Texas Fishing Forum

Full of Eggs in January???

Posted By: Wishbonez

Full of Eggs in January??? - 01/08/20 03:01 PM

I usually fish Lavon but went to Fork on Monday. Fished in 40', fish were suspended at 20-25'. I caught a baker's dozen of nice sized crappie and when cleaning was surprised to see that 10 of them were full of eggs. Sorry, no pics.

I've seen egg sacs at odd times before, but nothing like this. These girls looked like they were ready to pop any day. Anybody else encountering this? Is it an indication of an earlier than normal spawn?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Full of Eggs in January??? - 01/08/20 03:09 PM

Its pretty normal. Just because they were full of eggs does not mean those eggs will be ready earlier. It takes time for them to mature.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Full of Eggs in January??? - 01/08/20 03:55 PM

Normal. I've had eggs running out of female crappie on Fork in early March.
Posted By: SangerCrappieMan

Re: Full of Eggs in January??? - 01/09/20 09:39 PM

The ones that I caught last week at Lewisville had eggs in them too
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Full of Eggs in January??? - 01/10/20 03:33 AM

Doesn’t mean anything. They’re probably 3 months away from spawning
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Full of Eggs in January??? - 01/10/20 04:27 PM

Egg sacks usually start appearing in Nov. Female crappie caught in Dec usually always have egg sacs. Those eggs start to get rather large by Jan but spawns usually don't start till Feb. The peak will be March normally with some spawning in May.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Full of Eggs in January??? - 01/10/20 10:19 PM

WTG Ken...great answer!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Full of Eggs in January??? - 01/12/20 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wishbonez
I usually fish Lavon but went to Fork on Monday. Fished in 40', fish were suspended at 20-25'. I caught a baker's dozen of nice sized crappie and when cleaning was surprised to see that 10 of them were full of eggs. Sorry, no pics.

I've seen egg sacs at odd times before, but nothing like this. These girls looked like they were ready to pop any day. Anybody else encountering this? Is it an indication of an earlier than normal spawn?

So usually start hunting for spawning fish in February, around the full moon. I seem to find some big fat females, in spawning territory to keep me happy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum