Texas Fishing Forum

your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL

Posted By: KEGracing

your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/19/20 04:07 PM

OK, little different post. I have been on a diet, and hungry. Wanting some fresh fish (trying to catch them is another problem... lol).

I want to hear your favorite breader/batter for crappie (or any fish). Can be over the counter in a box or home made.

I am really looking for a crispy breader, that will give a texture kind of like "Extra crispy KFC chicken". I may put a little spice to it after I get the texture figured out. I have tried several boxes, and several taste good. Its not that I dont like corn meal or more beer batter, but just looking for that certain finished product right now.

How do you make it? Battering technique? Oil temperature? Oil type?

Also - to make my Dr. happy - has anyone figured out a good way to use a Air Fryer and get something as good as regular fried? I have been using the air frier for chicken wings, with pretty good results, but naked wings. Have not figured out a good way to batter yet. Light dusting of breader on milk washed fish was ok, but not great.

thanks all - happy eating!

Ken
Posted By: HOGON

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/19/20 06:57 PM

We use a simple egg wash and Kellogg Corn Flake Crumbs from the baking isle at the grocery store.

Take some eggs and whip them up like you are going to make scrambled eggs. You want it thick not too runny.

We take the fillets soak them in lemon juice, a little bit of water, and pack them on ice to get them nice and firm. Leave them set in the fridge.

When ready to cook we take them out and dip them in the egg wash.

We dump the corn flake crumbs into a Ziploc bag. We toss the egg washed fillet into the Kellogg corn flake crumbs and coat it.

Take it out of the bag and lay on a plate with a paper towel Let it dry somewhat.

Throw the fillet in the fryer when ready.

Once you try the corn flake crumbs you will never want bread crumbs or corn meal again.

Season however you want.

We will cut the fillets up to bite size like chicken nuggets.

Like having popcorn crappie nuggets.
Posted By: Mo

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/19/20 07:09 PM

peanut oil , cast iron dutch oven on outdoor propane cooker , 365 degrees , Louisiana brand coating , blue package ,

If you want thicker coating , dip fillets in milk before breading. ( I've done this ) butter milk would make even thicker coat ( I have not done this )

MO
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/19/20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mo
peanut oil , cast iron dutch oven on outdoor propane cooker , 365 degrees , Louisiana brand coating , blue package ,

If you want thicker coating , dip fillets in milk before breading. ( I've done this ) butter milk would make even thicker coat ( I have not done this )

MO

Yes Sir! food
Posted By: pop r

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/19/20 11:39 PM

thumb food
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/20/20 03:54 PM

I use egg wash, finely crushed saltine crackers, peanut oil at 350° for 4 minutes. You can use what ever seasonings.
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/20/20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mo

MO

Louisiana coating is great. A tip I learned from a member in the Recipes section: For heavier coating put thin coat of mustard on the fillets before breading. Works great and mustard has no effect on taste.
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/20/20 10:18 PM

I was once told that the extra crispy in KFC is courtesy of good old corn flakes cereal.

I do use an air fryer sometimes and found a product that’s specifically made for that method. It’s a breading vs. a batter and it’s got a little spice to it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RCarter

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/21/20 12:22 AM

Shore Lunch Original Recipe
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/21/20 01:04 AM

1 cup of milk & 1 egg. Let filets soak for a couple of minutes.

Roll in Louisiana fish fry, blue label and fry at 350 degrees for 8 minutes in peanut oil.

Posted By: Mac817

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/21/20 03:20 AM

Second the mustard, used on sand bass and catfish too, came out great!
Posted By: Bcbbs

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/21/20 02:10 PM

raw
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/21/20 09:55 PM

Thanks all. Have a list of things here that I want to try to make me a better cook!

Now, just have to catch some fish!

Cheers,
Ken
Posted By: serj5150

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/22/20 01:00 AM

I do egg wash, mustard and the Louisiana yellow beer batter bag.... I use canola oil in the old oil fryer but just bought an airfryer so I still have to experiment
Posted By: chickenman

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/22/20 01:45 PM

I'm still hooked on panko.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/22/20 02:37 PM

wash of egg/milk
1/2 bread crumbs and 1/2 cracker meal, S&P to taste.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/25/20 10:07 PM

Sprinkle filets with Tony Cachere, dip in white corn meal and fry to they float. Simple and delicious!!!
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/25/20 11:21 PM

I’m a Louisiana Blue man. If baking, I’ll go a different route. If you want that type of crispy fried chicken finish, you’re going to want an egg/milk wash, seasoning, and some kind of flour based batter mix rather than cornmeal, breadcrumbs, etc. The corn flakes are interesting, but I can’t see it being the same without flour. It’s probably better results in cast iron pot or Dutch oven or something along those lines too
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/26/20 01:51 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/26/20 02:10 AM

And if the corn flakes aren't your thing, try some instant potato flakes. Works great in the grease or in the skillet with a little olive oil and butter and sear med high heat. I've found the carton of egg whites has about the right consistency for egg wash.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: your favorite crappie breader? hungry LOL - 02/27/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by HOGON
We use a simple egg wash and Kellogg Corn Flake Crumbs from the baking isle at the grocery store.

Take some eggs and whip them up like you are going to make scrambled eggs. You want it thick not too runny.

We take the fillets soak them in lemon juice, a little bit of water, and pack them on ice to get them nice and firm. Leave them set in the fridge.

When ready to cook we take them out and dip them in the egg wash.

We dump the corn flake crumbs into a Ziploc bag. We toss the egg washed fillet into the Kellogg corn flake crumbs and coat it.

Take it out of the bag and lay on a plate with a paper towel Let it dry somewhat.

Throw the fillet in the fryer when ready.

Once you try the corn flake crumbs you will never want bread crumbs or corn meal again.

Season however you want.

We will cut the fillets up to bite size like chicken nuggets.

Like having popcorn crappie nuggets.

That sounds good! I gotta try it!!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum