Texas Fishing Forum

how long is too long

Posted By: K. Loomis

how long is too long - 11/18/19 04:20 PM

Been fishing the slips on Lewisville. Last night i did pretty good for how slow it was. 13 fish, on bluegrass in 32 fow, fish suspended in the 12-22" range. very light bite.

I put 4 good keepers in my basket and went home. usually this isnt an issue, and all my fish are still very much alive when i return the next evening to fillet and fish some more. this morning i got a call from one of the guys saying all the fish in my basket were dead. i wont be off work till 5.

im gonna check them out when i get there, and they will probably be just fine. but id like to hear from others as to how long is too long?
Posted By: JSouther

Re: how long is too long - 11/18/19 09:56 PM

Turtles maybe

Re: how long is too long - 11/18/19 10:36 PM

not really worried about how they died lol.

my main question is, once its dead, how long do you really have before the fish spoils.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: how long is too long - 11/18/19 10:50 PM

Here's a link on how to identify a fresh fish:

https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/how-to-tell-if-your-fish-is-fresh-5-tips-to-remember-1751503

You might try overnighting your basket at 12 to 22 feet and see if they stay alive better. No one hates to lose a mess of crappie worse that me.

Re: how long is too long - 11/19/19 03:31 PM

thanks for the link and suggestion uncle_bagster. i ended up saving all but one.
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: how long is too long - 11/19/19 05:44 PM

with the water as cool as it is now, 24 hours is no big deal dead or alive. much beyond that and i would give it the old smell test for sure!
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: how long is too long - 11/20/19 03:37 PM

Gill color and cloudy eyes, good tips from the article.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum