Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie Size

Posted By: Sirjet

Crappie Size - 10/29/19 08:11 PM

How old is a 6 inch crappie typically?
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Crappie Size - 10/29/19 08:25 PM

According to some information recently compiled by officials with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, a six-inch black crappie that weighs 0.1 pounds will be, on average, 2.1 years old. A white crappie (distinguishable because it has five or six dorsal spines, compared to the black’s seven or eight) of the same length and weight will be 1.9 years old.

A nine-inch black crappie that weighs 0.4 pounds will be 4.2 years old. A white crappie of that length will probably weigh 0.3 pounds and be 3.8 years old.

At fourteen inches, the typical black crappie weighs 1.7 pounds and will be 14.3 years old. A 14-inch white crappie will be 1.4 pounds and 9.1 years old.

And a 19-inch black crappie, like the one that stands as the state record fish• It will have been swimming around for about 19 years.
Posted By: 262620

Re: Crappie Size - 10/29/19 08:40 PM

BS. My son has 6mo. old crappie that stocked at 2" that are 7" long.
Posted By: lead head

Re: Crappie Size - 10/29/19 08:57 PM

I'm sure I depends on the part of the country you live in, Southern states with warmer water will have faster growth rates.

Re: Crappie Size - 10/29/19 09:08 PM

I saw that on the web also. I just have to figure out when I will be re-catching the 100 6 inch crappie yesterday. And when will they be 10 inch or bigger.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Crappie Size - 10/29/19 11:13 PM

Half a year to a year depending on what lake.
Posted By: shadboy

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sirjet
I saw that on the web also. I just have to figure out when I will be re-catching the 100 6 inch crappie yesterday. And when will they be 10 inch or bigger.

Well good news is you are catching crappie. Was just a few months ago you were asking lots of questions about how
👍
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 01:20 AM

on Fork in the winter time you have to keep them all,....unless they spit the bait at the boat. Happens..... grin
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bentman63
According to some information recently compiled by officials with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, a six-inch black crappie that weighs 0.1 pounds will be, on average, 2.1 years old. A white crappie (distinguishable because it has five or six dorsal spines, compared to the black’s seven or eight) of the same length and weight will be 1.9 years old.

A nine-inch black crappie that weighs 0.4 pounds will be 4.2 years old. A white crappie of that length will probably weigh 0.3 pounds and be 3.8 years old.

At fourteen inches, the typical black crappie weighs 1.7 pounds and will be 14.3 years old. A 14-inch white crappie will be 1.4 pounds and 9.1 years old.

And a 19-inch black crappie, like the one that stands as the state record fish• It will have been swimming around for about 19 years.

Crappie grow much faster in the south than they do up north. Fish have a year round growing season down here. My understanding based on articles I’ve read is that crappie don’t live much longer than 4-5 years down here.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
on Fork in the winter time you have to keep them all,....unless they spit the bait at the boat. Happens..... grin

A lot. These crappy hooks I use keep losing their barb.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by lead head
I'm sure I depends on the part of the country you live in, Southern states with warmer water will
have faster growth rates.

It depends on the lake, as well as the region. There is a lot of nutrient rich lakes that will churn out fast crappie growth. As I recall, a 7 or 8 year old crappie has lived a full life, and in a good lake in our region they will be huge. If I had to guess, Sirjet, A six inch crappie will probably be around a year old.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 04:02 AM

Did they shrink? Was 9 3/4.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
Half a year to a year depending on what lake.

Plus #1. thumb

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 02:05 PM

scruboak, you know me and you only catch 9 3/4 fish only. I think that is the law.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Crappie Size - 10/30/19 07:38 PM

roflmao
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Crappie Size - 10/31/19 03:03 AM

Per Texas Parks and Wildlife..... Fish of both species may live up to eight years and
become sexually mature at one to two years hooked

Re: Crappie Size - 10/31/19 12:51 PM

It is Amazing to me the Life span of The Crappie. So after 7 or 8 years they die?
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Crappie Size - 10/31/19 02:10 PM

That's what it sounds like....at least in the south. hmmm

Re: Crappie Size - 10/31/19 02:46 PM

OK Guys educate me. i went to lake bridgeport. I caught at least 100 6 inch crappie. These crappie will die off in about 7 years? And the 13 inch Crappie i have caught there are almost at their life's end?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum