Texas Fishing Forum

Stepping up my electronics game - questions

Posted By: wh2004

Stepping up my electronics game - questions - 09/02/19 07:19 PM

I’m equipping my boat, a 15’ stick steer jon, with graph and trolling motor. I’ve never had good electronics. Here’s specifically what I want to do:

Ease around scanning and marking structure with waypoints on my graph. Then I want my trolling motor to anchor me over those way points.

Please tell me if this is what I need to make that work?

Minn Kota terrova I-link trolling motor
Helix 7 g3N SI
External gps puck (someone told me I need one of these to mount on the rear of the boat to eliminate the offset of whar im seeing on the graph at the transducer and where the way point is set from the internal gps of the head unit, which would be about 10 ft)

Will all cables I need be included or do I need to buy anything else? Does anyone do on the water classes for electronics cuz I’m brand new to this?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Stepping up my electronics game - questions - 09/02/19 07:21 PM

Btw I don’t necessarily care about the auto pilot taking me along the graph contours and all that as much as caring about It anchoring me exactly above structure I’ve set way points on.
So if you know an easier cheaper way to do that, let me know!
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Stepping up my electronics game - questions - 09/02/19 07:32 PM

i-Pilot Link will have both follow the contour and go-to waypoint features. The Helix 7 G3N SI will network with the i-pilot link trolling motor. You will need the Ethernet adapter cable which will screw into the link cable from the trolling motor and then plug right into the back of the Helix 7 G3N SI unit.

Are you wanting 12v or 24v?

What shaft length?

Do you want cable steer like to traditional scissor-style cable foot pedal trolling motor or the modern electric steer trolling motor?

Trolling Motor...
Helix G3N unit...
Ethernet Adapter Cable...
Heading Sensor GPS Antenna...

Re: Stepping up my electronics game - questions - 09/03/19 02:31 AM

I'll pm you
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Stepping up my electronics game - questions - 09/03/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Btw I don’t necessarily care about the auto pilot taking me along the graph contours and all that as much as caring about It anchoring me exactly above structure I’ve set way points on.
So if you know an easier cheaper way to do that, let me know!

David will take care of you thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum