Texas Fishing Forum

Fall Crappie Questions

Posted By: plugchunker

Fall Crappie Questions - 10/09/19 05:23 PM

This is my first yr chasing crappie and I'm on a good pattern right now with fish in timber and brush in 20 fow. Can yall help me with what to expect over the next few wks with these fronts coming through. Will the crappie move off these piles and go deeper? shallower? Will they move to the river or dam? Will the bite shut off after a front? and if so for how long? Any help would be much appreciated. I'm hoping they stay on the same spots I've found for a little longer cuz its been a blast but i'm worried next wkd when I go they'll be gone. Any help is much appreciated.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/09/19 05:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9s62aaqlug

fish
` hooked

If you fish Fork check the winter dates that you have to keep what you catch,... food
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/09/19 06:45 PM

There will slowly be less and less fish on that stuff. Some of those fish will go shallow in the creeks and some will go deep down by the dam. I personally love fronts in the fall and winter. It helps push them to their winter haunts and keeps them there. As far as the bite after, They will bite after fronts with no problem. Some of my best days creek fishing are right after a front when it is freezing cold when everyone else says to stay home.

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/09/19 06:46 PM

I have found they typically make the move in early November but it depends on how cold it gets.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/09/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by plugchunker
This is my first yr chasing crappie and I'm on a good pattern right now with fish in timber and brush in 20 fow. Can yall help me with what to expect over the next few wks with these fronts coming through. Will the crappie move off these piles and go deeper? shallower? Will they move to the river or dam? Will the bite shut off after a front? and if so for how long? Any help would be much appreciated. I'm hoping they stay on the same spots I've found for a little longer cuz its been a blast but i'm worried next wkd when I go they'll be gone. Any help is much appreciated.
IMHO
It depends on the lake you`re fishing. Too many variables. You will get numerous opinions but You have to put in the work on your specific body of water at different times & conditions to at least get a clue what the fish there are doing or will be doing & there still is no guarantee coolio..... or get a guide.IMHO
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/09/19 08:07 PM

Yeah it depends on the lake for sure, but generally they will slowly leave structure and become open water predators. IMO the ‘creek bite’ is nothing to write home about, the majority of fish will head for deep water by the dam chasing shad. Usually by the time December hits they’ll be found bunches up in their deep water haunts.
Posted By: BP5168

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/09/19 09:49 PM

When they're in the creeks are people still jigging it up or are they throwing minnows out with bobbers?

Asking for a friend. :P
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/10/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Yeah it depends on the lake for sure, but generally they will slowly leave structure and become open water predators. IMO the ‘creek bite’ is nothing to write home about, the majority of fish will head for deep water by the dam chasing shad. Usually by the time December hits they’ll be found bunches up in their deep water haunts.
I agree for the most part about generally how they Should transition but for me IMHO it depends on the lake and how the shad Transition. Here`s an example: a few years ago, during the month of Jan,I made a trip to one area lake and caught no fish until I hit deep water BP`s and Timber in 25-30 fow.It was freezing cold! That SAME WEEK, still FREEZING COLD, I went to another area lake closer to home & COULDN`T BUY a bite in deep water! IN FACT it wasn`t until I went up into a CREEK( Walnut )on this particular Lake that I limited out in 10 -15 fow. The point i`m trying to make is not all lakes fish the same. I`m jus sayin no argument here
thumb

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/10/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BP5168
When they're in the creeks are people still jigging it up or are they throwing minnows out with bobbers?

It depends. If I am in a boat, I am vertical jigging. If I am on the bank, I will throw a jig under a slip bobber.

You can see my bank setup in the video below.
Posted By: BP5168

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/11/19 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
Originally Posted by BP5168

It depends. If I am in a boat, I am vertical jigging. If I am on the bank, I will throw a jig under a slip bobber.

You can see my bank setup in the video below.

Nice!
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Fall Crappie Questions - 10/11/19 03:26 AM

Thanks for the video.
Nice job.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum