Texas Fishing Forum

What to do now?

Posted By: kemon86

What to do now? - 07/08/19 11:00 PM

Got into crappie fishing this year and the last 2 weeks have had 0 luck on Cedar Creek. Should I go deeper or are they done biting for the summer?
Posted By: bush hog

Re: What to do now? - 07/08/19 11:36 PM

Although they can be hard to find, crappie have to eat in the summer too. I don't fish Cedar Creek but I know it has lots of boat houses....try some dock shooting. Depending where the bait fish are and their comfort range crappie will go to deeper water and suspend in the summer. They will still relate to structure whether it's brush piles or standing timber. Watch your line closely.... the summer bite is typically very light. Maybe some Cedar Creek fishermen will jump in here and help you. Good Luck and hang in there.. thumb
Posted By: Lake Life

Re: What to do now? - 07/09/19 12:24 AM

I have never fished that lake, but I would say to look deeper. Today I found them in 30 feet of water, 15 to 20 feet down on timber.
Posted By: kemon86

Re: What to do now? - 07/09/19 07:18 PM

There’s hardly any timber in CC. You won’t find many docks in deeper than 10-15 ft either. The brushpiles I was fishing 3 weeks ago were loaded and also in 15 ft of water.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: What to do now? - 07/09/19 07:42 PM

Go book you a trip with Chuck Rollins at Big Crappie Dot Com. Chuck runs 3 and 4 boats year around on CC and mostly for crappie. They have almost 1000 brush piles that they fish and keep track of. He will put you on some fish and show you what you need to know.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: What to do now? - 07/09/19 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by kemon86
Got into crappie fishing this year and the last 2 weeks have had 0 luck on Cedar Creek. Should I go deeper or are they done biting for the summer?
PM sent
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: What to do now? - 07/09/19 08:41 PM

Have you quit eating for the summer? Crappie eat almost everyday year round. My favorite time is summer and fall. They get on a pattern and stay with it almost all the time.
Bridges are very dependable as are brushpiles if you can find them. On the bridges start on the ends, the current is stronger there so there's more bait fish.
Docks are very dependable but look for the deepest ones with the best shade. Cedar creek has virtually no timber so forget that. Also it's a shallow lake so forget going too deep. I would fish the outer ends of the pipelines where the water is pumped out of the lake.

Cedar creek is the easiest lake to catch crappie on that I have ever fished once you learn the pattern.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum