Texas Fishing Forum

Two weeks in a row on LOP

Posted By: red snappa

Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/02/19 05:59 PM

LOP is producing some really big crappie right now. Both weekends crappie were caught in 30+ FOW suspended about 20ft. I scouted an area with a young man unfamiliar with the lake and his electronics, and found some MONSTERS! Jacob kept 14 for the freezer and the rest were returned to fight another day. We were using Thermocline Lures 2.5" Tadpoles in Ice Shad with a pink 1/4 oz Mad Crappie Jigs jighead. Fish were weighed with a Berkley digital scale that I just did not trust ( I think that it was weighing heavy ). Going with experience, we caught about 12 over 2 with the biggest being about 2.5 and not the 2.82 the scale showed.
The next week was followed by Tboxfish and I starting way east of where I fished the week before. We caught good fish fishing the 30-37 FOW along the creek channel. When we moved to the area I scouted the week before, most fish were 1.8 lbs or better. All 2+ lb crappie were released to fight another day. I started the day with an experimental color (PHANTOM) in a 2.5" tadpole, which produced the BFOD. The rest were caught with Ice Shad and Pearl Ice in 2.5" tadpoles with pink 1/4 oz heads. Todd kept 34 1.5-1.9 lb crappie to take to his neighbor. In all, it was two good days Tater!
By the way, did I mention LOP is producing some really big crappie right now?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Crappie Cats TV

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/02/19 06:15 PM

Awesome! banana
Posted By: NETXcrappiehunter

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/02/19 06:24 PM

my son will be home on leave from the Air Force Christmas week and I'm sure hoping the weather and fish cooperate so I can get him out on LOP. We will have 2 wks off to get out there and he can't wait to sling some of those TOADS Into the boat.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/02/19 10:41 PM

Awesome Pics and Post.

bow_down
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/02/19 11:12 PM

Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: crope1

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/03/19 12:17 AM

Good slabs right there!!! Hope to fish that lake for the first time after the holidays. Keep after’em Mr Snappa
Posted By: pop r

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/03/19 12:43 AM

Great job guys! cheers
Posted By: DOFC

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/03/19 01:49 AM

cheers What a fishery
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/03/19 02:55 AM

Excellent catch and post. Is it about time to start drifting towards the dam?
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/03/19 02:12 PM

I have never fished LOP. What part of the lake usually holds crappie the best. Going to try to gt out there during Christmas Holidays if weather cooperates.

Where is a good place to launch?

Wayne

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/03/19 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by bush hog
Excellent catch and post. Is it about time to start drifting towards the dam?

Bush Hog I'm not certain about the dam area yet. There are a few guides that have caught some in near the dam, but most are being caught in the timber further up the lake.

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/03/19 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by lurenthewind
I have never fished LOP. What part of the lake usually holds crappie the best. Going to try to gt out there during Christmas Holidays if weather cooperates.

Where is a good place to launch?

Wayne

Wayne, Look out at the dam and Johnson Creek are, in my opinion, the best places to launch on the lake. Keep an eye on reports, by Christmas the bite may be good in the dam area if the water cools down some more.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/05/19 02:59 PM

Went yesterday and it was tuff.6 hrs of fishing 10 fish,all good uns. Gates were open. Everybody I talked to was struggling.
Posted By: katjim

Re: Two weeks in a row on LOP - 12/05/19 04:13 PM

Nice fish....chunky
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum