Texas Fishing Forum

IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT?

Posted By: leanin post

IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/25/20 06:40 PM

As a part time tinkerer, inventor, and ponderer of many things, I wonder abt things as such.

we all know that crappie slime is a great attractor when it comes to crappie. The reason for this at least partly, is because crappie are cannibals. I believe especially on lakes with large populations, and heavy spawns, they eat many of thier young.
Im sure there are other chemicals in the slime that likely stimulate the crappies smell receptors. crappie have all 5 senses that we have .
If the slime on the crappie could be concentrated, I wonder if it would be a superior attractant to what is now available. Ive read that alot of the attractants use different enzymes and proteins, and some are very good. like berkley nibbles and others..
texas law says you cannot use ANY part of a gamefish for bait.. so does the slime count? is the slime something that grows on a fish, or something the fish itself produces? ha
also you cannot patent any organic substance, so if something was developed, it could only be the formula that is retainable I think..
until then just keep u some slime in a mason jar, and if the gamewarden checks you, tell them its carp slime!. ha
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/25/20 09:52 PM

grin Haven't heard this before??I hear wheels sqeakin.
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/26/20 03:15 PM

Interesting thoughts. But once I get the first crappie, I have slime. If someone could come up with something that employs the slime and other stuff to create a super attractant, as you call it, I’d buy some.
Posted By: Craphacman

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/27/20 05:36 PM

I know an excellent crappie fisherman who uses hand tied jigs almost exclusively and he posts his videos on this forum. In his videos he can be seen rubbing both sides of the hand tied jig on the crappie that he catches. HIs initials are SK.
Posted By: Mo

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/27/20 08:50 PM

When I catch a blue cat , I always wonder if the slime on the line would be an attractant or deterrent to the crappie.

Mo
Posted By: COFF

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/28/20 02:37 PM

Can you rub your jig on the belly of your first fish to make it easier to catch the second?

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/28/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
Can you rub your jig on the belly of your first fish to make it easier to catch the second?

yes.. but what if your having trouble catching the first one? also if the slime was concentrated, with whatever it is in to make it super potent, it may be better than the unconcentrated slime? noidea
Posted By: COFF

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/28/20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by leanin post
Originally Posted by COFF

yes.. but what if your having trouble catching the first one?

Cast net.
Posted By: crappiehunter

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/28/20 02:59 PM

Been rubbing my hand ties on the sides of crappie since the 80’s and it works great.I learned that technique from old time jig fisherman at the old Rockwall Marina (now Harbor Bay).They told me it gives the jig a more natural smell and the crappie aren’t spooked by the jig.

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/28/20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mo
When I catch a blue cat , I always wonder if the slime on the line would be an attractant or deterrent to the crappie.

Mo

we all know that shad oil is a great attractant as well, so is the slime coat a product of the oil the gamefish consume? when u look in the icechest after u take the fish out, the slime doesnt have an oily sheen to it, so im not sure,
there is a place that will analyze any substance for 50.00.. thats how they found out what is in marvel mystery oil. (white phospherous). maybe I will send them a sample of slime,, lol.. they may check it and send the results back as " well sir.. its fish slime"' lol
I would also be interested in what is in the berkley crappie nibble. might send them a few.. they can break it down to its core elements.

Re: IS THERE A SUPER ATTRACTANT HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT? - 10/28/20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by crappiehunter
Been rubbing my hand ties on the sides of crappie since the 80’s and it works great.I learned that technique from old time jig fisherman at the old Rockwall Marina (now Harbor Bay).They told me it gives the jig a more natural smell and the crappie aren’t spooked by the jig.

YES,, I know a great fisherman who thinks that it more masks the human scent than anything else.. good point ! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum