Texas Fishing Forum

Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake )

Posted By: Svanginault

Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake ) - 05/26/20 09:27 PM

I've recently bought a boat so I would be able to give my kiddos the fishing experience my dad had given me when I was their age. We've been out several times now. Tried 21 bridge and Barefootbay bridge. And haven't caught but 1 fish.. I don't know how much longer I will be able to keep them intrested without catching fish! Could someone please point me in the direction of a few good brush piles or trees?. We try Minnows and jigs.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake ) - 05/26/20 10:01 PM

Dillon Lee offers guide trips out there. I would definitely go out with him and learn the ropes. Most people will not just freely give you brushpile coordinates unless it's not their pile. If you have good electronics, I would suggest looking on every main lake point in 15-17' of water for brushpiles or trees. The crappie are on them right now.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake ) - 05/26/20 10:18 PM

You might try bream/bluegill and the like, if you have a place to go. I fill the boat with grandkids and fish the Navasota River. We can catch a ton of small fish, and the grandkids don’t get bored. They are now starting to ask about crappie.
Posted By: CrappieXpress

Re: Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake ) - 05/26/20 10:31 PM

One of the best things for kids as already mentioned is bream fishing with crickets or worms. Also go out in some flooded timber about 15-20 ft deep and bait it with range cubes and catfish. It’s nonstop action and a ton of fun to boot
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake ) - 05/26/20 11:28 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/cypress_springs/structure.phtml

This might help. This is a map of crappie fish attractors for Cypress springs. Sandlin doesnt have one.
I agree with Ronnie,..get a Crappie Guide for a half day trip, and tell what you want to learn, and he'll
help you out....Best money you can spend. I would go by yourself and later take the kids after you learn a few spots..
jim... fish
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake ) - 05/27/20 12:15 AM

Hire Marty Thomas for a half day. The kids will catch a ton of fish and you will have a much better idea what to do after fishing with him for a day. His boat is a big center console and Marty is top notch!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake ) - 05/27/20 12:20 PM

SVANGINAUL, you have a PM on the way. On second thought, how about giving me a call. 903-855-0441
Posted By: Svanginault

Re: Help with Bob Sandlin Crappie ( for my kids sake ) - 05/27/20 02:27 PM

Ill shoot you a text when I get off work.. Thanks everyone for the tips. Im in the process of building my own brush piles since i cant seem to find any. Ill try harder on them points.. if we can't seem to find them soon I guess we will try out luck for brim.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum