Texas Fishing Forum

Ways to Fish Underspin Jigs?

Posted By: Tin Boat

Ways to Fish Underspin Jigs? - 07/25/20 11:35 PM

I recently picked up some handtied jigs and and threw a few underspins in with the order, they all look great but my question is with technique on the underspins.
Can they be fished vertically or under a cork/bobber like a traditional jig or are they primarily for cast and reel horizontal presentations like road runners etc?
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but seems like maybe the spinner would throw them off if not in constant motion?
I am going to attempt to post a pic of said spinners but dont know if it will go thru, lets see...
Any opinions or help yall can help a newb crappie fisherman out with is much appreciated, thanks!

Attached picture Screenshot_20200725-162816_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Ways to Fish Underspin Jigs? - 07/26/20 04:43 PM

Welcome to the forum! Those for sure can be fished vertically. Even if you don't think you are moving the jig the boat is always moving it for you.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Ways to Fish Underspin Jigs? - 07/26/20 10:12 PM

welcome
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Ways to Fish Underspin Jigs? - 07/27/20 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
Welcome to the forum! Those for sure can be fished vertically. Even if you don't think you are moving the jig the boat is always moving it for you.

Plus #1.

Side Note: welcome to the TFF!
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Ways to Fish Underspin Jigs? - 07/27/20 12:25 PM

welcome & I agree with TDA! Sometimes all it takes is just a flicker from the small blade that the movement of your boat or the h2o provides for you when using a vertical presentation. Casting & retrieving speaks for itself. thumbBTW Very nice looking jigs Capt!
Posted By: Tin Boat

Re: Ways to Fish Underspin Jigs? - 07/27/20 02:01 PM

Thank you for the replies, I figured I was probably overthinking it,and thank you for the warm welcome as well!

I fished every chance I got from a kid to early twenties primarily for bass & catfish, then got ate up by the hunting bug & focused on that up until about 6 months ago when I stumbled upon john boat deal that was too good to pass up, and reignited the fishing bug.
That said, a TON has changed in fishing since I was a kid, from baits to techniques and especially technology like fish finders & trolling motors, etc., it is both exciting and overwhelming learning all the changes & how to utilize them.
I have been lurking here since picking up the boat trying flatten the learning curve, and there are a ton of great folks on here with an unmatched amount of knowledge, I have learned a huge amount already just by lurking and am looking forward to contributing what I can in the future.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Ways to Fish Underspin Jigs? - 07/27/20 02:10 PM

I am no expert, but I rigged some horse head jigs with blades earlier this year , I thought they would be killer for pitching over brushpiles.
the crappie were not interested ,( per livescope ) . In a vertical presentation , they seemed less effective that the same size and
color of a plain jighead. they might be good casting in the spring during spawn , as you could retrieve them a bit slower,
( I remember Ernest P. talking about roadrunners in the spring,)

Your mileage may vary

Good luck

Mo
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum