Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie and a little slice of heaven....

Posted By: Okie Poke

Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 01:51 PM

I've never seen a pond like this reproduce crappie in such an abundance. Why? I don't have a clue....it's a 15-acre tank in AR, 40ft deep, that is behind our retirement home (home in background). Old house but we are fixing it up and will be living there in 3 years. Back to the pond....I've been fishing this tank for almost 30 years. During crappie spawn, you can walk the dam and catch anywhere from 50-100 nice, big black and white slabs by noon. Only people that fish it are family. It's always been that way, but the bass growth are stunted. I guess the lake needs threadfin shad. It has a great population of perch and crappie and a bunch of little bass, that's about it. There are two amura in there that keep it pretty clean. I've never cattfished it, so don't know about that. There are a few big bass in there but not many. We need a fisheries biologist to help manage, probably. Waiting for my son to graduate with biology degree and he says that he can do it. We'll see. We can reap the crappie while we're waiting, I guess. Me and BIL caught these in an hour & a half the other day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ACES82

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 02:06 PM

Beautiful land buddy! Nice slabs to!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 02:39 PM

Beautiful place Okie! cheers
Posted By: pop r

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 02:50 PM

Awesome place with plenty of fish. Love it! cheers
Posted By: cellis

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

Agreed
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 03:40 PM

those blue gill are massive
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by cellis
Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

Agreed

yep
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 05:23 PM

wow, that looks like heaven on earth. sounds like you have a healthy population in general which is great. agree you need to stock bait regularly. there are some serious pond/tank management people out there online and sure they can point you in the right direction.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 07:56 PM

You'll need to remove several hundred crappie is you want the bass to get bigger and more numerous, as well as stock it with shad.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 09:13 PM

Awesome post. Crappie and Bluegill! It just don't get any better! cheers

Side Note: Yes Sir a slice of Heaven for sure! God is great! thumb
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/06/20 09:33 PM

Is the Pearly Gates on the other end,.... angel
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/07/20 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
Is the Pearly Gates on the other end,.... angel

I hope so....just not right now. When he's ready, I'll be ready....
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/08/20 11:41 PM

The bluegill will be your number one food source in the pond so I would never remove them. Stocking with shad can get expensive and they will die at certain water temps during the winter. Keeping a healthy bluegill population and removing the bass/crappie will be your cheapest management solution. If money isn't an issue, shad would be great. :-)
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/09/20 12:41 AM

I think the depth adds to the volume of water and makes the pond able to produce the crappie you are catching. Also, more importantly the good genetics of the crappie allow for the size.

The bass genetics may not be that great. Bass are aggressive feeders and will readily eat small bream. Usually the bass feed well and the crappie do without.

I wouldn't make any drastic changes, it's an ecosystem, you can definately screw it up.

I would be happy with the big crappie & big bream and not worry too much about growing giant bass. Everybody wants to grow giant bass but once you have a couple of pictures, there really isn't much value to them.
Posted By: Catch25

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/10/20 11:41 AM

True that
Posted By: Kevin R.

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/10/20 12:23 PM

Nice looking place!!! And some nice fish! thumb
Posted By: gborg

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/10/20 12:36 PM

Grasshoppers , flying insects and other crawling insects can keep the sunfish healthy. I am told they reproduce 4 times per year which can feed a lot of crappie.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/10/20 11:30 PM

Don’t worry about the bass
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/11/20 11:04 PM

crappie are prolific reproducers. one of the worst fish you can have in a pond. I would start by culling all crappie I caught, and all bass under 2 pounds. fill the freezer with fillets.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/11/20 11:46 PM

that is really beautiful

i would keep it like it is
&
eat a lot of crappie
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/13/20 01:18 PM

Those are some big crappies and bluegills. Great lookin place,
Posted By: Flags

Re: Crappie and a little slice of heaven.... - 05/14/20 01:41 PM

If I had a pond like that I wouldn't change a thing. Bass are overrated in my opinion but crappie and good sunfish push my happy buttons.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum