Texas Fishing Forum

Electric Knife Safety

Posted By: Rod737

Electric Knife Safety - 06/02/19 09:58 AM

I did some research.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Electric Knife Safety - 06/02/19 12:42 PM

Careful with the advice there son.

If anything's plugged into 110v, it can shock you.

The "double insulation" comes from the construction of the appliance. If you ever had an old, say, metal framed drill motor go bad on you, and would shock the fear out of you, then you'll understand. New appliances are made with a plastic housing, giving them the second level of insulation protection.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Electric Knife Safety - 06/02/19 12:54 PM

I understand all the above BUT...I either use battery power or filet knife..............and being we on Safety I try always to use those Kelvar/metal mesh Glove on fish handling hand...Just in case !!

Them gloves Help you hold slimy fish too as well as protect you from cuts....
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Electric Knife Safety - 06/02/19 01:18 PM

In regards to your statement above, I can postulate that you have zero knowledge or understanding of electricity and electrical theory. I sincerely pray that no one will replicate what you did. I strongly advise that you reconsider your future actions.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Electric Knife Safety - 06/02/19 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rod737
I did some research. This is what I found. 110 volt electric knives are Double Insulated Tools (DITs). DITs are designed to be used in wet environments and are safe to use in wet conditions; however, it is recommended that if you drop a DIT into water not to reach in an get it. I took an electric knife turned it on with the lock on and dropped it in a sink of water. It was not affected being underwater and continued to run with out any damage to the knife. The electric motor winding, brushes and leads never came in contact with the water. It shot a little geyser of water up from the spinning shaft fan blades that cool the motor housing. I let it run for several minutes before unplugging it. I googled it and searched OSHA web site and found 0 reports of anyone being electrocuted or injured by electricity while using an electric knife or any type of double insulated tool. I also learned that a GFCI protector will not work with a DIT because they have no ground wire. They don't need a ground wire because they are double insulated therefore can not cause electric shock.

This is toxic, highly dangerous advice. Double insulated is not the same as water proof. Please delete your post if you still can.
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Electric Knife Safety - 06/02/19 11:33 PM

I am no electrician but I do know I have had more than one of the Mr Twister knives that would give you a zap when they got older. I have had several of them and just replaced them when they started to “tingle”
Posted By: Rod737

Re: Electric Knife Safety - 06/03/19 10:26 AM

I am not giving advice. I stated facts as I know them. Each person is own their own when it comes to anything so be careful.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Electric Knife Safety - 06/03/19 12:17 PM

hmmm
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Electric Knife Safety - 06/03/19 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Originally Posted by Rod737
I did some research. This is what I found. 110 volt electric knives are Double Insulated Tools (DITs). DITs are designed to be used in wet environments and are safe to use in wet conditions; however, it is recommended that if you drop a DIT into water not to reach in an get it. I took an electric knife turned it on with the lock on and dropped it in a sink of water. It was not affected being underwater and continued to run with out any damage to the knife. The electric motor winding, brushes and leads never came in contact with the water. It shot a little geyser of water up from the spinning shaft fan blades that cool the motor housing. I let it run for several minutes before unplugging it. I googled it and searched OSHA web site and found 0 reports of anyone being electrocuted or injured by electricity while using an electric knife or any type of double insulated tool. I also learned that a GFCI protector will not work with a DIT because they have no ground wire. They don't need a ground wire because they are double insulated therefore can not cause electric shock.

This is toxic, highly dangerous advice. Double insulated is not the same as water proof. Please delete your post if you still can.

Obviously you received more "dane bramage" than you thought you did.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum