Texas Fishing Forum

Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime?

Posted By: Asleep At The Reel

Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/21/19 11:35 PM

Did a little experiment here on Lake Palestine in August as to what works best. Minnows, Jigs or jigs with crappie nibbles. Results are pretty interesting.

Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/21/19 11:49 PM

Soft plastics on light jig heads anytime!

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/22/19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Soft plastics on light jig heads anytime!

I agree. I am jig 99.999% of the time. This is the first time I have bought Minnows in a LOOOOOONG time. Did it just for the show. Thanks for watching and the reply!
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/22/19 03:49 AM

My experience is that in the summer time I have best luck when I downsize my plastics. I make my 1/16 oz jig heads with a size 6 hook this time of year to match the small baits accordingly. If the bite really slows I’ll drop a 1/32 oz down.

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/22/19 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
My experience is that in the summer time I have best luck when I downsize my plastics. I make my 1/16 oz jig heads with a size 6 hook this time of year to match the small baits accordingly. If the bite really slows I’ll drop a 1/32 oz down.

I agree on that. I use BoneHead jigs and with the Stomp Bug we end up pulling the legs off and just leaving the tail. I put my weight on (slip weight) above a double circle swivel then a foot and a half leader to my jig. That way with livescope I can see both items and know where things are but it also makes the presentation look slower. I cannot tell you how many times I watch fish hit the weight!!! It is crazy.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/22/19 02:21 PM

Mostly we use jigs and jigs with crappie nibbles, but added minnows to the game recently. Caught more on the minnows than on the jigs on the last trip. One thing we have never tried is to drop down in jig size. I will start doing that.
Posted By: Buff2

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/22/19 04:40 PM

good video, thanks for posting it
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/22/19 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Mostly we use jigs and jigs with crappie nibbles, but added minnows to the game recently. Caught more on the minnows than on the jigs on the last trip. One thing we have never tried is to drop down in jig size. I will start doing that.

“Big bait big fish” is pretty much a myth. Match the hatch is the way to go. Right now, the lakes are FULL of shad and minnow fry that are about 1” long. The food is 1” long so it’s best to use a lure that’s 1” long. Along the same lines when the bait is big in late winter and early spring, a 3-3 1/2” bait will work really well.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/23/19 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Originally Posted by 603Country

“Big bait big fish” is pretty much a myth. Match the hatch is the way to go. Right now, the lakes are FULL of shad and minnow fry that are about 1” long. The food is 1” long so it’s best to use a lure that’s 1” long. Along the same lines when the bait is big in late winter and early spring, a 3-3 1/2” bait will work really well.

Totally Agree! Try to match the hatch! hooked
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/23/19 04:02 AM

Good job on the video. I'm jigs 99% of the time. Sometimes I will tip it with a nibble if the bite is slow. I will purchase minnows if I have someone who is inexperienced or kids on the boat. I just hate waiting until 7 for the bait guy to open and pay $4.75/dozen.

>E

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/23/19 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by canyoncreek06
Good job on the video. I'm jigs 99% of the time. Sometimes I will tip it with a nibble if the bite is slow. I will purchase minnows if I have someone who is inexperienced or kids on the boat. I just hate waiting until 7 for the bait guy to open and pay $4.75/dozen.

>E

HAHA, brother I agree and most of the time the lady that sells the minnows to me is in a bad mood. By 7 I am already on the lake and have a few fish in the boat.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/24/19 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Asleep At The Reel

>E

HAHA, brother I agree and most of the time the lade that sells the minnows to me is in a bad mood. By 7 I am already on the lake and have a few fish in the boat.

Yep, about a month or so ago I made a trip by myself. I was waiting on the park ranger to open the gate at 6. Splashed the boat at 6:05 and the first jig hit the water at 6:11. At 7 my watch alarm started beeping and I looked at the counter hanging on my PFD and it was a 17 fish. I just laughed to myself and said "I am already close to a limit and the minner killers are just now buying their bait". I was a good feeling. Also, the guy at the bait stand is either in a fowl mood or wants to talk your ear off about how he's losing minnows, etc. I'm like dude just fill the Engle, I got kids that are ready to catch some fish.

>E

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/24/19 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Asleep At The Reel

>E

HAHA, brother I agree and most of the time the lady that sells the minnows to me is in a bad mood. By 7 I am already on the lake and have a few fish in the boat.

Yep, about a month or so ago I made a trip by myself. I was waiting on the park ranger to open the gate at 6. Splashed the boat at 6:05 and the first jig hit the water at 6:11. At 7 my watch alarm started beeping and I looked at the counter hanging on my PFD and it was a 17 fish. I just laughed to myself and said "I am already close to a limit and the minner killers are just now buying their bait". I was a good feeling. Also, the guy at the bait stand is either in a fowl mood or wants to talk your ear off about how he's losing minnows, etc. I'm like dude just fill the Engle, I got kids that are ready to catch some fish.

>E

Oh yes, been there. I just get tired of putting a fish on a hook to catch a fish. This way I just reel in, throw it out and hopefully come back with one. Good stuff though, sounds like it was a GREAT day!
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/24/19 01:04 PM

Me like jigs... fish

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/26/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jig Man
Me like jigs... fish

HAHA Me too brother, Me too!
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/26/19 06:27 PM

I'm usually a jig fisherman but my buddy brought 3 dozen minnows out on our last trip. Minnows caught 3 x as many fish as I caught on my jig pole. Now I'm not so sure!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JSouther

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/29/19 12:31 AM

I prefer jigs but at lake Benbrook where i usually go I have never done very good with jigs until the spawn. The last 3 times I went out I would catch a few with minnows then drop down a jig and nothing. Tried downsizing, used tipped with nibbles and every color imaginable. I dunno going to try again in the morning.

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/29/19 12:32 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/29/19 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JSouther
I prefer jigs but at lake Benbrook where i usually go I have never done very good with jigs until the spawn. The last 3 times I went out I would catch a few with minnows then drop down a jig and nothing. Tried downsizing, used tipped with nibbles and every color imaginable. I dunno going to try again in the morning.

I really feel that it is based on the lake, the weather, the temp etc. there are so many variables. I used to only fish minnows because that is what I was taught. Then when I learned jigs I felt more comfortable and that is all I used. Nice catches by the way.

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/29/19 08:56 PM

Tried jigging first today after watching a few of your videos I found a pack of salt and pepper stump bugs in my tackle box. I ripped the legs off and dropped that dude down. It wasn’t down there a second and my pole doubled over. I think it was a big bass and snapped my line. Tied another one on and nothing. Minnows again today but were real slow. Caught 18 and a sunburn not a bad day. Enjoy the videos keep them coming learn something everyone I watch.

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/30/19 02:26 AM

Tried jigging first today after watching a few of your videos I found a pack of salt and pepper stump bugs in my tackle box. I ripped the legs off and dropped that dude down. It wasn’t down there a second and my pole doubled over. I think it was a big bass and snapped my line. Tied another one on and nothing. Minnows again today but were real slow. Caught 18 and a sunburn not a bad day. Enjoy the videos keep them coming learn something everyone I watch.

Haha Thank you so much. I am using BoneHead but that does not mean that is it right all of the time. There are times that you do not see in the video that BoneHead does not work, that I need to use a hand tied jig. Out of all the jigs that I use, I have the best luck with the BoneHead brand which is the only reason that I support them. I am not just going to support anyone, but they have good products. Today for instance I used BH and my Day used a hand tied jig. I think I caught more, but I threw away a bunch of small ones. The thing is play with them all and talk to people and find out what color is the best for that time of year. The color I am using now, is not going to work come May or June as well as other colors. Every lake is different, but THANK YOU for watching. It is much appreciated.

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/30/19 02:27 AM

Also I drop the entire jig down first, then if I catch nothing I rip the legs off.

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/30/19 02:41 AM

Good stuff former 13 bravo hooah. Thx for the posts

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 08/30/19 08:37 AM

Good stuff former 13 bravo hooah. Thx for the posts

Thanks for your service bro! Keep the lines wet!
Posted By: JD Reynolds8348

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 09/03/19 02:15 PM

Great video Chris!!
Sounds like you are doing great work for the Veterans!!
flag fish

Re: Minners or Jigs, which works best in Summertime? - 09/04/19 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by JD Reynolds8348
Great video Chris!!
Sounds like you are doing great work for the Veterans!!
flag fish

Thank you sir. Keep watching the channel. I am leaving Monday for the Gator hunt that we do every year. I am going to make a show out of this, well that is the plan. That should be up in a few weeks. Thanks for watching.
© 2019 Texas Fishing Forum