Texas Fishing Forum

Lesson learned..

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Lesson learned.. - 07/09/19 08:54 PM

Today was experimental day. Watching the livescope after we caught several nice fish on a brushpile I could still see a lot of fish there but could not catch them.
I wondered, maybe they weren't crappie. They looked like crappie and acted like crappie but??? Today we brought along some crickets and guess what. After the crappie
stopped biting I tried the crickets and BAM caught the heck out of BIG BLUEGILLS. (and small ones as well) Some times the livescope will waste your time as well as save it.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Lesson learned.. - 07/10/19 12:35 PM

Fishn under LS yesterday proved that what you're sayn is totally true...... Found a pile covered in fish and after figuring out what jig they would hit up comes a couple of small bass and then gills.....

Amazing how big they showed up on LS.......
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: Lesson learned.. - 07/10/19 01:04 PM

What I have learned is that it is a “percentage game”, and the percentage changes daily, but still a percentage game. You get to a brush pile, see fish, drop jig and see “who wants to play”. There are x percent that want to play, 10 to 30 percent seems to be about average. Once you catch all the ones that want to play, move on to the next brush pile.

But yeah if I see fish don’t want to play, I move on, could be they are bluegill lol, but either case I move on. My first drop on a brush pile nearly always a hit. I have yet to see color of jig matters. I have not really tested size of bait yet. Action and placement seems to be what really matters.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Lesson learned.. - 07/10/19 01:14 PM

I'm going to bring some worms with me next time then, I miss catching tasty bluegills. thumb
Posted By: Buff2

Re: Lesson learned.. - 07/10/19 02:46 PM

Good information Thanks.

My buddy Slew taught me a couple of years ago to catch the 3 or 4 aggressive fish then move on.
This was before Livescope but I could see them on my 360 and had a hard time leaving fish.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Lesson learned.. - 07/10/19 03:11 PM

Hey Earnest..did you ever do the catfish trip with the livescope that you had mentioned?
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Lesson learned.. - 07/10/19 05:29 PM

Haven't gone for catfish yet but catch a lot of them when minnow fishing on brushpiles.
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: Lesson learned.. - 07/12/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY
Today was experimental day. Watching the livescope after we caught several nice fish on a brushpile I could still see a lot of fish there but could not catch them.
I wondered, maybe they weren't crappie. They looked like crappie and acted like crappie but??? Today we brought along some crickets and guess what. After the crappie
stopped biting I tried the crickets and BAM caught the heck out of BIG BLUEGILLS. (and small ones as well) Some times the livescope will waste your time as well as save it.

There are big gills on Lewisville??
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Lesson learned.. - 07/12/19 09:32 PM

Big Bluegills are never a waste of time. More fun to catch. Better eating than crappie.

Worms. Never leave home without them grin

Great report Ernest. Danke sehr !
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum