Texas Fishing Forum

Livescope Question

Posted By: Sirjet

Livescope Question - 09/05/19 01:19 PM

Does Livescope make your fishing trips more fun or easier?
I understand a Guide has to produce.
But just the weekend fishing guy. I enjoy the art of looking
But maybe I am in the small percentile.
I am not asking this to get people all worked up.
I just see a good amount of people posting and giving the props to Livescope.
Please be nice.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 01:35 PM

Nicely..... Buy live scope and all the fish in the lake fight to jump in your boat.......

L.....O........L JK

Just because you see'um don't make them bite.....

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 01:46 PM

LOL SK.
I think you had Livescope before Livescope.
Some how some way you know something i don't.
Thanks for all you do Sir.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 02:08 PM

Fishing is an efficiency game, livescope makes you infinitely more efficient.
Posted By: txred0810

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Fishing is an efficiency game, livescope makes you infinitely more efficient.

Cameron is correct here but you still need to know where to go and when to make moves. We fished the same day that Cameron won the crappie fishing fools tournament last week and could only manage to put 7 crappie in the boat. Livescope would be full of fish that we could not get to bite. LS makes it infinitely easier to determine the depth of fish and put the bait right in front of their face. It also helps you learn their reactions to the presentation. I've enjoyed having it but it hasn't necessarily put more fish in the boat.
Posted By: Asleep At The Reel

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 03:06 PM

Here is the deal. I have it and I love it. I am not a guide I just love to fish. This makes it easier to find the fish for sure, BUT it does not make them bite. Sometimes it is an amazing tool. Other times it is the most frustrating thing. It is like seeing 1 million dollars and someone says, if you can reach it, it is yours. You reach and get 1/2 inch away and that is all you can do. I can see the fish, I can judge (for the most part) what type fish it is by its actions and I can tell how big it is, BUT I cannot make it bite. Right now for instance there are trees with 50 crappie sitting on them. If I am lucky I can pull out 1-3 fish per tree. What it allows me to do is cover more water as I do not waste time wondering if they fish are there and I have learned a little more about the fish and what they do. Example, I grew up hearing that crappie will not go down for bait, they only go up. That is SO not true. I watch them shoot down 4 feet sometimes to grab my line.

Basically it is a tool that you can use to help, but it does not make you the best. You are the best when you can land them at any point. I love fishing our bridge, my first videos were of me doing that before I got Livescope. I will not/ do not use it on the bridge because it is more of a hassle. I know where the fish are and if they do not bite there, I raise or lower accordingly. So hope that helps you out. If I had to do it again, yes I would buy Livescope in a heart beat. If you had asked me that the first couple of weeks I had it, I would have said I just waisted money. It is a tool that you have to use and learn (not hard at all) and it helps you. Hope that helps.

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 03:18 PM

I have subscribed to SK and Asleep at the Reel. both guy are Awesome fishermen. I was just curious. it might even be a little jealous of not having it. LOL. no matter what comes out . Fishermen will still be fishermen. How you fish is neither right or wrong (unless it is illegal). We all enjoy being out and putting in work to achieve whatever goal we set. keep up the good work everyone.

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 03:23 PM

Ooohhh I want it but the question I ask myself is do I need it.......LOL

I'll just keep my thousands when I don't need something.....

And besides that they need to improve the clarity from blobs, $5k I better be able to see fins and eyeballs.....LOL

Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 03:36 PM

Just my opinion but it really depends on what you are doing. Guides and tournament fisherman need it the most from what I can tell. Customers will love to see a fish hit there jig on livescope and it makes it easier to get clients to catch fish because the guide can coach them through it. Tournament fisherman can pick which fish they wish to target with livescope and don't have to catch little fish. Helps them narrow down the bigger fish IMO.

For the normal fishermen like you and me, I don't think it is worth it. It doesn't make them bite and I can catch fish just fine without it. I can see the fish just fine with my side imaging and downscan. If you don't have a spot lock trolling motor, then that is what I would focus on. To me, that is way more valuable than livescope. With all of this being said to each their own. If you have the money to blow then go for it but it is needed no.
Posted By: txred0810

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by SK.
Ooohhh I want it but the question I ask myself is do I need it.......LOL

I keep my thousands when I don't need something.....

And besides that they need to improve the clarity from blobs, $5k I better be able to see fins and eyeballs.....LOL

I agree on the clarity. I think that will be the next thing in line. I can't imagine how nice it would be if it had the clarity of the helix mega units. I have about $2300 in my setup.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 07:16 PM

Best money I have spent since spotlock. Livescope would not be nearly as good without spotlock but combined with it it's terrific.
As far as spending money??? If you can afford a boat what's the difference between a $20.000. rig (most are more ) and a $25,000. rig.

Today we searched for new underwater trees and found 18 nice looking ones. Caught a bunch of fish on 5 of them. We quickly found that if the tree didn't have a school of fish on the livescope it was a waste of time to fish them.

It's true that livescope won't make them bite but it's also true that the fishermen, for the most part, that are negative about the system are the ones that don't have it. Obviously if you pull on a spot, see the fish and can put your bait right on his nose, you have a better chance of catching them.

I love mine and I definitely can catch more fish and have more fun with livescope.

Get one you won't regret it.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 07:18 PM

I'm retired. I'm not a guide (anymore). I fish a lot more often than most guys. I have had LiveScope for 11 months. The first two months, I would have sold it for half if someone had offered, because I had so much trouble learning the nuances of the unit. Now I've got it pretty well down pat....and I won't go fishing without one. Not because it makes me catch more fish, but because it makes me a better fisherman. I now understand what a crappie will do in a given situation...and what he won't do (and that's a lot more often). It's an expensive set-up and not for everyone. But, if you can afford one (and don't buy less than 10"), can learn how to use it (and it's not intuitive), it will change the way you fish, and in my opinion...for the better. Hope this helps.

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 09:05 PM

Just to stir the pot a little. So if you had to not use Livescope. Could you enjoy the fishing trip? Or would you complain the whole time for not being able to us Livescope?
Posted By: Krappie-King

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sirjet
Just to stir the pot a little. So if you had to not use Livescope. Could you enjoy the fishing trip? Or would you complain the whole time for not being able to us Livescope?

I would say that I could go fishing anytime, not catch a single fish, and still enjoy the fishing trip. I think there are a lot of people on this forum with that same mind set. With that being sad, is it more enjoyable to catch more fish? Yes

I do not have live-scope, but have fished with it multiple times now. I will say that while on the boat you have the decision to either 1) fish how you normally crappie fish or 2) Use the live-scope to crappie fish. I will say by the end of every trip I would not even drop my jig in the water unless I could see it on the livescope. It makes you an extremely efficient fishermen and will allow you to catch more fish. This does not mean you can't catch fish other ways, but it sure makes it a heck of a lot easier.

On a side note, I think it could really draw younger kids to fishing. I was extremely fortunate to have a father that would take me out when I was really young, and teach me the love for the outdoors. Most kids nowadays are not that fortunate, and will never appreciate the sport we all love. They do however spend hours and hours on video games watching a screen. The livescope adds this video game type touch to fishing, and makes it much more exciting for the younger generation. I think this could draw out a younger crowd, and perhaps convince people's sons/daughters to go out on the lake instead of sitting at home looking at a screen.

Just my 2cents
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Livescope Question - 09/05/19 10:03 PM

After a while of this, I went old school and switched over to DI/2D sonar. Although it was nice to see my bait in a large suspended school of decent-sized crappie (1.1/4 -1.5 because I caught a couple eventually) I became board. Livescope is simply another tool. Some use 2D only. Some use DI/2D sonar and no SI. Some use SI sonar and no Livescope. Some use Livescope sonar only.
I still use DI/2D when fishing a brush pile and not even look at Livescope (This time of year. It drives me crazy hammer)
P.S. I'm glad I have it on board say the least...

This was this morning from the kayak in some skinny waters. The deepest water on this small lake is 16.5...

Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Livescope Question - 09/06/19 03:31 AM

Until last summer, I had not fished much at all in about 40 years. Last year my Grandson (17 now) and I began fishing from kayaks. Had a blast, caught a few, but nothing to write home about.

This year I bought a bass boat and we were going out at least once a week until school and football started. I put Livescope on my boat and I rarely even fish. I usually let my Grandson and whoever goes with us fish and I just fool with the Livescope and trolling motor. I also put an Ulterra troller on my boat and let's just say, I ain't real good with the remote yet either.

The Livescope allows someone with a lot less experience fishing be more successful and hopefully shorten the learning curve somewhat. I am too old to have a very long learning curve.

Wayne
Posted By: Kylefield

Re: Livescope Question - 09/07/19 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sirjet

The jury is out on that question. I would probably catch more fish than someone that has not fished with one. Certain old school ways of thinking like crappie don't chase prey downward have been proven wrong with Livescope. It will teach you about fish patterns and when they are and are not active. It's great for finding brush and trees with and without fish on them. If someone where to try to take my Livescope I would treat it like someone taking my guns.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Livescope Question - 09/08/19 11:35 AM

Ask Josh Jones...he said he was just a below average crappie fisherman before Panoptix and Livescope.

Re: Livescope Question - 09/08/19 08:49 PM

If LS helps ya it helps ya if ya don't need it ya don't need it..... My opinion is my opinion and everyone will have one.... That LS in my book is a way over priced live updating version of 2D...... That's my opinion.... Will I ever own LS? Yes when the price is half or better than what it is now...... hmmm
2D is old technology and learning to set and read it has helped me a ton.....
Posted By: JSouther

Re: Livescope Question - 09/09/19 01:02 AM

So I gather if you have the coin and want to have the opportunity to catch more fish then try it out. What about other species of fish other than crappie?

Re: Livescope Question - 09/09/19 01:07 AM

Next is I want to get it and ready to get installed but still using old hummingbird di. Who can sell me unit set it up and show me how to use it?
Posted By: Tim nichols

Re: Livescope Question - 09/09/19 01:11 AM

I love mine could I do without it yes. It eliminates unproductive water for me, and just fun to use.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Livescope Question - 09/09/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by JSouther
Next is I want to get it and ready to get installed but still using old hummingbird di. Who can sell me unit set it up and show me how to use it?

David Goodson at Shut Up and Fish. Comprehensive Livescope service. One stop shop.

Re: Livescope Question - 09/09/19 01:05 PM

I understand what everyone is saying. And in most cases I agree. but IMOW I Enjoy knowing that I might or might not catch all the fish I want. Yes the goal is to catch fish. But enjoying the different aspects of the sport is my drug. it doesn't even have anything to do with the price. I can only speak for me. And the not knowing is the fun part. This thread was not presented to make someone stop or start using LS. I just noticed how LS in many cases is the end all be all to some people. Enjoy your toys. I am waiting until my lure can go down grab the fish and bring back to me. LOL
Posted By: Buff2

Re: Livescope Question - 09/09/19 03:41 PM

On my boat I have spot lock, Humminbird mega SI and Livescope.
I would give up the Live Scope before I would do without SI, it is how I find the fish.
I would give up SI before I would give up Spot lock, It keeps me on the fish.

On most of my trips I just use the Live Scope to set the depth for the slip corks.
My most productive method this summer has been to set 30 or 40 feet away and have folks cast over to the fish with minnows under slip corks.

PS It works good for suspended Channel cats also.

Attached picture 71043989_520405272066916_5600392897330413568_n.jpg

Re: Livescope Question - 09/09/19 10:59 PM

So I gather if you have the coin and want to have the opportunity to catch more fish then try it out. What about other species of fish other than crappie?

Here is a video I recorded for some nice Big Blues...

I caught 11 of these in an hour.

Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Livescope Question - 09/10/19 01:04 AM

Nice to have the live scope and then see the actual fish you caught.
Thanks for the posting.

Re: Livescope Question - 09/11/19 11:58 PM

Shut up and fish do you have a shop or set up appt. I am debating on selling my boat to get a bigger one and set up with livescope.

Re: Livescope Question - 09/12/19 04:13 AM

Shut up and fish do you have a shop or set up appt. I am debating on selling my boat to get a bigger one and set up with livescope.

We do have a shop in Lewisville on Business 121. Click the link below. Call ahead to make sure we are in and not on the water.

http://www.shut-up-and-fish.com/contact_us.php

[Linked Image]

Re: Livescope Question - 09/12/19 02:28 PM

Thank Guys. I guess i will Shut up and Fish. LOL
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum