Texas Fishing Forum

Weird couple of weeks

Posted By: Resh

Weird couple of weeks - 07/22/20 07:51 PM

Lavon has been really off for me the last couple of weeks. I can see fish on the piles but they are lockjaw it seems. When I get to a pile and they actually bite it’s either a 9-7/8” or like a 15”+. Caught some huge ones lately but so sporadic. Anybody else off? Seems like reports have still been good, just lost the mild mojo I had goin.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/22/20 08:06 PM

Been that way since this last very long moon cycle for most I've talked to...... However the night time bite has been great......
It's taken a lot of moving for me to come up with a good box of fish..... And I know the fish are there but just not active.....
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/22/20 08:07 PM

Guides are having the same problems,..look up Gary Paris and Cameron Burkett reports...and they are some of the best of Fork. fish
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/22/20 10:01 PM

Typical summer finicky bite. Minnows help and it helps to move a lot. Usually catch a couple in each spot then you have to move.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/22/20 10:24 PM

Dog Days are upon us yall but this to shall pass azn
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/22/20 11:40 PM

Well I am terrible at it but yes last trip was just like that had 8 big keepers and 20 shorts
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/22/20 11:41 PM

I may go brave the wake boats Sunday
Posted By: HTDUCK

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/23/20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reshelman
Lavon has been really off for me the last couple of weeks. I can see fish on the piles but they are lockjaw it seems. When I get to a pile and they actually bite it’s either a 9-7/8” or like a 15”+. Caught some huge ones lately but so sporadic. Anybody else off? Seems like reports have still been good, just lost the mild mojo I had goin.

Not just you bud.

We are in the same boat.
Can see fish all over piles and timber but getting them to bite is tough.
Three of us in the boat Sunday from 9 AM til 2 PM ended up with 19.

We found a dead shad floating at one spot and starting tipping jigs with pieces of it and that seemed to help.

Just gotta keep moving.

local guide says all the timber and piles are loaded with tiny baby shad and the crappie are gorging themselves on them.
Another week or 2 and they should be gone into open water.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/24/20 02:03 AM

Thanks all, wish it was better for all of us but happy it’s not just me! HTDUCK that’s interesting you say that, we pulled up to one of my favorite small piles and it looked as if a ball of shad was sitting right on top of it. Could see fish below them but no bites.
Posted By: Asleep At The Reel

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/25/20 01:50 AM

Honestly it is this way every year at this point. You have to suffer through the heat to fill your box. The guides that I know on Palestine, LOP and Fork all say that they are having the same issues. Once it gets a little cooler and the lake flips it will change. End of August, early sept they will start eating more and beef up and the bite will be easier. The fish that I am catching now should be 2 plus pounds but are not. They are long and skinny. That will change.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/25/20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fishbonz

But the Bluegill bite is ON! hooked
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Weird couple of weeks - 07/25/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Originally Posted by Fishbonz

But the Bluegill bite is ON! hooked

+1 b-af I commented on your beaten path post! thumb