Texas Fishing Forum

Braid pulling through the eye of jig head

Posted By: tmcdet

Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/07/20 03:56 PM

What can one do too keep braid from pulling out of the opening of the eye of a jig head when using a loop knot? I have tried using super glue with limited success. I can not find jig heads with the eye completely closed.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/07/20 05:24 PM

Use pliers to close the gap or use mono. Mono has no problems at all with this.
Posted By: crappie brother

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/07/20 07:06 PM

Tip your braid with fluorocarbon-no loss in sensitivity and will avoid the knot issue.
Posted By: Esnow74

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/08/20 04:42 AM

I've had very limited success with pinching the eye closed. Using a mono or fluorocarbon leader is best
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/08/20 12:53 PM

Tie a double polymer knot. Polymer might be spelled wrong.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/08/20 01:40 PM

I used to have this problem as well...so I started running my braid through the jig eye twice, and then finish the knot. Have not had any problems since.
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/08/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Jerky
I used to have this problem as well...so I started running my braid through the jig eye twice, and then finish the knot. Have not had any problems since.

Good idea and tip Brian. Are you still using a loop knot then?
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/08/20 03:52 PM

If
Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
Originally Posted by Duck_Jerky

Good idea and tip Brian. Are you still using a loop knot then?

With the use of Livescope over the past year, I do not tie many loop knots anymore...and the fish don't seem to mind smirk
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/08/20 05:24 PM

Go up in size on your braid or use a piece of mono and tie a knot then clip both tag ends short. Then tie on your braid making sure to keep the mono knot to the gap side of the eye. That’s how I’ve been doing it. When my bulk spool of 15 pound runs out I’m gonna try 20.
Posted By: flogORfish

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/08/20 06:59 PM

I too use the extra pass through the eye and use a loop knot. I haven't had issues, using 10 lb braid most of the time.
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/09/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by flogORfish
I too use the extra pass through the eye and use a loop knot. I haven't had issues, using 10 lb braid most of the time.

thumb
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/09/20 07:40 PM

This or Paloma's is all you need! Crappie don't care, won't loose anymore jig heads, Plus it works as a Strike Indicator! Knot will be pulled too the front of the jig where they nip the tail and you never feel it hooked
Posted By: tmcdet

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/14/20 02:36 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to try them all and see which one is best for me.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Braid pulling through the eye of jig head - 10/19/20 02:14 PM

Use a flouro leader. Make your leader roughly the length of your rod, and tie it with an FG knot. The FG knot is among the strongest possible knots for a leader, and it is definitely has the most slim profile among any leader knots. No issues whatsoever of the FG traveling through your eyelets.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum