Texas Fishing Forum

How to find wind protected area on a lake?

Posted By: YakRider

How to find wind protected area on a lake? - 10/30/19 04:05 AM

I realize this would be an unbelievable dumb question for most of you but please bare with me. With a given wind direction, let say south wind, how do you determine what areas would be wind protected when looking at the map?

Thanks,
Brian
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: How to find wind protected area on a lake? - 10/30/19 12:09 PM

With a South wind the South shore line would be most protected from the wind. The further out you get from the South shore the waves have more time to build up. You could also fish the north side of an island with a south wind to have a little "wind break."
Posted By: donothin

Re: How to find wind protected area on a lake? - 10/30/19 01:19 PM

Sometimes the wind seems to blow no matter where you are. It whips around corners and comes at you no matter how hard you try. Getting on the upwind side of a tall cliff or deep into a cove is the only way sometimes.
Posted By: SK.

Re: How to find wind protected area on a lake? - 10/30/19 01:55 PM

While out scouting it’s a great time to either make written or mental notes of areas with wind direction in mind...... When putting structure out it’s always good to take notice of wind and current that will be good for that pile......
Will be a big factor in putting fish in the boat more times than not.....
Posted By: oilman58

Re: How to find wind protected area on a lake? - 10/30/19 03:10 PM

Download windfinder.com
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: How to find wind protected area on a lake? - 10/30/19 07:09 PM

Fish around the marinas. they are built to be protected in most areas.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: How to find wind protected area on a lake? - 10/30/19 09:41 PM

You know that is a very good question, I ask myself that lots of times. I have a cove that has many coves or fingers that can be fished out of the wind for that very reason. Knowing boat ramps that are fairly protected is also valuable. On windy days I try to stay out of the main body and fish in protected areas. Living on a lake I notice that the wind can change complete direction during the day more than once and if I am paddling a canoe I want to know direction and strength. Stay safe out there.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: How to find wind protected area on a lake? - 10/30/19 10:54 PM

I'd look at a satellite map and see what has large structures to block the wind. Many times it is just experience of a lake. I fish Joe Pool a lot and one side can have big rough waves and the other side can be almost like glass at times or will change direction enough to cause calm areas that you wouldn't necessarily think would be calm just going by the reported wind direction.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum