Texas Fishing Forum

Breading Fillets

Posted By: hung-up101

Breading Fillets - 12/13/20 02:03 PM

Anyone ever pre-bread/batter their fillets before freezing? I've heard about it but never tried it. Also anyone Air Fry crappie??
Posted By: Mo

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/13/20 06:12 PM

I tried air fryer once with Louisiana fry mix. Turned out ok. , certainly not as good as deep fried in peanut oil.
I see now they have special mix for air fryer, may give that a try in the future.

Mo
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/13/20 06:25 PM

Air fry only now. Even crappie cakes are air fried.
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/13/20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by RODS454
Air fry only now. Even crappie cakes are air fried.

Mind sharing how you make your crappie cakes?
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/13/20 08:20 PM

I bread and freeze, work out fine.

I wash and dry fillets, then coat with yellow mustard. I like the Lousiann yellow - crispy chicken breader, with a little slap yo mommoa added...

Put mustard coated fillets in the breader, and then shake off well. Just want a light coating. Very light coating. Put on sheets of wax paper and freeze.

I have tried air frying these, and they are ok... but not as good a peanut oil at about 370.

IF you want to air fry, spray with a little cooking oil helps them crisp up some.

Good luck all. Stay safe.

Ken
Posted By: BigJoeTx1212

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/13/20 08:34 PM

Crappie cakes? I'm listening.....
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/13/20 09:16 PM

Matthew Carroll, Jigum, shared his crappie cake recipe with the Forum. He used Zatarains crab cake mix and substituted 1 lb of fillets for the crab meat. Put the crappie meat in a food processor and lightly shred. Then follow the recipe on the box. He made small balls dropped in the grease and they are great. I'm sure some cakes baked or air fried would be great also. Of course if you want spicy, add the hot stuff to the mix.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/13/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
Matthew Carroll, Jigum, shared his crappie cake recipe with the Forum. He used Zatarains crab cake mix and substituted 1 lb of fillets for the crab meat. Put the crappie meat in a food processor and lightly shred. Then follow the recipe on the box. He made small balls dropped in the grease and they are great. I'm sure some cakes baked or air fried would be great also. Of course if you want spicy, add the hot stuff to the mix.

Now I am hungry! food
Posted By: fridays86

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/14/20 06:19 AM

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

I use this, had to take screen shots of it so I would remember everything, really good! Children love them also, little Mayonaise aioli and they will hit the spot. Pictures may be out of order. Also may try frying them in olive oil with your favorite seasoning, fresh parsley and fresh garlic.

Attached picture 1BF0FFA9-23F8-4704-BFDA-54084CF5EC47.jpeg
Attached picture 22D5B7ED-716E-4F01-8B72-EB15D41FF036.jpeg
Attached picture 18819272-3742-4E45-A78D-82629EC0A60F.jpeg
Posted By: BassPontoon

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/14/20 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by fridays86
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

I use this, had to take screen shots of it so I would remember everything, really good! Children love them also, little Mayonaise aioli and they will hit the spot. Pictures may be out of order. Also may try frying them in olive oil with your favorite seasoning, fresh parsley and fresh garlic.

Looks great! I’ll be trying this soon
Posted By: hung-up101

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/14/20 11:49 AM

Thanks Guys, Now I'm hungry. They may never make it to the freezer. roflmao
Posted By: DOFC

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/15/20 02:45 AM

I bread filets for my mother. I just use the Louisiana breading mix and lay the filets on a cookie sheet to freeze nice and flat. Then I put them individually in Zip Loc sandwich bags and put about 10 of those in a gallon bag. She doesn't eat much, so she just takes out one at a time and puts it straight into her Fry Daddy. She says that it works great for her.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/15/20 01:43 PM

So many good ways to enjoy Crappie cakes.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/15/20 11:43 PM

Good info here thumb
Posted By: UJC

Re: Breading Fillets - 12/19/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Gaby

The original Matthew Carroll post:

Sun Jul 27 2014 | 09:51 AM Matthew Carroll: Re: Crappie cakes
Here Ya Go!
Get the Zatarans crab cake mix. Where it says to put in 1 lb. of crab I substitute with crappie..
I put the crappie in a food processor and pulverize it with one med White onion.
Follow the box directions. After mixing, put it in the fridge for about 2 hours, this lets the mixture get firm.. Wet your hands and make some patties, (just like a salmon patty), fry just like your would a salmon patty, I use canola oil..
Enjoy!

Ernest Paty added to it if I remember correctly to place some oil in your palms when shaping the patties to keep a patty from sticking to your hands. I use neoprene gloves with a little oil. I also use a whole medium onion.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum