Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for Answers

Posted By: SeaPro21

Looking for Answers - 11/15/19 09:53 PM

Well, with the nice weather today thought would be a great time to search for some crappie. Westcliff on Belton is down the road from the house so thought I would do some checking around the Dam. Pulled up to the ramp and all I got from the tilt and trim switch was a clicking noise on the motor. I have a 2008 Yamaha VMAX 150. The motor will start and just charged all the batteries. Really hope this is not gonna be a big issue. Have some ideas but appreciate any advice
Posted By: feedman

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/15/19 10:33 PM

I don't know about that motor or setup but probably just a relay went out. Follow the wire and you will probably come across a relay. That is where I would start.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/16/19 02:16 AM

The tilt/trim is usually grounded on the motor somewhere. Look for a ground wire that may be loose. The clicking noise can be an arcing sound or a relay/solenoid clicking. Take the cowl off and search for the source of the noise.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/16/19 09:25 AM

All the sudden probably a bad or corroded ground. If it has a second trim switch did you try it?

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/16/19 09:54 AM

Yeah, I searched for loose wires but nothing. The motor still looks like new with cover off and found no corrosion. The boat has total of 3 switches and I get the same clicking noise on the motor with all 3. I checked all over the internet and think it might be the relay. Found some trouble shooting videos on youtube and gonna try a few things and hope I get it figured out. If I get it I will post the link to the videos
Posted By: Brent's Dad

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/16/19 07:47 PM

I know you said motor started which would indicate there is at least 12 volts In electric system but if you have a volt meter make sure you are getting 12 volts to the trim and tilt system. I would suggest checking at the tilt switch on the motor by removing motor cover. If less then 12 volts here, I would clean the negative and positive post to your battery and all the wires connected to these post and make sure all wires are tight to their connectors. If the issue is here I would suspect it in the negative wires more than others since you are getting a click noise. Per my repair manual there are two fuses 20 amp and a 30 amp fuse in the tilt and trim system follow wiring from motor switch to see if you can find them and make sure there is no corrosion or bad wire connection in either of these fuses limiting 12 volts getting to the relays. If all above check out good I would suspect relays. There are two one for up movement and one for down movement. It would be highly unusual for both relays to go out at the same time ( but it could) so if you are not getting any movement of motor by attempting to tilt motor either up or down then I would not suspect the relays to be the issue unless they ar both blown, again highly unusual. Try tilting motor down and if you get tilt down motor activation, your tilt up relay is out. Pull the relay out and go to any good auto parts store that has people there with more knowledge than asking you what year make and model is your car. Boat relays are like car relays just match the values of each relay post to the same number of relay post and the same post plug in orientation and the auto parts relay should work for you boat no need to get a Yahama relay. Look for numbers on the relay like Orion (one brand type, there are others) followed by numbers and they should be able to cross reference to the brand they carry. If they can’t ask them what brand of relays they do carry and if your have a smart phone go to google and type in the brand and part number of your relay along with the word cross reference and it should show you what to ask the parts person for if the cross reference shows the brands they carry. Let’s assume they have the relay Examine relay before purchasing to make sure it matches plug in post and values at each post and if it does you should be set. I have gone through this same issue myself, so if this does not fix your issue you can call me at 512-963-7714 my name is Gary and we can discuss further. Good luck

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/16/19 08:02 PM

If it turns out to be the relay buy one extra and store in your boat, the up or down relays are the same so one spare should do you unless both are blown then two spares maybe in order. If both are blown I would suspect a locked up or shorted tilt and trim motor. Again if motor is bad there is a place in Temple that refurbished my starting motor and they should be able to refurbish tilt and trim motor. Not saying this is the case, just saying there is a way to avoid replacing a motor with an expensive new Yahama motor.

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/16/19 09:40 PM

Oh my gosh, first off to everyone thank you for your help. Brents Dad and everyone, so I go out today and thinking Im going to have to pull the relay with the green and blue wire and replace that part. Well all of a sudden the tilt and trim is working but now it is not raising the motor up or down. I tested the relay according to a youtube video and the relay with the two wires is good. Now I did loosen the screw on the side of the motor to manually lower the motor to get the boat back in my garage but I did tighten it back up. So what its doing now is when I hit the switch up the 2 prongs that push the motor up will actually raise as far as they will go but Im guessing the middle prong is not pushing the motor to raise further. Now when I say the 2 prongs will push up, that is without the motor resting on them. After they are up I can actually take my fingers and push them back down. Now if the problem is low hydraulic fluid wouldn't I have picked up on that rather than all of a sudden. Sure do appreciate all the help

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/16/19 11:02 PM

You are low on fluid. Yahama manual says to use dexron II automatic transmission fluid. To get to the filler cap you need to raise the motor all the way to the top and then push down on the bracket lever to tick motor at the top and prevent it from coming down on you. Remove the cap with larger than normal Phillips screw driver head or pliers. The opening is small so if you can get a small syringe and pull the fluid into it by pouring several ounces into a small cup or lid Place tip of syringe in fluid and pull the syringe plunger to the top drawing fluid into the syringe Place into cap opening and push syringe in to fill. Repeat above until fluid runs out of the hole. Best to lower the tongue of your trailer as low to the ground as you can to make the fluid opening as parallel to the ground as you can. Replace cap raise motor slightly and flip the safety bar up and cycle motor all the way up and down several times then repeat the process again. Once you have done so Several times (you are trying to get the air out of the tilt and trim system). You know you have all the air out when you have the motor all the way down and you engage the tilt up switch and the pistons move immediately. If it runs and positions are still not moving you need to do the following. Raise motor all the way to the top and press the down switch for a second and then stop, repeat again. What you are trying to do is bounce the motor down to force the air pass the piston and cylinder. You may have to repeat this from top to bottom 3 to 4 times to get the air out and then raise motor all the way up, pull down the safety bar to lock motor up and put more fluid back into the system. Call me if you have and questions. Automatic transmission fluid from any parts store or Walmart. Fluid on the market today is I believe Dexron III OR IV, these will work also

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/16/19 11:29 PM

Brents Dad I sure do appreciate all your help. So your saying to use dexron II automatic transmission fluid instead of yamaha tilt trim oil? I recon I should be able to just pick that up at walmart. I got company over this evening so hopefully get this taken care of tomorrow. To be honest I will probably give you a call because I more than likely will have some questions. Thanks again

Re: Looking for Answers - 11/17/19 03:55 AM

I have a Yahama factory maintenance manual for my 150 vmax same engine as yours, same year. In 2005 the fluid was ATF Dexron II. The ATF stands for automatic transmission fluid. If you can find ATF Dexron Ii (2) use it but I don’t believe they make the II (2) any more it has been replaced by Dexron III (3) or Dexron IV (4) as stated prior. I don’t recall what revision that you can easily find now but any of the above mention should work. I also have a 1989 Evinrude 150 Co and I have been using ATF Dexron in it for years with no issue. As long as the ATF fluid you chose say it is Dexron Ii or Dexron III or Dexron IV on it you can use it. As a final not several months ago my Yahama was low on this fluid because there is a small leak around on of the small tilt piston seals which I can live with now. Since leak is real small, it is Less expensive to refill with ATF than fix the seal. One final caution make sure you check your lower unit oil often on a Yahama. Their prop shat seal has a design flaw in my opinion. Yahama places the two prop shat seals in the same direction, they are more worried about water entering than fluid going out. I have for friends who have ruined their lower units because the oil leaked out and they ran dry of oil and trashed their lower units. Both Evinrude and Mercury Place one seal in one direction and the other seal in the opposite direction to prevent water from coming in and oil going out. I replaced a friends prop shaft seals for him on a Yahama 300 and put them in on opposite directions and so far no water in and no oil out. I recommend doing so when it comes time replacing the prop shaft seals. I also have a very easy way to do this to be accomplished in 15 minutes or less without pull off the lower unit. When you call we can discuss
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum