Texas Fishing Forum

Something different tomorrow

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Something different tomorrow - 05/20/19 07:35 PM

[Linked Image]

While crappie fishing from my dock today I caught these two nice catfish. For a change of pace we decided to fish for catfish tomorrow.
We plan to turn the boat around in the slip and use the livescope out side the slip. We will bait the area with the fish carcasses we had
left today and use the livescope to see what comes to the gut pile and to see if we could catch them.

I will record the livescope plus record us fishing with my gopro. Might be interesting. Gotta have something to do on a stormy day when
the crappie probably won't bite.

Stay tuned.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/21/19 02:05 AM

When I was a kid we use to fish near the crappie cleaning table at nigh on Tawakoni. We always caught channels and blues. My largest catfish to date was a 32 lb blue fishing this way. It seemed like a whale to a 13 year old.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/21/19 02:44 AM

cheers THAT IS A WHALE EVEN TO GROWN MAN WTG
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/21/19 12:00 PM

Earnest, do you know if the Livescope will show a thermocline when it does set up?

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/21/19 07:50 PM

Earnest, do you know if the Livescope will show a thermocline when it does set up?

Don't know. Interesting question, will check it out when it happens.
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/22/19 01:23 AM

So were the cat crappie biting or what? crazy
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/22/19 02:24 AM

Not that I PERSONALLY care but out of curiosity, does chumming an area with crappie carcasses break or bend the law regarding using game fish as bait? What's the line?
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/22/19 03:04 AM

Using the carcasses to attract fish would seem to be bending the regulations at a minimum.
I would not do it.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/22/19 03:11 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Jerod Pontello

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/22/19 03:37 AM

Shouldn’t be illegal sense your not actually catching the catfish with the crappie on the hook be a good question to ask a warden
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/22/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by lowew79
Not that I PERSONALLY care but out of curiosity, does chumming an area with crappie carcasses break or bend the law regarding using game fish as bait? What's the line?

I would think the "line" is drawn at what you put on your hook.
Seems to me that using the carcass of a gamefish and putting a live baitfish on a hook are two totally different things.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/22/19 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Using the carcasses to attract fish would seem to be bending the regulations at a minimum.
I would not do it.

It is fully legal to do that as long as you don't put it on the hook.

Re: Something different tomorrow - 05/22/19 06:14 PM

We put the carcasses in the lake anyway. We only did it to see what would happen. We attracted a bunch of fish to the spot but guess what, not a one bit our baits. Video later.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum