Texas Fishing Forum

Weedless

Posted By: machoblanco61

Weedless - 01/06/20 03:44 AM

What do you all suggest for a weedless jig over and in brush tops?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Weedless - 01/06/20 03:42 PM

Timmy Toms.

http://timmytoms.com/shop/lead-weedless-jigs/
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Weedless - 01/06/20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gamblinman

Thanks.
Have you used them?
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Weedless - 01/10/20 10:43 PM

Hmmm, is this a trick question? If not, IMO...depending on the depth and location of the brush top...the lightest weight and the smallest hook size you can fish. Example, in the spring when the crappie are on the brush against the bank, I will use a 1/32 light wire hook with a number 6 hook. When the crappie are in brush in 10 fow, I will use a 1/16 oz light wire jig head with a number 4 hook. Further, if the crappie are in a logjam, I will use a 1/8 oz jig head, number 4 hook, but with a heavy bristle type brushguard.

I personally use REDGUN (forum name) to make my weedless jig heads, as he does a superb job, with excellent fit/finish.

Hope this answers your questions and tight lines.

Re: Weedless - 01/12/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by machoblanco61

Thanks.
Have you used them?

It's all I use.

Re: Weedless - 01/12/20 01:32 PM

Thanks.
Have you used them?

I have never used them. Personally, I prefer an unpainted collarless jig head and typically don’t use the spinner/retrieve type heads that this maker designs. They are pretty though.

Re: Weedless - 01/12/20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by crapicat

Thanks.
Have you used them?

I have never used them. Personally, I prefer an unpainted collarless jig head and typically don’t use the spinner/retrieve type heads that this maker designs. They are pretty though.

Did you open the link embedded in the post? Those are strictly weedless jig heads...no spinners

Re: Weedless - 01/13/20 03:00 AM

Hmmm, well, I opened ONE of the links, possibly the first one...all that came up were the roadrunner bladed types, which I seldom use (not my thing)...I have searched this website awhile back, when someone mentioned it to me...however, since you asked me the question, and got my curiosity going...think I will revisit, based on your question. Seriously, I would be remiss not to give full consideration to any bait.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Weedless - 01/13/20 03:07 AM

DIY

Re: Weedless - 01/13/20 03:18 AM

I saw some walleye style heads, with eyes and no spinners, collared, round bend hooks, with the classic styled weedless bristles. I didn’t seen any thin wire weedless, without collars...which is what I use 90% of the time.

This jigmaker seems to spend a good amount of time crafting jig heads and I feel relatively confident the paint is baked on, and the overall quality is top notch. Anyone that knows me knows I prefer to shop with local and forum manufacturers, rather than the big box type offerings. In fact, I seldom hit a store for my fishing purchases, due to the volume of superior products that I can get from forum members. This products seems to fit my general observation of local and/or forum products. Further, should I decide to go back to Canada walleye fishing, I would load up on those orange /red heads, in all sizes offered! Combined with firecracker bodies, the walleye would jump in the boat. BTW Gamblinman, thanks for the question!

Re: Weedless - 01/16/20 11:40 AM

That is a definite plus with Redgun's weedless jigheads...using the single strand of metal, he can bake the powdercoat, making a substantially stronger bond and tougher paint. There's no doubt he makes a fine product.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Weedless - 01/16/20 12:54 PM

I have Paul Mullins pour weedless Jigheads for me. They are1/16oz with the toothbrush fiber weedguard. I use unpainted lead heads with a #2 hook.

I fish bambo most of the time (very sticky) and rarely get hung up.

They will pay for themselves quickly in less lost Jigheads. If the guard is too stiff just trim a few of the bristles off with nail clippers.

His email is baitmaker2000@hotmail.com

Re: Weedless - 01/16/20 01:44 PM

Spider-Man, the bristle style (Classic) have their place in really heavy structure, and are what I revert to in such instances. Personally I trim all of my weedless portions down to the hook, regardless of style used. When trimming the bristle type, I tend to cut back a few extra bristles to about halfway to the jighead, from the hook point, but no further. The only issue I have had with the bristle type heads, is when you downsize the jig weight, the bristles overwhelm the lead head, and will pull out during use. So, I tend to limit my bristle use, to the larger jigheads, which lends itself to thicker structure anyway.

As far as the light wire weedless are concerned, you can easily move the wire out of the way to tie them up or put a plastic body on. I cut them to the hook as well. When you are fishing them, you have to feel your way into and out of the brush. In other words, don’t set the hook, on every branch you contact, wait until the crappie hits it! Occasionally, the wire will break off, before you wear the hook out, but it is not common. The light wire also lends itself to the smaller jighead sizes, which I prefer, for most of my fishing.

I am not much of a deep water structure type fisherman, but that is where I learned the value in using weedless jigheads. Basically, I have been using them ever since, for most of my fishing needs. I even badgered Abbott into tying up some weedless Jigs for me. Despite his initial protests, he found the single wire, could be moved out of the way during tying, and as such, was not a major hassle, as he first thought it would be.

All in all, I prefer weedless heads, except in instances where I won’t be in brush, such as bridge fishing. Heck, I even use them shooting docks with Cole...well, except when I am bumming his equipment...!!

Re: Weedless - 01/16/20 05:29 PM

Definitely no disadvantage to using weedless hooks except maybe the cost, but I thinks that will be returned quickly vs. lost jigheads. I've caught 6" crappie with them, so it doesn't affect hookset.

Re: Weedless - 01/17/20 12:27 AM

Agree...plus you don’t catch as many limbs! More fishing time and less tackle time...that is a good thing, on the water!
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Weedless - 01/17/20 12:51 AM

Watch (richard gene the fishing machine) on u tube. he gives a clip on how to make weedless hooks yourself from regular jig hooks with dental floss and super glue and 30 lb mono. I do my own weedless hooks it is easy! It works great. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum