Texas Fishing Forum

Jigging Kastmasters?

Posted By: Flags

Jigging Kastmasters? - 01/12/21 09:08 PM

I am a big fan of Kastmasters for trout and have used them for years. I have heard of folks jigging them for crappie and was wondering if anyone here has tried that technique? I used to jig them under the ice in my native CO for rainbows and the occasional kokanee salmon and they worked well for that. I was thinking of trying them at Lake Meredith this spring.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Jigging Kastmasters? - 01/13/21 12:27 AM

Im sure it would in the right place and right time...jigging around a brushpile with a treble hook may be a learning experience,.. fish
Posted By: pop r

Re: Jigging Kastmasters? - 01/13/21 02:40 AM

Years ago I was fishing one of the bridges on Joe Pool when I came up on guy tearing up the crappie on a small Kastmaster. I purchased a few and went back out to the same bridge the next day off. I didn't catch any crappie but I caught several Black bass till I lost all the jigs from hanging up. I have never tried them again but I saw them in action so they do catch crappie.
Posted By: fridays86

Re: Jigging Kastmasters? - 01/13/21 05:30 AM

I would look into using those on drop offs and channel ledges. I can see how using them around bridge columns would work also.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Jigging Kastmasters? - 01/13/21 07:58 PM

I've used small kastmasters several times. Works best in winter. Jig the same way you do for trout. Plenty of crappie in open water in the winter.
Posted By: gdr_11

Re: Jigging Kastmasters? - 01/15/21 04:26 PM

Kastmaster is my go to but I always change out the trebles for a single siwash hook
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Jigging Kastmasters? - 01/16/21 01:33 AM

They work good simply reeled in as well. Just keep them off the bottom. Fish below was caught with a Kastmaster (gold):

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum