Texas Fishing Forum

Starter Set Up

Posted By: ZX-250

Starter Set Up - 06/25/20 02:30 AM

Looking to get a set up to fish jigs and keep in boat. Prob want a rod for around 8’-10’ I guess. What suggestions for rod and reel. Any advice you can give me including jigs and colors would be great. I usually fish for the big green ditch pickles so don’t hate on me to much. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Starter Set Up - 06/25/20 03:31 AM

ACC Crappie Stix.

www.acccrappiestix.com

Andy the owner of ACC has some rods in stock just got an order in last Monday, but he will sell out quickly. (I am biased everyone knows I am an ACC rod customer and fan)

The ACC rods are all I have been using exclusively since my first trip with one on October 19, 2016. Great Sensitivity and Good Back Bone in my opinion. I landed a 35 pound yellow cat on my first trip with my ACC rod while fishing Crappie. It formed the letter U multiple times with that catfish, and it did not break.

That is what sold me on his rods. If I can land a 35 pound yellow cat then Crappie will not be a problem.

Andy Lehman the owner of ACC is a retired Crappie Guide and I personally love his customer service.

Rods are a personal preference as well as reels and everyone has their favorites.

I am no different.

My reel is a Lews MS1H Bait caster I like the slim profile.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/lew-s-ms1h-mach-speed-spool-mcs-ms1h.html

This reel is the Lews Mach II a bit more pricey but same profile as reel above and different grips.
I have both and like them both. The slim profile is what I like about the reel.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/le...HDtix38WvRoC5-4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jigs: I prefer feathers over plastic.

Colors: White and Chartreuse or Black and Chartreuse are go to staples.

They will usually hit one or the other.

A pink head is a bonus, but not required.

Color doesn't matter until it does.

Other suggestions for Crappie Rods:

Pro Angler Rods.

Bonehead Rods

G Rods.

Wish you the best of luck in your search to find the right combo for you.

I just looked and ACC has the 8', 10', 11', and 12' all in stock.

ACC selling out of rods this quickly is pretty standard after he receives a shipment.

What happens is Andy will receive a shipment and he will fulfill all Pending orders on his web site and then all remaining rods are sent to his vendors.

If you sign up for his newsletter he will notify you of an upcoming shipment and allow pre-orders when he knows the shipment is about to arrive.

He will fulfill all those orders and then the remaining rods go to all his vendors.

Rinse and repeat.

If he is out on his web site of a certain length reach out to the various vendors they may have some rods in the length you are looking for even in a different state.

Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Starter Set Up - 06/25/20 01:26 PM

Here's another suggestion. If you're already bass fishing and you have a fairly light action (ML-M) drop shot rod you're good to go. I've caught hundreds of crappie with a 7' ML St Croix Premier, Dobyns 702SF, and Dobyns Champion Extreme 701 and 742. My jig set-ups are all 20# braid with an 8-10# fluoro leader. Not the best for timber or dock shooting but definitely usable. The one thing I'll add is that my braid is hi-vis (hi-vis green Sufix 832) as a lot of your bites won't be the thump everyone talks about, sometimes you'll pitch over a brush pile and see your line go slack before it hits depth, that's usally a bite and, like in bass fishing, hooksets are free.

As far as jigs and colors Hog On is pretty much dead on. Warning: Crappie plastics lead to a severe addiction, I bet there are at least 10 #'s worth in my boat with at least that many more in the garage in reserve. I can't seem to go to Bass Pro or any other tackle shop including Academy and Walmart without buying another pack or two......
Posted By: Mo

Re: Starter Set Up - 07/08/20 02:23 PM

I’m no expert, but my set up is black max Abu bait casters ( anywhere from 29 to 49$ , look for sale prices). Pro angler 8 ft ( I’ve landed flat heads to 43 lbs). Can easily swing 2 lb crappie into the boat, Suffix 832 , 20 to 30 lb , , with mono leader.
Good luck.
Mo
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Starter Set Up - 07/08/20 04:10 PM

get some pro angler rods. They are great and will last nearly forever. If you get into a big LM Bass, Striper or big blue cat your rod will not break. I have caught multiple 10 lb plus LM Bass at PK and Lake fork using these rods while crappie fishing. They will hold up.

https://www.proanglertackle.com/
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Starter Set Up - 07/08/20 04:19 PM

Whatever tackle, jigs, etc you wind up with, I suggest a bottle of crappie nibbles as well. They are working for me in Lake Travis which is a notoriously bad crappie habitat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum