
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Big boys club - 02/08/21 10:07 PM

17 3/4" , 2.94 Lake Fork Feb 2018, on a minnow

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Eric

Re: Big boys club - 02/09/21 10:06 PM

i caught 2 that went 17.25 " many years apart but weighed neither .My batteries were dead on my scale and Elmo was closed at marina . The second one was a lot taller and thicker. In the pic the one next to big girs was 15.5 "

The top right one is 10" exactly .I measured twice to make sure it was legal.

pic to follow from phone[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Big boys club - 02/09/21 10:33 PM

I caught a 17.5” 2.7# on lake fork back when I was about 12 years old. It was spawned out, wish she was full with eggs. I actually made the little local paper at fork back then.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum