Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn spawn

Posted By: Used2fish

Rayburn spawn - 03/10/20 06:15 PM

Was planning on camping up on Cooper this weekend with the family. But weather is not looking well. Looking around the state %. Chance falls some south east. Was thinking about trying to camp at Sam. If I do would wading bushes for crappie be a waste of time down that way?
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Rayburn spawn - 03/10/20 08:33 PM

i wouldn’t think so
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Rayburn spawn - 03/10/20 08:57 PM

My buddy was just there water temp is still 55-56. Crappie spawn based on Water Temp needs to be in the mid/low 60s. Bass are spawning so the crappie are not far off. Usually about a month off. You can catch crappie fishing around grass in the creek/ditch channel. The bass fishing is really good, so I would go and have fun (square bills/crank baits) 5-10'. Looks like warm temps and a lot of rain in the forecast. So camping may not be awesome. The south will see the spawn first, so you are right on the cusp. You can never time it just right, so just go and have fun.I remember being at Rayburn from mid March to mid April. We started catching crappie and a lot of bass, then the crappie fishing just kept getting better and better. I was there in Jan/Feb 2020 and last year Jan/Feb 2019 ... what a big difference. I would have thought the lake temps would be up now. I have a house there so I am always positive about being there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum