Texas Fishing Forum

RC 5/3

Posted By: ACES82

RC 5/3 - 05/03/20 10:15 PM

Windy windy day. Liked to blew me off the water a few times. Fish were scattered, lots of dinks. Would catch a couple or 3 here and 1 or 2 here. Deeper docks and brush piles, several brush piles in 20 FOW, fish were suspended up about 12-15. Docks were about the same, deeper docks with shade. Only pull a few off a dock and that was it, time to move on. Seemed like they were short striking it a bit. Would hook up just for a few seconds on many today. Wanted to fish a little longer But my trolling motor remote quit. All in all, not a bad day. All caught on blue/chartreuse, pink/chartreuse, and silver glitter/chartreuse. Left with 10 keepers, plenty enough for me and pops and cold beer!

Bought some new bonehead jigs and they have a small gap in the eye, lost a nice one due to my loop knot slipping through it. Gone have to crimp those down and going to a barbless set up and super gluing them on. One the flip side, my new bonehead 10 footer are nice! Super light and easy to use, sensitive to! [Linked Image]
Posted By: pop r

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/04/20 02:08 AM

Nice catch on a windy day! thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/04/20 02:22 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: Trickster

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/04/20 03:41 PM

Nice catches. Tired of the wind.
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/04/20 05:16 PM

Way to go on a tough day. I told my wife i would take the kids fishing for a whole day on mothers day so she could have the house to herself....hope to make it out.

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/04/20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Trickster

Thanks everybody. Yeah me to! Lol. It’s that time of year though.

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/04/20 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
Way to go on a tough day. I told my wife i would take the kids fishing for a whole day on mothers day so she could have the house to herself....hope to make it out.

Hope you get to make it out. I should be there, depending on weather might head to Twok. Let me know if you can make it.
Posted By: jig master

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/05/20 02:48 AM

Nice haul !! You are braver than I ‘am as it’s not worth it to me to be out in the windy conditions like it has been. Hopefully it will lay down soon and you will slay.
Posted By: jig master

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/05/20 02:50 AM

Looks like rain and wind Friday and Saturday. JS
Posted By: 5-0Bowhunter

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/06/20 11:24 AM

Thats a nice mess of fish. Its time i start targeting some of those tasty nuggets, especially when the bass are tight lipped.

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/06/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 5-0Bowhunter
Thats a nice mess of fish. Its time i start targeting some of those tasty nuggets, especially when the bass are tight lipped.

Fried a few up other day, sure we’re tasty with ice cold Dos Equis!
Posted By: Crappie Cats TV

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/06/20 02:39 PM

Awesome! banana
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/06/20 02:43 PM

Nice fish, ACES!

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/08/20 03:09 PM

The gods have smiled on me. I will be out on RC Sunday. Momma's orders! Got a brand new Bonehead muddy water jig pack that i'm looking forward to testing out.
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/08/20 05:09 PM

I had the same problem with their jig heads. If I tied a loop knot I eventually lost the jig.

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/08/20 05:16 PM

The gods have smiled on me. I will be out on RC Sunday. Momma's orders! Got a brand new Bonehead muddy water jig pack that i'm looking forward to testing out.

Awesome buddy!

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/08/20 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by cantcatch5
I had the same problem with their jig heads. If I tied a loop knot I eventually lost the jig.

I like their jig head, just don’t want to have to squeeze the eyes together on all of them. I’ve rigged up some barbless ones with dental floss and superglue for this weekend.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/10/20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ACES82
Originally Posted by Trickster

Thanks everybody. Yeah me to! Lol. It’s that time of year though.

yea crazy wind & cold front really, 50' in am well sat was nice, BUT I was workin. bang being the boss ain't as easy as ya think. May slip out mon if not windy. Good luck ya'll

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/11/20 01:54 PM

Awesome buddy!

Good to meet you Bryan on the water. I wish i had better results to share. the afternoon bite was slow. we started off on some white bass and got the girls some quick action.

the crappie were almost all undersized and closer to the bottom (in 20 FOW). noticed more 9 inch fish instead of 8 inch fish (maybe this is improving??!!). only caught one keeper - nice 1.4 lb white crappie. water temps were around 75. i may need to hit the bridges and docks in the middle of the day.

and dad gummit my daughter lost a good fish right at the boat when the bonehead jig came off the loop knot (guess i'll use their plastics but not their jig heads - or tie a different knot). frustrating!

Re: RC 5/3 - 05/11/20 03:21 PM

Awesome buddy!

Good to meet you Bryan on the water. I wish i had better results to share. the afternoon bite was slow. we started off on some white bass and got the girls some quick action.

the crappie were almost all undersized and closer to the bottom (in 20 FOW). noticed more 9 inch fish instead of 8 inch fish (maybe this is improving??!!). only caught one keeper - nice 1.4 lb white crappie. water temps were around 75. i may need to hit the bridges and docks in the middle of the day.

and dad gummit my daughter lost a good fish right at the boat when the bonehead jig came off the loop knot (guess i'll use their plastics but not their jig heads - or tie a different knot). frustrating!

Same to you good buddy. I did good Saturday morning before the wind got to bad. Yesterday was a bust for me besides white bass, they seemed to be everywhere.

From what I’ve read they’ve been catching them in deeper water around standing timber and brush piles. I jigged around the bridge yesterday some and caught a couple small ones.

It’s a real heartbreaker when that loop knot slips through the eye isn’t it. I like boneheaded tackle, especially the rods. The rods had a hard weekend between crappie and white bass this weekend! I’m gonna find me some more jig heads to use, or just go hand tied and see how that works.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum