Texas Fishing Forum

Catching minnows

Posted By: JAlfred

Catching minnows - 11/20/19 10:20 PM

I got an umbrella net this summer and used it to catch minnows. It worked great. Throw it out in shallow water near the shore, toss in a couple of bread balls and I had all the minnows I needed in 30 minutes. Yesterday, Nov 19, I put it out and got nothing. The bread was not touched. I tried suspending in deeper water. Same result.

The water is a lot cooler now--64 deg vs 85 deg this summer.

Since this is the first year I've ever tried this, I have no idea if the cooler water temp is the culprit. The minnows have to be somewhere.

Any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks--
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Catching minnows - 11/21/19 01:02 PM

When the air temperatures get cold the minnow will usually move out to much deeper water. They may be around sporadically but it will probably be spring before they are consistently back in shallow water.
Posted By: donothin

Re: Catching minnows - 11/21/19 01:53 PM

That has been my experience. Find them at the boat dock during the summer and can get all I need with a couple of throws of the cast net. Nothing recently so I guess i will fish with jigs or buy them.
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Catching minnows - 11/21/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by JAlfred
I got an umbrella net this summer and used it to catch minnows. It worked great. Throw it out in shallow water near the shore, toss in a couple of bread balls and I had all the minnows I needed in 30 minutes. Yesterday, Nov 19, I put it out and got nothing. The bread was not touched. I tried suspending in deeper water. Same result.

The water is a lot cooler now--64 deg vs 85 deg this summer.

Since this is the first year I've ever tried this, I have no idea if the cooler water temp is the culprit. The minnows have to be somewhere.

Any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks--


You need a minnow guide service.
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Catching minnows - 11/22/19 03:54 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will put away my umbrella net until spring or so. I found a minnow guide who guided me to my local Texaco station which also sells minnows.
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Catching minnows - 11/22/19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JAlfred
Thanks to everyone who replied. I will put away my umbrella net until spring or so. I found a minnow guide who guided me to my local Texaco station which also sells minnows.


i still have to stop there anyway to get my honeybuns and mrs bairds powdered donuts.....the minnows are a bonus!
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Catching minnows - 11/22/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
Originally Posted by JAlfred
Thanks to everyone who replied. I will put away my umbrella net until spring or so. I found a minnow guide who guided me to my local Texaco station which also sells minnows.


i still have to stop there anyway to get my honeybuns and mrs bairds powdered donuts.....the minnows are a bonus!



honeybuns and mrs bairds powdered donuts are the best
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Catching minnows - 11/22/19 05:50 PM

You might have some luck finding them in shallow creeks still because those are resident baitfish.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Catching minnows - 11/22/19 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bentman63
Originally Posted by ThaDudeAbides
Originally Posted by JAlfred
Thanks to everyone who replied. I will put away my umbrella net until spring or so. I found a minnow guide who guided me to my local Texaco station which also sells minnows.


i still have to stop there anyway to get my honeybuns and mrs bairds powdered donuts.....the minnows are a bonus!



honeybuns and mrs bairds powdered donuts are the best


Mrs. Bairds is great but I still remember taking the Buttercrust bread factory tour in San Antonio in the early 80's in elementary school...Those were magical times..LOL!!
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Catching minnows - 11/23/19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
You might have some luck finding them in shallow creeks still because those are resident baitfish.

Good idea, I will give that a shot. There is a shallow creek about a mile from the marina.
© 2020 Texas Fishing Forum