Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn vs Pines

Posted By: shady L

Rayburn vs Pines - 02/20/20 10:48 PM

Where should I go ??? Will be fishing 3/11,12,13th The big Sam or Pines?
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/20/20 10:56 PM

I live on Rayburn love to crappie fish and the bass boats are really getting common on the lake, during the week even. So maybe Pines would be calmer. That is a good time to go to Rayburn. Good luck where ever you go.

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/20/20 11:06 PM

I've never crappie fished Rayburn in March , if the weather is right will they be deep or shallow? I did pretty good in July and August fishing brush piles about 22ft .
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/20/20 11:59 PM

Never crappie fished the Pines before, but I've caught crappie on Rayburn from mid March through mid May in 6'-10' depths strolling a jig before. Some years they move up shallow to spawn earlier than other years, I guess it depends on the Winter/Spring weather we have. My best crappie trip was right after the bass spawn was mostly over that year and the crappie were easy to target on grass flats on the south end. Good luck wherever you go!
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/21/20 03:08 AM

I’ve never fished on Rayburn. Pines is a great fishing lake but those are some tough dates to be fishing regardless of where you are. Might be a few fish spawning, most will be roaming though. March is in my opinion the toughest month to crappie fish.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/21/20 03:24 AM

Either lake should be good. I have never fished either but there will be shallow fish on both. Rayburn would probably be full blast spawning.
Posted By: Bcbbs

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/21/20 02:10 PM

falcon

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/21/20 04:46 PM

Falcon dang it I forgot about lake Falcon
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/21/20 09:03 PM

Pines.. they’ll be on the banks by then

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/21/20 09:08 PM

When crappie are on the banks are any on brush piles ?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/21/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by shady L
When crappie are on the banks are any on brush piles ?

Brush piles in 6-18’ typically provide a more consistent bite in the spring. Shallow fishing is cool if you can find them consistently but finding them consistently shallow in March is a difficult task sometimes.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Rayburn vs Pines - 02/23/20 04:39 AM

Rayburn round that time I fish a Roadrunner looking for fish, then the usual jig once you have a pattern. They are in all sorts of places and depths (generally shallow). They could be hitting the banks too. So pick a cove and fish any tree, timber, buck brush, hydrilla ... just stay in the creek channel or just off it. I have great luck on Hydrilla. There are waves of crappie spawning at different times, the water temp dictates. So if a cold front moves thru they pull back into deeper water. May to summer the crappie move on to brush piles in big numbers, March can be a difficult time, thus the searching mode is always good. Good luck, I love March on Rayburn.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum