Texas Fishing Forum

Sure is quiet

Posted By: SK.

Sure is quiet - 08/29/19 05:02 PM

What's working for you? Jig sizes, colors, depth of water and action? Are you seeing the fish starting their transition from summer to fall patterns yet?
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/29/19 05:31 PM

Sure it`s quite ? hmmmOver my head You got me on that one but my last trip to the lake the numbers were still hanging out in Timber 12-14' in 25 Fow . 1/16oz early in the day & as the day grew longer 1/32oz hand ties were the trick with a slow up & down presentation with Mr Berkley hangin on. BETTER FISH CAUGHT IN THE HEAT of the AFTERNOON!!!
Posted By: CaptainCrunch

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/29/19 05:32 PM

Timber, 20 FOW. Forgive me for rambling on.

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/29/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fishbonz
Sure it`s quite ? hmmmOver my head You got me on that one but my last trip to the lake the numbers were still hanging out in Timber 12-14' in 25 Fow . 1/16oz early in the day & as the day grew longer 1/32oz hand ties were the trick with a slow up & down presentation with Mr Berkley hangin on. BETTER FISH CAUGHT IN THE HEAT of the AFTERNOON!!!

Yeah I had to correct that.....LOL
Any particular color working better?
Posted By: Cameron

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/29/19 06:46 PM

Livescope, 1/4oz hair jigs. 18-27 foot. Same pattern it’s been all summer....hunt em down! flag

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/29/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SK.

On Chambers for me it was Plain Head/slv bod/gry tail in 1/32oz that caught the larger fish! Hand Tied jig. thumb
Posted By: Resh

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/29/19 09:45 PM

Brush pile bite has really died off the last 10 days or so for me. Much better fish found on timber in 10-15ft. Using stump bugs or my hand ties on 1/8oz unpainted.

4th of July - donkeys on brush piles.
Second week of July until second week of August - lots of numbers but all fish from 9 3/4 - 10 1/8” on brush
Second week of August until last weekend - donkeys on brush piles again
Last 10 days or so fish seem to be stacked better on trees

That’s just me
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/29/19 11:19 PM

Its fixin ta be killin and grillin season 2019, but I prolly have another ketchin trip or two in me. thumb
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 01:33 AM

Haven't had the opportunity to fish much lately. This cancer #$%@! is really cutting into my crappie time but I'm about to get lined out and maybe can start posting some pics soon. Ya'll save me a few!
Posted By: CoachTod

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by bush hog
Haven't had the opportunity to fish much lately. This cancer #$%@! is really cutting into my crappie time but I'm about to get lined out and maybe can start posting some pics soon. Ya'll save me a few!

Prayers for you bush hog! Speedy recovery and look forward to seeing you back out on Murvaul!
Posted By: HV Lurenut

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 11:44 AM

1" clear slab bandits with tail dipped in chartreuse spike it on 1/16oz bladed jig. Fishing brush in 15-23 fow.
Posted By: THarris22

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 11:51 AM

Prayers up Bush Hog hope you get it lined out. You haven't missed much on Lake X the last few weeks but I'm sure they are under your docks. It's been to dang HOT.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 11:53 AM

Bush Hog that cancer [censored] has been following my family around all year long! I know how you feel. Continued prayers for you and yours brother!
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 12:19 PM

Hope you get this behind you soon BH, bird season is close... I didn't know.

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jig Man
Hope you get this behind you soon BH, bird season is close... I didn't know.

It's all good but I don't think I'll get to dove hunt this season......shoot a few for me! Been seeing quite a few around the house this year.

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 12:31 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll be fine but ya'll be careful out in this heat....fish under a bridge or umbrella. Quit at noon and go have some iced tea and a slice of pie. food
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Sure it's quite - 08/30/19 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by red snappa

Bush Hog that cancer [censored] has been following my family around all year long! I know how you feel. Continued prayers for you and yours brother!

Same here with my Family Rough year with cancer...Prayers to you Mr. Bush hog angel

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/01/19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Timber, 20 FOW. Forgive me for rambling on.

I don't think you had that rambling problem roflmao Stay At'um.....

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/01/19 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Livescope, 1/4oz hair jigs. 18-27 foot. Same pattern it’s been all summer....hunt em down! flag

Could you do it without LS or do you contribute your catches to LS? What length baits have you been using? Have color made a difference?

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/01/19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by SK.

On Chambers for me it was Plain Head/slv bod/gry tail in 1/32oz that caught the larger fish! Hand Tied jig. thumb

Small has definitely been the best for me and sound like a low contrast color has been best for you also.....

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/01/19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Reshelman
Brush pile bite has really died off the last 10 days or so for me. Much better fish found on timber in 10-15ft. Using stump bugs or my hand ties on 1/8oz unpainted.

4th of July - donkeys on brush piles.
Second week of July until second week of August - lots of numbers but all fish from 9 3/4 - 10 1/8” on brush
Second week of August until last weekend - donkeys on brush piles again
Last 10 days or so fish seem to be stacked better on trees

That’s just me

That is some serious info right there, my last trip I found my piles dead but found them on timber.....1st time I've ever seen so many dead stumps and brush piles in a while....

What color had been working best for you in the timber?

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/01/19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jig Man
Its fixin ta be killin and grillin season 2019, but I prolly have another ketchin trip or two in me. thumb

I was in the woods all day yesterday...... Getting close.... I'll be splitting my time up between huntn and fishn..... Can't leave those crappie alone for too long....LOL

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/01/19 10:02 PM

Prayers sent BH..... Get well soon brother..... YOU CAN DO IT!

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/01/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by HV Lurenut
1" clear slab bandits with tail dipped in chartreuse spike it on 1/16oz bladed jig. Fishing brush in 15-23 fow.

Are you using the garlic scented spike-it? Small has been key for me too.....

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/01/19 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by serj5150
Originally Posted by red snappa

Same here with my Family Rough year with cancer...Prayers to you Mr. Bush hog angel

It is hitting everyone, definitely a lot of it goin around now..... It claimed one of my relatives this week.....
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/02/19 11:11 PM

Sorry to hear that my friend.Our condolences. angel

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/04/19 01:22 AM

Managed to get away for a few hours yesterday evening. Found fish on the first stop in 25ft of water hugging a tree. Crappie were in about 18 fow. Flip out past the tree and let it fall back to them. The wind was giving me a lot of trouble so I had to go to a 1/8 oz. jig. Put 17 in the cooler before the little rascals caught on to my tricks and got the lockjaw.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/05/19 02:07 AM

The bite this summer has been slower than last summer. Still catching good numbers, limits or just shy of limits. Blew my motor two weekends ago and waiting on a replacement. Hitched a ride this past Saturday with a friend and we boated 49, week before the blown motor we put 42 in the box on Sat and Sun I had 25. Fish have been scattered out on brush piles. What I find odd is that my best producing piles are only in about 9fow and the fish are about 6ft down which I find very strange this time of year. Catching some fish on hair jigs with either a pink head and white body or grey jig with chartreuse or pink head. I will have to say that a "Monkey Milk" plastic with pink head has been the best producer. Early mornings with light winds have the fish spooky as all get out. Best tactic has been locating a pile and slipping a buoy out then backing off the pile + - 20ft or so and letting the jig swing over the pile with just a slight lope back to the boat. Majority of the time you don't even feel the fish suck the jig in as it falls following a lope. The key is paying attention and not getting overly aggressive on the hookset so as not to embed the barb into the brush and then having to pull on the pile. The important thing when fishing this way is to keep the jig just "tickling" the top of the brush or the sides of it. When I mark a pile I pay attention to how deep the top of it is. I carry a red marker on my boat and mark that depth on the line that way I know how deep the jig is as I am working it back to the boat. If I hang up I try and "bow n arrow" the jig loose. If that doesn't work then I run a Water Gremlin snap weight down the line and pop it loose. As a last resort I will pull over the top of a pile to try and save a hand tied jig. Especially, when fish are spooky. The fish are there just don't let them frustrate you and lull you into a trance of tunnel vision, stay on the move and remain persistent.

>E

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/11/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by SK.
What's working for you? Jig sizes, colors, depth of water and action? Are you seeing the fish starting their transition from summer to fall patterns yet?

PM sent

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/11/19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by SK.

PM sent

Re: Sure it's quite - 09/12/19 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by SK.

PM sent

Got it......
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum