Texas Fishing Forum

Left the lake at the right time

Posted By: 603Country

Left the lake at the right time - 08/17/19 08:59 PM

Wife and I have been crappie fishing for the last 3 days, and had plans to stay at the COE Park till Sunday, but decided to go home this morning (had a good amount of fish already and had enough of the heat). As we were loading things up this morning, there was a steady stream of ski boats, pontoon boats, and ski-doos being launched. Crowds of people. The lake was lonely yesterday, and for a time I was the only boat in sight, but today will be a zoo. A really hot zoo.

Going to Bass Pro tomorrow. Gonna get some of that Spike It stuff HOGON talks about.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/17/19 11:05 PM

The greatness of being retired,...I dont have to plan my fishing around weekends...!!! banana
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/17/19 11:47 PM

FYI-

I recommend the Bottle of Spike It with the big open top.
I did not care for the pen or the spray.

When you use it. Hang on tight to the bottle and treat it with kid gloves.

If you spill it or get any on you then you will be smelling like a pizza all day. It's very very strong stuff.

Treat it like your handling a bottle of acid.

Ask me how I know. roflmao
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/17/19 11:52 PM

FYI...they also have clear, so you get the benefit of the garlic without changing the color. I've used it to pick up a few extra bites when they slow down on a good color.
Posted By: JIM SR.

How do you know ??? cool
Posted By: 603Country

So true that we retirees can avoid weekends on the lake. We camp and fish on weekdays. COE and State Parks are near empty and the lakes are too. I’ve been on lakes where I was the only fisherman. Of course a fellow then starts to wonder if maybe there are no fish here and I’m the only one that doesn’t know it.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/17/19 11:57 PM

Jim you crack me up roflmao
Posted By: RiverBanks

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/18/19 12:53 PM

Fish at the crack of dawn until about 10:00 and from just before dark till you get too tired to fish anymore. Then you avoid the heat, the jet skis, the water skiers, the bass boats and all the other idiots that populate the lake during the day.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/18/19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by RiverBanks
Fish at the crack of dawn until about 10:00 and from just before dark till you get too tired to fish anymore. Then you avoid the heat, the jet skis, the water skiers, the bass boats and all the other idiots that populate the lake during the day.

I’ve done this, but in my experience the best crappie fishing isn’t until the peak heat of the day
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/18/19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
The greatness of being retired,...I dont have to plan my fishing around weekends...!!! banana

Yes Sir! I fish mostly on the weekdays. Very rare I fish the weekends! Also some of the places I fish no one would every venture there! thumb Love being retired! cheers
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/18/19 05:07 PM

You guys must be Senagers like me. Best fishing day of the week is Wednesday but Tuesday's and Thursday's will do in a bind. cheers fish
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/18/19 07:36 PM

Me too. Ain't it wonderful Jim...…..
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/18/19 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

Yes Sir! I fish mostly on the weekdays. Very rare I fish the weekends! Also some of the places I fish no one would every venture there! thumb Love being retired! cheers

Aint it GREAT? bannana2
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/19/19 03:19 AM

Does anyone know what day of the week it will be tomorrow roflmao

Sometimes it's hard to keep up with it. I been retired so long I can barely remember having a job.

Wayne
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/19/19 04:18 AM

Right there with you retirees. I can fish any day I wish and usually be 1 of 4 or 5 boats on the lake. Living in Johnson county I usually fish Cleburne or Alvarado, very small lakes.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/19/19 02:38 PM

I NEVER fish on the weekend. It's just not worth it.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Left the lake at the right time - 08/20/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Originally Posted by RiverBanks

I’ve done this, but in my experience the best crappie fishing isn’t until the peak heat of the day

I would have to agree with this. Any fish before 10am is a bonus fish in my book.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum