Texas Fishing Forum

Time of day?

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Time of day? - 08/24/19 04:38 AM

All this talk about getting up at 6 to go crappie fish has got me thinking about the best time of day to go crappie fishing. I find that on most lakes I fish, particularly in the warmer months, that the crappie typically don’t bunch up on structure until about 10 o’clock when the sun gets up. I don’t find it necessary to hit the lake until about 10 or 11 because I catch the majority of my fish from about noon-6 in the hottest part of the day. I won’t even go out on a cloudy day in late spring or summer because the fish spread out. This has been a pretty consistent find for me. Winter it doesn’t matter as much, but I still have my best luck on sunny days in the middle of the day. What are y’all experiences?
Posted By: +h20

Re: Time of day? - 08/24/19 10:25 PM

Better bite have been early for me ...maybe it's in the mind but I struggled after 11 or so. As hot as it have been, I would not want be be out there past 1 or 2.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Time of day? - 08/24/19 11:24 PM

I do better after 10am as well this time of year. Any fish before that I consider a bonus.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Time of day? - 08/24/19 11:56 PM

I’m far from a great crappie fisherman, but the last month or so I don’t catch much till after about 9 am. All my life I have been an early morning fisherman, but it hasn’t worked lately. Maybe it’s just the season.
Posted By: shadboy

Re: Time of day? - 08/25/19 02:19 AM

Don’t know. However after I switched to smaller bait per McKinney instructions I started catching more today. Of course it was about 10 am when I switched.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Time of day? - 08/25/19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
I do better after 10am as well this time of year. Any fish before that I consider a bonus.

Plus #1. thumb

Re: Time of day? - 08/26/19 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2

Something we agree on? Lol
Posted By: crope1

Re: Time of day? - 08/27/19 10:42 AM

what size of bait and jighead are you using? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Time of day? - 08/27/19 03:39 PM

I find they bite best after breakfast and coffee,...and a good morning constitution, .... flush_2

Re: Time of day? - 08/27/19 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by crope1
right now I’m using either a 1/32oz on calm days, or a 1/16 oz with a #6 hook and a small slab bandit or a trimmed down thump buddy or Bobby garland.
Posted By: Krappie-King

Re: Time of day? - 08/27/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I’m far from a great crappie fisherman, but the last month or so I don’t catch much till after about 9 am. All my life I have been an early morning fisherman, but it hasn’t worked lately. Maybe it’s just the season.

I second this. I normally catch my fish early but the last couple times I fished they have really turned on around 9:00. This past weekend we pulled 12 big keepers off one pile as soon as it hit 9:00. I seem to catch more bass/catfish off the brush piles early morning.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Time of day? - 08/27/19 06:52 PM

In the summer I'll be leaving the lake with my limit when you're unloading your boat, before it's too hot and before having to deal with skiers and jet fleas.... cheers
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Time of day? - 08/28/19 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by crope1

There are hundreds of soft plastic rigged on light jigs that will work if you can find fish.
1/32, 1/24, 1/16 unpainted ball head jigs are all I need using different tail designs. Note: the shots taken were imaged because these lures catch ALL species.
Spike tail:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Thin flat tail (note clear plastic):

Crappie Magnet grub of course:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gary Yamamoto Kut Tail worm and 1/32 oz jig with #2 hook:

Beetle Spin and various soft plastic shapes:

Blunt tail grubs - fat & stubby or cone shaped:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Wacky rigged innovations always used with a light jig:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Time of day? - 08/28/19 04:29 AM

I don’t find it necessary to hit the lake until about 10 or 11 because I catch the majority of my fish from about noon-6 in the hottest part of the day.

When it comes to hours of the day to fish: I go when I go.
When I was stationed in the military in Texas for four years, it was hot !, with many days in the 90's. Being a young, fanatic angler with nothing better to do, I got out and fished from shore until I got a small jon boat. Back in the 70's there was no sonar or if there was, not affordable on my measly take home. Other than sunfish, I didn't know one fish species from my right foot until I started watching fishing shows on TV. (Even back then they were trying to sell you stuff.) On the hottest days I managed to catch fish and even tried night fishing for crappie but didn't do diddly.
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Time of day? - 09/02/19 02:43 PM

I think it has everything to do on how u approach the fish any time of year. I use live bait in the early morning or white/chartreuse or dark contrast colors. Do they bite more when they can see better, sure they do but I've caught many limits early. All in the application, use of sonar and practice.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum