Texas Fishing Forum

I have a dumb livescope question..

Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 05:30 PM

The range setting adjusts both depth and how far out you look, right? I cannot set depth at 20 FOW but look out 100 foot, right?
Posted By: 24x7Fisherman

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 06:22 PM

Not both you can adjust them separately
Posted By: Davedave

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 06:25 PM

Range doesn’t affect depth. Depth can either be automatic, or manual. I use manual. I like to see a little of the bottom.

For example, if I have the depth at 25 feet, but I move into 13 feet of water, that’s a lot of the screen showing the bottom of the lake. I set it to about 15 in that instance.

If you have questions, let us know. We can walk you through the menus.
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 06:59 PM

If you have a 9" screen and look out more than about 35', the images are going to be so small and muddled you are probably not going to get much benefit from it. I try to use a 20' maximum range once we find the fish to get enough detail to see what is happening. A lot of the time at 15 or less if we are seeing fish stacked on timber.

Depth should be set to little more than the deepest water you are fishing.

Gain is usually best set in the 55-65 range but not always.

Also, try different colors. I like the blue, the guys I fish with like the orange better.

Wayne
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 07:34 PM

When fishing timber, i see very little need to show the depth much past the active fish. Example: Fishing in 22 FOW, fish are active 12 to 15 ft down, set your depth to 18 ft. the active fish will generally be on top. this increases the size of the fish on the screen so you can target bigger fish. usually i am set at 15 ft forward range.

fishing piles would be different because the fish are more likely to be hugging the bottom so you would want to see the bottom.

all this to say, the answer to your question is the two settings are independent. which means you will skew your images if you get too far out or too shallow depth.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 07:44 PM

When scanning, I shoot out about 70-90' with bottom on auto. I'm moving at about 2-4mph while panning the LVS head. Once I identify something worth looking at, I'll head towards the structure and start zooming the distance closer to get more details. Doing this, I never use my SI on either of my units anymore. It works really well for me.
Tim

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 08:04 PM

I have my depth on manual because on auto it is always try to adjust, especially when other boats make waive, I got a flat bottom 17.5 foot boat. But I have been using range to manual change my depth. How do you manually change depth?

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 08:09 PM

When I set range to 15 foot, and down view, it changes depth to 15 foot, and 15 foot out each side (30 foot total).

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by FishingGuy
When I set range to 15 foot, and down view, it changes depth to 15 foot, and 15 foot out each side (30 foot total).

See this link says range adjusts both Depth and width scale... What am I missing?
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...DFA69AD-64AC-4B98-88DF-771857A82D5E.html

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 09:19 PM

switch to forward view. i never use down view, even when vertical jigging. then you can change range and depth independently.

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/05/20 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
switch to forward view. i never use down view, even when vertical jigging. then you can change range and depth independently.

Maybe that is it, but downview vertical jigging is the way to go when you got your transducer mounted on the front or back of the boat. You can see the beam below, it don't get better than that.
[Linked Image]

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/06/20 01:53 AM

I fished with a well known guide at Fork last year and he said he never used downview, so I don't either. I use forward view and try to keep my boat back far enough that we can barely reach the fish, sometimes we are pitching and letting the jig swing back to the fish. Get hung up a lot doing that, so use light wire hooks or you will be retying a LOT.

Wayne
Posted By: Davedave

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/06/20 02:00 AM

Sorry. I didn’t realize you were using downview. I only use forward view.

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/06/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by lurenthewind
I fished with a well known guide at Fork last year and he said he never used downview, so I don't either.

Just becuase 1 guide does not use downview you don't use it? Do you not think for yourself? Ernest primarily uses downview, so there, you now have reason to try something new.

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/07/20 09:25 PM

75 in the ice chest this weekend....

50 yesterday with Krappie-King....
[Linked Image]

25 today solo...
[Linked Image]

All downview!
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I don’t mess with moving transducer all the time like you guys have to do using forward all the time, I set it so rectangle beam out long wise left and right, and I i don't mess with it any more, i sit back, legs crossed, and navigate to brush pile, drop jig with10 foot pole, I can work brush pile 10 foot left, 10 foot right, 20 foot total without having to move transducer, and legs crossed the whole time, catch fish, get off hook off fish and in the ice chest, and legs still crossed, feet never touch the ground. You rookies taking notes?
[Linked Image]

Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/07/20 09:42 PM

too easy....
Posted By: RODS454

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/07/20 09:43 PM

I don’t mess with moving transducer all the time like you guys have to do using forward all the time.

Please explain what you are going on about. I’ve never moved my transducer and seem to catch plenty of fish in forward view. There are more ways than one to catch a crappie. You won’t convince many with “my way is the best way”.
Posted By: Krappie-King

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/07/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by RODS454
I don’t mess with moving transducer all the time like you guys have to do using forward all the time.

Please explain what you are going on about. I’ve never moved my transducer and seem to catch plenty of fish in forward view. The are more ways than one to catch a crappie. You won’t convince many with “my way is the best way”.

I won't say his way is best but he's got it figured out. The biggest fish of the day came while laying back, legs crossed, sitting under the shade of the umbrella. He didn't even boat get up to boat flip him. He just fought him for a few minutes and lipped him like a largemouth. Then proceeded to throw him in the cooler without un-crossing his legs. That's a pretty smooth way of doing it.

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/07/20 10:02 PM

Please explain what you are going on about. I’ve never moved my transducer and seem to catch plenty of fish in forward view. The are more ways than one to catch a crappie. You won’t convince many with “my way is the best way”.

Rod get an umbrella, one that matches your boat, catch limits like me with legs up and crossed without letting your feet touch the ground, then we will talk.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/07/20 10:49 PM

Rod get an umbrella, one that matches your boat, catch limits like me with legs up and crossed without letting your feet touch the ground, then we will talk.

LOL! No thanks, don’t want to be like you. I am capable of thinking for myself. roflmao

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 12:19 AM

LOL! No thanks, don’t want to be like you. I am capable of thinking for myself. roflmao

Ok I m just trying to be helpful, you need some help with that downview let me know. cheers
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 12:56 AM

Looking good FishingGu. That PoleDucer helping ya get the job done...

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 02:57 AM

Fishing Guru, I AM thinking for myself and I don't need you to tell me how to do anything. I paid for the Livescope and I will use it any way I want. I tried Downview, didn't like it as well, so I use forward view. You do what you wish.

Wayne

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by lurenthewind
Fishing Guru, I AM thinking for myself and I don't need you to tell me how to do anything. I paid for the Livescope and I will use it any way I want. I tried Downview, didn't like it as well, so I use forward view. You do what you wish.

Wayne

I'm not a fan of the downview either. I don't :mess with moving" the transducer since I find having it on forward view gives me plenty of view behind the transducer. In that scenario, forward view would do just fine. I don't see what having your legs crossed has anything to do with downview vs. forward view. I will only tell people what works for me; but that doesn't make other techniques wrong. But what do I know, I'm not a professional.
Tim

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 11:35 AM

So Rod's question is so absurd that it doesn't deserve a real answer, but one that sounds a little condescending? It seems in order for him to get an answer to a perfectly valid question on a vague statement; he'd have to invest in a matching umbrella, catch limits with his legs crossed?? So basically, he'd have to know everything before he can ask for anything? That doesn't sound logical to me. hummmm....

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 01:20 PM

I was just playing around with you guys since apparently no one else uses down view. So everyone calm down and relax, bonus pic for those still taking notes.
[Linked Image]

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 03:00 PM

i don't fish on top of a pile in less than 20 FOW. hence the forward view. and i am fine sitting flat footed in my millennium chair on the bow. crossing your legs is bad for circulation! wink roflmao

also, if you are pitching jigs, it takes longer to locate your jig on down view. i like to see mine quicker so i can adjust to get it in the strike zone.

but confidence in your process is everything. if you like yours, no reason to change it.

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
i don't fish on top of a pile in less than 20 FOW.

Why not? The fish don't seem to care. I think this is another thing livescope has taught us.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 10:56 PM

The wife and I were crappie fishing this morning, and with the Livescope we found them in 9’ of water, in a field of stumps. We were catching some nice ones at one spot, when we both had fish on the line. The spot lock was off and we drifted into the stump and bumped on it for a while and got sort of hung on it. I got us loose and used the TM to move us away. No way there could still be fish there, but we kept catching them, and some nice ones. So, neither the Livescope, the TM, or us bumping their hangout ran then off.
Posted By: BP5168

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 11:07 PM

I like forward view most of the time. FishingGuy, you might use some forward too and uncross your legs a little and maybe move around. Looks like you skipped too many leg days at the gym.

roflmao

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/08/20 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by BP5168
I like forward view most of the time. FishingGuy, you might use some forward too and uncross your legs a little and maybe move around. Looks like you skipped too many leg days at the gym.

roflmao

BP, I’m naturally muscular, I do not need a gym. What size waist are you? When you size 32 we will talk.

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/09/20 02:42 AM

I'm a 32--oh-shi-, I thought you said thigh.. My bad!

Wayne
Posted By: BP5168

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/09/20 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by BP5168

roflmao

BP, I’m naturally muscular, I do not need a gym. What size waist are you? When you size 32 we will talk.

You misspelled "mouth" ... there's no "w" in "mouth" there chief.

Re: I have a dumb livescope question.. - 06/09/20 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

Looking good FishingGu. That PoleDucer helping ya get the job done...

Yeah poleducer works great, I had it on the side for a while using forward view all the time like most do, then moved it to the front works better for down view and vertically jigging off front of boat. I cut it down the other day to give me more room.

I'm waiting on the self-deploy poleducer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum