Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie fishing with sugar snap peas! Is scent really that important?

Posted By: KidKrappie

Crappie fishing with sugar snap peas! Is scent really that important? - 11/01/19 08:13 PM

In this video, I use sugar snap peas to catch crappie. This makes me wonder if crappie are more visual feeders or scent feeders. I have always said crappie have big eyes for a reason and that is how they feed. What you think?

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Crappie fishing with sugar snap peas! Is scent really that important? - 11/02/19 12:26 AM

Enjoyed the video. Good job under some tough conditions. Also nice fish. thumb
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Crappie fishing with sugar snap peas! Is scent really that important? - 11/02/19 12:48 PM

i totally agree! iv been fishing for over 60 years seen all kinds of things come and go as far as fish scent from fish scales to nibbles. and see no difference in the amount of bites i get.One thing i will say is back when i was bass fishing the bass would hold on longer to a power worm than others.we proved this by bending the hook over and see how long they would hold the bait. they would spit the non power bait right out but actually swim around with the power worm in there mouth.other than that all the dips,oil's,powder and nib's seem to make no difference other than fisherman confidence. if it works for you great,but i think its more the depth,location and presentation more than anything else.
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Crappie fishing with sugar snap peas! Is scent really that important? - 11/02/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by hawghoover
One thing i will say is back when i was bass fishing the bass would hold on longer to a power worm than others.we proved this by bending the hook over and see how long they would hold the bait. they would spit the non power bait right out but actually swim around with the power worm in there mouth.

That’s what Berkeley Power Bait was designed to to. Not get you more bites, but to get the fish to hold on a bit longer so you could get a hook set before they spit it out.

That being said, I have found while crappie fishing that the same jig with a power nibble will get more action than without it, fishing the same spot at the same time.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Crappie fishing with sugar snap peas! Is scent really that important? - 11/02/19 02:42 PM

I am not saying that scent doesn't help at times but simply the fish don't rely on it. I know people that won't put a jig in the water without a nibble. That's not me. If it's slow, I will try it but I am not married to them. That being said if it works for you then that's all that matters.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum