Texas Fishing Forum

ProAngler 1201 rods

Posted By: Dwight Hardy

ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/26/19 01:44 PM

Anyone have and use the 1201?
If so what are your thoughts on the rod?
Posted By: UJC

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/26/19 05:54 PM

The 1201 was used for my spider rigging fishing 9 (14' and 16' too) until the advent of LiveScope. I now fish with it when not spider rigging and the 10' (prior to LiveScope) depending on the structure I am fishing. I thought it would be too heavy to fish all day but have found this to not be true - not a problem for me. When fishing tournaments, my partner uses the 1201 while I use the 10' because I'm controlling the boat upfront. We have found this setup works for us because of my boat.

We haven't experienced any issues with catching or slinging fish in. On tournament days, we use a net for obvious reasons, otherwise, slinging is what we do. The 1201 has mono so it has some stretch but we are still able to sling. Now if I ever hook the elusive 3lber, and not fishing a tournament, I am going to do as the bass guys do from the side of the boat to lip the monster - I'm taking no chances no matter the rod!

I find all the PAT rods to be backbone, sensitive and price point friendly.
Posted By: fishinman

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/26/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by UJC
The 1201 was used for my spider rigging fishing 9 (14' and 16' too) until the advent of LiveScope. I now fish with it when not spider rigging and the 10' (prior to LiveScope) depending on the structure I am fishing. I thought it would be too heavy to fish all day but have found this to not be true - not a problem for me. When fishing tournaments, my partner uses the 1201 while I use the 10' because I'm controlling the boat upfront. We have found this setup works for us because of my boat.

We haven't experienced any issues with catching or slinging fish in. On tournament days, we use a net for obvious reasons, otherwise, slinging is what we do. The 1201 has mono so it has some stretch but we are still able to sling. Now if I ever hook the elusive 3lber, and not fishing a tournament, I am going to do as the bass guys do from the side of the boat to lip the monster - I'm taking no chances no matter the rod!

I find all the PAT rods to be backbone, sensitive and price point friendly.

Well said!

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/26/19 08:47 PM

Yeap I’m looking for more backbone than the 10’ers I reall like them but they are a little short on backbone.

Wish ProAngler made a heavier weight 10’er

Anyone know of a good 10’ rod with more backbone?
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/26/19 09:41 PM

fish I Like both my P A rods had a 10ft. for 6/7 yr hauled in lotta slabs. Some 4& 5 lb lmb. And few nice cats.no problem.Have whacked on tree limds etc. setting the hook .Still in one piece.My 8ft is fairly new, with weather and work since about sept. I have yet to really use it. But like already said , good backbone & good Price. Give Ed a call.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/26/19 10:17 PM

I like 9' rods. My perfect 9'er is a 10' with 1' cut off the tip. Perfect, sensitive and all backbone.

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/26/19 11:11 PM

[align:right][/align]
Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY
I like 9' rods. My perfect 9'er is a 10' with 1' cut off the tip. Perfect, sensitive and all backbone.

You know that gives me in ideal for a rod that broke about 8” from the tip.
Did you use an end guide an If so where did you find one large enough?
Thanks
Posted By: slabnut

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/27/19 12:05 AM

Look at the Todd Huckabee " Meat Dragger "
Great rod!
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/27/19 01:17 AM

Most rod tip repair kits have 3 sizes of tips. If one of these won't fit take the rod into basspro, Cabellos or Barlows and they should have one that will fit.
Posted By: CRAPPIEboy33

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/28/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Hardy
Yeap I’m looking for more backbone than the 10’ers I reall like them but they are a little short on backbone.

Todd huckabee Rods!!! Don’t get no more back bone then those. The meat dragger would have the most.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/28/19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CRAPPIEboy33

Todd huckabee Rods!!! Don’t get no more back bone then those. The meat dragger would have the most.

Do you have problems with the tips breaking?
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/28/19 04:20 PM

Love the proangler rods. I use them for crappie and catch lots of big bass and striper on them. All the things that happen while fishing that break a rod have little effect on these rods.
Posted By: slabnut

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/28/19 08:08 PM

Never had a Huckabee break but they do sell replacement tips.

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/29/19 11:32 PM

Well I have 6 ProAngler Rods 3-8’ and 3-10’ and like them a lot. I ordered 2-1201s and the first time out the tip broke on the only one I took. 2# crappie lifting In boat.
Called ProAngler and got quizzed some which I would expect and do myself. They agreed to send new tip but I could tell that they just as soon not. Never got a shipping notice,still haven’t, but I emailed yesterday asking if the tip had been shipped. Got a reply and I quote, it shipped , no other comments at all.
I replied that I hope I had not been an inconvenience but got no reply.

I like their rods and any make can have a failure.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/30/19 12:21 AM

I have a couple like that noidea I love them, sensitive to the bite, and great for pulling crappie straight up outta tree tops quickly.

fish
` hooked

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 06/30/19 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.

I have a couple like that noidea I love them, sensitive to the bite, and great for pulling crappie straight up outta tree tops quickly.

fish
` hooked

Did they become 9’ because the tip broke?
Posted By: CRAPPIEboy33

Re: ProAngler 1201 rods - 07/01/19 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Originally Posted by CRAPPIEboy33

Do you have problems with the tips breaking?

Haven’t yet. But they also sell replacement tips if I do.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum